Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Any cycling balaclava suggestions?

Options
  • 15-10-2013 1:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭

Hi Folks,

I'm looking for a cycling balaclava for the winter, I know there are loads about but has anyone any suggestions.

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,277 ✭✭✭MB Lacey

Wouldn't a balaclava get way too hot?
    You might try a Buff which can cover most of your face, and a hat which covers your ears?

I use one of these buffs
    and this Rapha winter hat (brilliant)

• Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭Rita1

MB Lacey wrote: »
    You might try a Buff which can cover most of your face, and a hat which covers your ears?

I use one of these buffs

Yeah, maybe you right....see this is the advise I'm looking for :D
    Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭marvin80

Aldi had running gear on sale last Thursday and had a Buff style thing. I bought one - should do the job

• Registered Users Posts: 1,854 ✭✭✭Rogue-Trooper

I have one of these - it's great in the cold weather. It's really light so doesn't overheat you and the front piece pulls down really easily when on the move if you want it out of the way. I got one last winter and wore it every day and kept the cold/wind/rain off my head.

3001250_w.jpg

marvin80 wrote: »
    Aldi had running gear on sale last Thursday and had a Buff style thing. I bought one - should do the job

What about my big ears, they will freeze.
    I have one of these - it's great in the cold weather. It's really light so doesn't overheat you and the front piece pulls down really easily when on the move if you want it out of the way. I got one last winter and wore it every day and kept the cold/wind/rain off my head.

I must say that looks the part, I will look into these, cheers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭slideshow bob

I use one of these buffs
    +1

• Registered Users Posts: 3,830 ✭✭✭catweazle

I have something similar to Rogue Trooper - they are great as I suffer very badly from cold!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭aFlabbyPanda

I've got one of these and its perfect. Like a ninja!

http://goo.gl/mfNc0N

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭cyclic

This is Ireland, not Norway. Unless you're going to rob a bank or join an underground movement, a balaclava will mark you out as an object of derision.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭ford2600

cyclic wrote: »
    This is Ireland, not Norway. Unless you're going to rob a bank or join an underground movement, a balaclava will mark you out as an object of derision.

Not necessary for me 360 days of year. Had a very light fleece one for Etape Ras Mumhnan last March.
    2C with a cutting easterly wind. I was glad of it that day

• Advertisement

I'm not looking for the one with three holes in it lol. I may be swaying towards the snood and hat.

Thanks for the feedback folks.

I'm not looking for the one with three holes in it lol. I may be swaying towards the snood and hat.

Thanks for the feedback folks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

What are you talking about? Stop watching love/hate would be my suggestion.

+1 for the buff scarf. You just need to decide which material you want. There's microfibre, cotton and fleece.

The cotton one is fine for me, but everybody is different.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,651 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

+1 on the buff, oxford also make an identical item for marginally cheaper in alot of LBSs

• Registered Users Posts: 3,477 ✭✭✭rollingscone

Buff and merino wool skullcap for me. You'll probably find yourself pulling them off at lights on numerous occasions as you heat up. Easier by far to snag off a skull cap and pull down a buff than wrestling with a balaclava

Easier by far to snag off a skull cap and pull down a buff than wrestling with a balaclava

The great thing about the one I linked to is the front part is 'hinged' so can be pulled down on the move if you want to release your cheesy grin.

It's also 'wafer-thin' (has to be pronounced in an outrageous French accent) so no overheating issues and doesn't require a helmet adjustment.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

+1, only bit of rapha gear i own, but have to say it's superb, toasty ears no matter the weather

• Registered Users Posts: 830 ✭✭✭Slo_Rida

3001250_w.jpg

So is this thing in 2 separate parts ie the neck warmer and the skully? If so I'll get me one.

Slo_Rida wrote: »
    So is this thing in 2 separate parts ie the neck warmer and the skully? If so I'll get me one.

Nope - all one piece, but the front part can be pulled right down under your chin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 527 ✭✭✭joeperry

Yes agree on the hat and buff combo, nice and cosy for when setting off then real easy to remove quickly and safely while still moving. A pair of clear glasses and it's very good protection from cold and wind.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,651 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

joeperry wrote: »
    A pair of clear glasses and it's very good protection from cold and wind.

Forgot about those, very important on a cold night/day.

The great thing about the one I linked to is the front part is 'hinged' so can be pulled down on the move if you want to release your cheesy grin.

It's also 'wafer-thin' (has to be pronounced in an outrageous French accent) so no overheating issues and doesn't require a helmet adjustment.

I don't know man. In a pinch I can get my skullcap off without taking off my helmet, probably not treating her right but a few times when I've felt I was about to expire and time was tight, it was a life saver.

I don't know man. In a pinch I can get my skullcap off without taking off my helmet, probably not treating her right but a few times when I've felt I was about to expire and time was tight, it was a life saver.

The bally is made from that Dri-Fit material so it's like lycra for your head, therefore no over-heating issues.

On a side note, lycra from head to toe is also very liberating but that's probably a conversation best kept for Joe and Klodi's Party Bus thread.................

10955334-1.jpg

So not too hot but perhaps too haaaaaaawwwwwt?

Advertisement