Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where to Find 105 Derailleur Part

Options
  • 16-10-2013 12:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,238 ✭✭✭

I lost the part marked in the picture below (cycling to the shop to get a new cable having removed the old broken one and forgot to tighten or remove the bolt) and I've been looking on CRC without success. They sell various bolts and I assume it's a standard size but I can't see the little washer thing that clamps the cable. I'd be surprised if it isn't being sold somewhere but the lack of appropriate keywords is hampering my search.

Anyone able to point me in the right direction?

276114.jpg

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭bcmf

I have a smashed up Campag mech here that the 'cable securing bolt' may fit.
    Let me know if its any help to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

This is where http://techdocs.shimano.com is awesome.

It gives you part codes for weird missing parts which you can search online, but also gives specs for nuts and bolts, so you can replace them with generic ones.

In this case, the bolt is "Cable Fixing Bolt (M5 x 8.5)". M5 is the bolt width, 8.5 is the length in mm.

Oddly there's no classification for the screw head - so you could get a M5 bolt with a standard phillips head. In this case you want a 5mm hex socket head. Any 2mm thick washer will do fine for gripping the cable, you don't need the specific part.

You can pick the correct screw size up in any hardware, but I find the hex socket headed ones really hard to come by. They're usually standard screw head or bolt heads.

Luckily the M5 bolt is used pretty widely on bikes, so you might be able to improvise with a bottle mount screw or similar. It's also the exact same one used on the front mech, if you happen to have one of them spare.

If you want to do it properly, a quick google for "M5 x 8.5" turned up this:
    http://www.ukbikestore.co.uk/product/118/5xh_9802/shimano-rd-5700-cable-fixing-bolt-m5-x-8-5mm.html

• Registered Users Posts: 5,238 ✭✭✭humbert

Thanks. That's a bit like what I'm doing at the moment. Using the bolt, which is longer, from my commuter bike (waiting on a tyre for that in case you're wondering why on earth I didn't take it to the shop) and its washer which is different but works.

I used bcmf's 'cable securing bolt' which led me to 'cable fixing bolt and anchor plate' which led me to this:
    http://www.ebay.ie/itm/Shimano-Ultegra-RD-6500-Road-Rear-Derailleur-Cable-Fixing-Bolt-Anchor-Plate-/310369434049?pt=US_Derailleurs_Rear&hash=item484375b9c1

Doesn't give much in the way of details but I searched the MPN and can verify it's the same bolt Seamus describes and the 'anchor plate' looks identical.

• Registered Users Posts: 830 ✭✭✭Slo_Rida

humbert wrote: »
    I lost the part marked in the picture below (cycling to the shop to get a new cable having removed the old broken one and forgot to tighten or remove the bolt) and I've been looking on CRC without success. They sell various bolts and I assume it's a standard size but I can't see the little washer thing that clamps the cable. I'd be surprised if it isn't being sold somewhere but the lack of appropriate keywords is hampering my search.

Anyone able to point me in the right direction?

276114.jpg

I wrecked a 105 rear derailluer a couple of summers back but kept it. That bolt and plate should be perfect. I'll check it when I get home and it's yours if you want it.
    I'll post it up for free, maybe you could throw a donation into Padraig's cancer fund if you feel like it.
    I'm in North Tipp.
    Slo

Slo_Rida wrote: »
    I wrecked a 105 rear derailluer a couple of summers back but kept it. That bolt and plate should be perfect. I'll check it when I get home and it's yours if you want it.
    I'll post it up for free, maybe you could throw a donation into Padraig's cancer fund if you feel like it.
    I'm in North Tipp.
    Slo
    Ah crap, I've just ordered the one from ebay. If for some reason it's not compatible I'll take you up on the offer.

Thanks all the same.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,076 ✭✭✭gman2k

I've found http://www.sjscycles.co.uk/ the best site for Shimano spare parts. Once you have the part number via the shimano tech docs site, then search here, or even give them a ring!

gman2k wrote: »
    I've found http://www.sjscycles.co.uk/ the best site for Shimano spare parts. Once you have the part number via the shimano tech docs site, then search here, or even give them a ring!
    Yeah, they were the only UK/Ireland site that came up when I was searching. They had the same part, but for the brakes, listed. I'll keep them in mind if I'm stuck in the future.

Advertisement