Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

best places for pike, perch, roach fishing dublin wicklow area

Options
  • 12-10-2013 10:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,957 ✭✭✭

hi all,

im getting big into fishing and still only a newbie so looking for advice and help on where be best to go fishing for pike, roach, perch ect in around wicklow dublin areas where i will be able to get lucky with some nice fish:).

all and any help or advise would be really great

also if you can tell me places i wont need permits and if so where to get them.

thanks alot :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭Pj!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,957 ✭✭✭Seller159

Pj! wrote: »

Had a look on thT already but was wondring i anyone new any hotsopts where i can reach easy enough by foot or car you know.

Im told blessingtom lake is ment to be good for pike is that true do you know?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 586 ✭✭✭Mickey Dazzler

Blesso is probably one of the best pike lakes in Europe.

You are practically guaranteed to pull out at least a few 30 pounders every session.

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭bencarvosso

some pike in the slaney ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭dodderangler

Blesso is probably one of the best pike lakes in Europe.

You are practically guaranteed to pull out at least a few 30 pounders every session.

Once in a blue moon you'll get a nice double. Never mind a 30
    Blesso is only picking itself back up again. Been poached really bad the last few years. We all know by who.

• Advertisement

poaching is bad, but lowered waters levels at spawning isnt helping along with the reduction in stocked trout all adding the ingredients to make it a ball breaker

So blesso is probley the best spot to go then yes?

I want some where for camping fishing and that ill defo pull fish would blesso be the spot for that?

Any tips on best methods to pull nice size fish?

Seller159 wrote: »
    So blesso is probley the best spot to go then yes?

I want some where for camping fishing and that ill defo pull fish would blesso be the spot for that?

Any tips on best methods to pull nice size fish?
    Blessington is closed for pike in October and trout season is over. So you'll have t wait till November for the pike mate.

your not garenteed to catch fish anywhere to be honest, but put the effort in and you always have a chance.
    not sure your allowed to camp on blesso.

I will personally guarantee you that you will catch at least five 30 pounders in a day on Blesso. Easy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 681 ✭✭✭gumbo1

I will personally guarantee you that you will catch at least five 30 pounders in a day on Blesso. Easy.

Really?

With what?? Nets??
    If that's the case you should be a guide then.
    Sorry but I have fished blessington and I reckon I've fished the whole lot of it and I've yet to touch a 20 in it
    Biggest there is 14 and that was years ago. I've caught plenty of pike up there but Jo big ones.
    My mate caught one up there 15 years ago on a mepps one an it was 34z that's the biggest I know up there but I did hear that there was a 40+ caught this year.

Yeah ino its closed now for october but was thinking to go in nov wen im of work:).

Do i need a pass to fish there or who does it work?

Also could i just camp anyway ?

What other fish would be in blesso?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭SeaFields

Mod

To be fishy about it, don't take the bait lads.

SeaFields wrote: »
    Mod

To be fishy about it, don't take the bait lads.

It's alri. He wouldn't e able to set the hook even if I took the bait

It's alri. He wouldn't e able to set the hook even if I took the bait

Hook, line and sinker...

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭connel42

Hi just a few points you raised
    Yes you do need a fishing permit
    They are €5 for adult day permit
    The trout season is over as stated before but the lake reopens for all course on 1st November.
    Camping is not allowed anywhere near the lake and the ESB have regular security patrols.

Fishing is improving over the past few years and this year was generally good

I did hear from a very good source that a 40 pounder was caught last year and returned to the Water

The levels are very low at the moment so any reed beds are gone.

Best of luck - Blessington Lake is known as a difficult water but there are good fish in it

connel42 wrote: »
    Hi just a few points you raised
    Yes you do need a fishing permit
    They are €5 for adult day permit
    The trout season is over as stated before but the lake reopens for all course on 1st November.
    Camping is not allowed anywhere near the lake and the ESB have regular security patrols.

Fishing is improving over the past few years and this year was generally good

I did hear from a very good source that a 40 pounder was caught last year and returned to the Water

The levels are very low at the moment so any reed beds are gone.

Best of luck - Blessington Lake is known as a difficult water but there are good fish in it

Hi, how long is the lake open for each day also can i buy a permit at the lake or where do i get one?

Im only going up there for pike fishing really but what other fish are there that i could end up catching?

perch, roach and trout.... poss a catfish

I heard carp are also practically jumping into nets these days.

• Advertisement

Ok thats great then just what im looking for bit of everything just hope i catch something now :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Ok thats great then just what im looking for bit of everything just hope i catch something now :)

Please report back.

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭connel42

Hi, how long is the lake open for each day also can i buy a permit at the lake or where do i get one?

Im only going up there for pike fishing really but what other fish are there that i could end up catching?

You can get permits in Blessington in the Maxol station or Charles Camping
    Fishing is allowed in daylight hours only

Mod snip. No advertising.

Ok thanks alot.

Whats best for the pike lures or baits?

Ok thanks alot.

Whats best for the pike lures or baits?

As said before it depends on the water. For example dirty water would be best for baits.
    Clear water can be bait or lures.
    I love using lures or spinning for pike. The takes do be real exciting.

ok thanks. think id rather lures and spinners anyway its more exciting when fishing than haven to wait around for god knows how long lol

good luck mate.

cheers man hopefully get a few pike :) or anything lol

did you give it a go

• Advertisement

did you give it a go

Hi man. No i havent went yet i think ill be leaving it till november might be better?

Advertisement