Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gerard Brannigan Memorial Cycle

Options
  • 13-10-2013 2:09pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭

Since none of the Orwellians are bothered to do it I will....
    Dragged form the the folder ' Lion of Fingals spam' in my email '

Hi Folks,

Please note in your diary "Gerard Brannigan Memorial Cycle"

Date Sunday 3rd November'2013

Sign-On Opens - Time 09.00am - Start 10.30am

Sign-on "Grasshopper" Pub

Clonee Co. Meath

Two routes will be available – 70km & 30km Both routes will be marked and supervised at all junctions

NB:- Tea, coffee and sandwiches, with a gala raffle afterwards

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,059 ✭✭✭buffalo

We were just waiting until the club got the proper notice up: http://www.orwellwheelers.org/news-and-events/544-gerry-brannigan-memorial-cycle-2013.html

The details are as above, but for those of you who don't know, Gerry Brannigan was a very popular member of Orwell Wheelers and the IVCA who died suddenly in October 2006 aged just 52 years.

A group of friends came together and formed a committee that ultimately decided to organise a charity cycle to support Gerry’s family. The first Gerry Brannigan Memorial Cycle took place in November 2006 and we were overwhelmed with entries with over 320 riders taking part. In addition to entries, sponsorship cards were also distributed and returned and through the generosity of cyclists, their friends and families, a large sum was donated to Gerry’s family.

Each year, we all hear of deaths or serious injuries in our cycling community, be it from an accident or illness and we all wonder if we could be of any help or assistance to cyclists and their families. With this in mind, we established The Gerry Brannigan Benevolent Fund in 2007 and this year will be the eighth running of the Gerry Brannigan Memorial Cycle.

More info in the link - thanks to bcmf for starting the thread.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,450 ✭✭✭Harrybelafonte

Did this in 2011 and somehow managed to get lost, but it was a good spin at a good pace until that point. Doubt I'll make it this year as it's the morning after the CI dinner.

• Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭Hani Kosti

So what are the distances again?
    Yep, count me in
    bcmf wrote: »
    Since none of the Orwellians are bothered to do it I will....
    Dragged form the the folder ' Lion of Fingals spam' in my email '

Hi Folks,

Please note in your diary "Gerard Brannigan Memorial Cycle"

Date Sunday 3rd November'2013

Sign-On Opens - Time 09.00am - Start 10.30am

Sign-on "Grasshopper" Pub

Clonee Co. Meath

Two routes will be available – 70km & 30km Both routes will be marked and supervised at all junctions

NB:- Tea, coffee and sandwiches, with a gala raffle afterwards

Hani Kosti wrote: »
    So what are the distances again?
    Yep, count me in

Two routes will be available – 35 miles (60km) & 20 miles (35km).

• Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭Hani Kosti

This was reference to the fact the official post and first post. as they difder
    buffalo wrote: »
    Two routes will be available – 35 miles (60km) & 20 miles (35km).[/quote

• Advertisement

Hani Kosti wrote: »
    This was reference to the fact the official post and first post. as they difder

I don't know where the Lions of Fingal got their info... maybe they're not good with the new money? :P

• Registered Users Posts: 963 ✭✭✭detones

Can some orwellians confirm Start time 10.30 mentioned on brochure and 10.00 on web page. Also is route the same as last year? Thanks.

Official start time is 10:00.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,596 ✭✭✭AIR-AUSSIE

Anyone cycling out from Dundrum / South Dublin area?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭Vélo

Does anyone have the route for this?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,391 ✭✭✭fletch

Might head to this myself as its fairly local and its always a good spin.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭Vélo

What was the distance in the end? My Garmin started acting up and wasn't working for some of it.

Vélo wrote: »
    What was the distance in the end? My Garmin started acting up and wasn't working for some of it.

I clocked up 100km, but that includes to/from my house, which is probably 35-40km of that.

Great turnout incidentally, and a smashing morning for it.

Advertisement