Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Starter bike for a teenager

Options
  • 12-10-2013 9:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 523 ✭✭✭

My 13yr old who is just on 5' tall wants to try his hand at cycling next year and want's a racing bike so I reckon that's his present for Christmas. So, I'm looking for pointers as to what size bike I should get for him. Any online size charts seem a bit vague to be honest. I'm sort of leaning towards this: http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/ie/en/vitus-bikes-premiere-kids-road-bike-650-2013/rp-prod90866 but as I said am unsure on the size side of things.

Any pointers?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 523 ✭✭✭Mugser

Forgive the gentle bump please..

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

Where are you based and what kind of budget are you talking?

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭Zen0

Thing about teenagers is that they have the inconvenient habit of growing. You want to get something that will fit but that he won't grow out of too soon. For what it's worth, I'm 5'2 and ride a 46cm bike with a sloping top tube. Could use a 48 I reckon but I prefer to size down. You might want to size up.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 winlikefin

Hi my own son is about the same height (a bit shorter) has been out on the road - I managed to borrow a 650 wheel triban 3 (Decathlon) from a friend.

He has been doing well on the bike but I was looking at moving to a 700c bike for him.

This caught my eye: http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/ridley-eos-7d7-road-bike/rp-prod104906

The top tube on the Triban is 51.5 & I have put a 7cm stem on it to get the right length.

The Ridley in CRC has a short TT & 700c wheels - handy if you ride 700c too (spare wheels/tubes etc).

If you get a frame with 700c wheels then as he grows you can get a longer stem/wider bars & longer seatpost if needed.

This one is more expensive than the 'kids' bike but I think should last longer!

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭velogirl

At his age and size go for something with 700c wheels not the vitus with 650c. Any xs or small adult bike will do - my son started out on a womans trek as the reach was shorter than other race bikes. (just don't tell them its a womans bike). You can make adjustments by putting on a shorter stem and perhaps narrower, shorter reach/drop handlebars.

Bear in mind he will grow like mad so the 700c wheel adult bike is a better choice.

• Advertisement
Advertisement