Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Looking for recommendations for a new hardtail MTB around €1200!

Options
  • 15-10-2013 2:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭

I'm looking to spend about €1200 max on a hardtail MTB. I plan to use it on the trails up in Ticknock so it will need to be able to take a bit of abuse.

I can't see myself changing any of the components either so really looking for the best all round spec for about €1200. I will be availing of the Bike To Work scheme so it would need to be available in a shop involved in the scheme. Second hand it not an option.

I like the new 2014 Giant XTC 3 29er but it would cost me about €1600 which is outside my price range. Either 27.5 or 29 is fine.

So, looking for some recommendations from the experts :-). Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 268 ✭✭get on your bike

Dazzy wrote: »
    I'm looking to spend about €1200 max on a hardtail MTB. I plan to use it on the trails up in Ticknock so it will need to be able to take a bit of abuse.

I can't see myself changing any of the components either so really looking for the best all round spec for about €1200. I will be availing of the Bike To Work scheme so it would need to be available in a shop involved in the scheme. Second hand it not an option.

I like the new 2014 Giant XTC 3 29er but it would cost me about €1600 which is outside my price range. Either 27.5 or 29 is fine.

So, looking for some recommendations from the experts :-). Thanks!

I pulled the trigger on a rockhopper Pro evo 29er a few weeks ago. Love it and pretty much your budget

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭Dazzy

Thanks. Did you go for the 2013 model?

• Registered Users Posts: 268 ✭✭get on your bike

Thanks. Did you go for the 2013 model?
    went for 2014. There's quite a few differences in spec and of course the colour is nicer but seriously better brakes, chain Gaurd on it and few other bits and pieces

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭ford2600

This http://www.adverts.ie/mountain-bikes/kinesis-maxlight-mountain-bike/3962551

if you go 2nd hand.
    His looking for 800. If you got for 700 would be very close to 1200 on BTW even if on high tax band.

Nice fork, tubeless wheels, spare tyres, good fork. Won't get that spec new for 1200

Thanks for suggesting that.
    My thinking is that I could get a similar spec (maybe not as good but similar) for the same cost to me using the BTW scheme, and the bike would be new with a guarantee. It also looks like that bike has a lot of experience based on the description which would put me off.

To entice me to buy second hand it would want to be a fantastic deal, i.e. a deal worth the risk of buying second hand.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,022 ✭✭✭Colonel Panic

How come you're after 27.5" or 29"? I'm in a similar spot trying to research MTBs with your budget but I've only ridden on 26" wheels in Ballinastoe and Ticknock and quite like them. I wanted to get a Specialized, but they don't seem to do 26ers anymore!

I'm new to this MTB thing and from the conversations with Bike Shops and people who are into MTB the consensus seems to be that 27.5 is replacing (or at least becoming more popular) than the 26 so the 2 options are really either 27.5 or 29. I reckon the 27.5 is more agile on a trail but the 29 would be better on the road. I will be doing a mix of both road and trail so either works for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,022 ✭✭✭Colonel Panic

That's fair enough. I'm going to have to try a 29er for myself but I think I'd rather stick with the agility personally so maybe 27.5 might suit me better.

• Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭ravendude

I can't see myself changing any of the components either so really looking for the best all round spec for about €1200.

:D Yeah I thought that too when I bought my first mountain bike, then you find yourself sitting at home after a cracking spin and "browsing" CRC - now I've 3 bikes out in the shed and far too many parts all over the place. No regrets whatsoever though, its probably the most fun sport you can do in this country :)

ravendude wrote: »
    :D Yeah I thought that too when I bought my first mountain bike, then you find yourself sitting at home after a cracking spin and "browsing" CRC - now I've 3 bikes out in the shed and far too many parts all over the place. No regrets whatsoever though, its probably the most fun sport you can do in this country :)

I could easily end up like that but I'm trying to convince myself I won't. I was looking at the Giant XTC as its supposed to have a great carbon frame to build on but its just too expensive and I would end up replacing bits.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭rizzodun

I got a 2013 Trek Mamba 29er myself this summer, got it for €1000 so in your budget, loving the bike and its stood up to the abuse well, I find it very maneuverable despite the bigger wheel, my only gripe is the brakes can be a bit weak,but all in all a great riding bike.

For general riding in this country, if you are not planning on racing cross country specifically, and want to do the more "fun stuff" with a bit of confidence, I'd definitely recommend a steel hardtail, - probably a long enough travel one (c 140mm fork). Stay away from aluminium hard-tails unless you want a dose of back ache after every spin, - steel or carbon are much nicer to ride.

Most people make the mistake of getting a "very xc" hardtail to start with, - I know I did and ended up replacing it for something that will let you get stuck into the more technical stuff. If you know you're interests lie more in XC, by all means go for a "more xc" bike.

In true mountain biking, the descents are what its all about. If you're not racing XC, - its better to go for something with a bit more of a slacker head angle, and with a more comfortable riding position. An XC hardtail tends to have you spread out over the bike and you're weight forward (feels dodgier when descending), - but will be more efficient at climbing.

Personally, I'd look at something like these, but there are quite a few steel hardtail options):

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/ie/en/commencal-meta-ht-2-hardtail-bike-2014/rp-prod108528
    (I think you'd find a better spec than this for the money if you looked to be honest)

http://www.on-one.co.uk/i/q/CBOO456EVO2/on_one_456_evo2_shimano_deore_mountain_bike
    (The on-one is a bit more downhill oriented and ha a very slack head angle).

As regards 27.5 versus 26, - all things being equal between 2 bikes, I'd go for the 27.5 inch, - but wouldn't hesitate either on a good deal on a nice 26 inch bike.

For the money you're spending, - I'd be inclined to go second hand.
    Its just at the end of the season (racing , and the summer biking season, - a lot of lads racing would be offloading their bikes to get set up for next season) so there are lots of very good deals to be had.

http://www.pinkbike.com/buysell/list/?region=5&countryid=86&category=2

ravendude wrote: »
    For the money you're spending, - I'd be inclined to go second hand.
    Its just at the end of the season (racing , and the summer biking season, - a lot of lads racing would be offloading their bikes to get set up for next season) so there are lots of very good deals to be had.

http://www.pinkbike.com/buysell/list/?region=5&countryid=86&category=2

I looked through all of those and it seems that any of the relatively newer bikes are only discounted by about €500 (The Cube and this one http://www.pinkbike.com/buysell/1443776/). If I use the BTW scheme I would get for the same bike for the same price except it would be new. Am I missing something?:confused:

I like that Giant Trance!

Ah yeah, sorry, forgot you were using the bike to work, - def go new in that case!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,753 ✭✭✭C3PO

I like that Giant Trance!

The Trance is not a hardtail!

C3PO wrote: »
    The Trance is not a hardtail!

I know, but its a very nice bike.
    One of the reasons I am going for a hardtail is that the components will be better at my price range and I don't plan on changing components. However, I'd jump at that Giant if it was within my price range.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,753 ✭✭✭C3PO

Most important thing is to make sure you get decent forks - frames will be "much of muchness" at that price point! Personally I wouldn't settle for anything less than RockShox Reba's or Fox 32s and I would pay a bit more if necessary to get them!

Advertisement