Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Giro d'Jigsaw Sportive - Galway 20/oct

Options
  • 15-10-2013 11:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 481 ✭✭

Is their many here doing this on Sunday, its pretty much the last big thing in Galway before the long nights.
    It should be a bit of craic and for a good cause, ive done Great Spin Out West but it hailed rain and I didnt enjoy it so will do this as the start to my 3week break off the bike (3weeks of core and soccer!).
    http://www.jigsaw.ie/GiroDJigsawCycle
    Giro%20Banner.jpg
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,322 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

Yep, planning on doing this. Did it last year (before they named it the 'Giro' :) ), was good fun and we got decent weather. Jigsaw are a very good local support group. I'm praying for good weather on Sunday! :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

That hill coming left out of Moycullen towards Spiddal is going to catch a lot of people out on the 50km route, I'd predict a lot of people dismounting halfway up.

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭paulgalway

Seaneh wrote: »
    That hill coming left out of Moycullen towards Spiddal is going to catch a lot of people out on the 50km route, I'd predict a lot of people dismounting halfway up.

I think the choice of route for the 50Km will deter a lot of people from participating. Barna - Moycullen rd. and Moycullen - Spiddal will be tough for a lot of people who don't cycle to some extent.

I know a few people who were going to do this but when they found about the route, they changed their mind.

BTW: Some guy was on the GBFM this morning, 70 have signed up, but they expect more to sign-up on the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 481 ✭✭Mechanic365

paulgalway wrote: »

I know a few people who were going to do this but when they found about the route, they changed their mind.

BTW: Some guy was on the GBFM this morning, 70 have signed up, but they expect more to sign-up on the day.

70 for the whole thing??

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

I hope a lot more sign up, Headstrong/Jigsaw do some fantastic work and need all the support they can get, if I was still out whest I'd be doing the 100km route.

I actually think the rest of the route is fine, just that fecking hill is hard work sometimes, I've been very near dismounting a few times, gets very steep in parts.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭paulgalway

70 for the whole thing??

Didn't give the split.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,485 ✭✭✭at1withmyself

Seaneh wrote: »
    I hope a lot more sign up, Headstrong/Jigsaw do some fantastic work and need all the support they can get, if I was still out whest I'd be doing the 100km route.

I actually think the rest of the route is fine, just that fecking hill is hard work sometimes, I've been very near dismounting a few times, gets very steep in parts.

The hill is fine, its only about 1.5 km in length and the gradient isn't that bad if you take it easy and go in a low gear. If anyone is considering it I definitely wouldn't let the hill put you off. Just take it easy and enjoy it.

Last year did the 100 km option without stopping and got caught about 25m to the top of the Barna climb by the lead group :mad:, I thought they'd at least let me take the climb before catching me :rolleyes:

Won't be there myself but enjoy, lovely route....

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Rothaiocht

Hi

Is it recommended to bring your own supplies or does anyone know if the water stations are frequent and if they have any snacks to keep you going?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,485 ✭✭✭at1withmyself

Taken from website:

Rest stops:

There is a rest stop on both the 108km Super Cycle and the 50km Challenge Cycle. The 108km Super Cycle rest stop will be located 1km after the turn at Maam Cross. The 50km Challenge Cycle rest stop will be located beside the Texaco garage in Spiddal.

Rothaiocht wrote: »
    Hi

Is it recommended to bring your own supplies or does anyone know if the water stations are frequent and if they have any snacks to keep you going?

It's a long way to the food stop so I'll definitely be bringing lots of water and supplies with me. I don't want to get a hunger knock out in the back end of nowhere in Connemara :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,208 ✭✭✭ratracer

I'm in with a group of six doing the 108km route. Hope the wind isn't too bad on the day.

I was worried when I got up this morning and it was raining.... but the day didn't turn out too bad! Doing the reverse route ended up being a good decision by the organisers, the tailwind coming in along the coast from Spiddal made a big difference. I didn't have much mileage in the legs before today so I was concerned how I would hold up.. but I ended up doing the route at an average speed of ~30km/h so I'm very happy with that! :)

Advertisement