Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

1st road bike advice needed

Options
  • 12-10-2013 9:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4

Hi,

This is my first post and I'm looking for advice on buying my first road bike. I will be using the bike to work scheme so my budget will be about 1000 euro but I'm willing to spend a few hundred extra.

I will be mainly using the bike to cycle in the Dublin/Wicklow mountains (after work, up to 40 to 50k, I won't have time for more) and also for longer trips at the weekend on mostly flat roads because I don't actually live near any mountains. Currently my main ambition is to ride the Wicklow 200 and generally to get up the hills/mountains as fast as I can (which isn't very fast, I won't be threatening Mr Ryan Sherlock's times any time soon, the Bohernabreena to Stocking Lane climb on Strava takes me about 29mins where it takes him only 17).

I'm 37, 6'3" and weight about 85kg. At the moment I ride a Specialized Sirrus 2008 (Sora 8 speed) and I want something a lot racier (I'm quite limber so don't need to be sitting up straight). On my triple I do need the lowest gear (28-25) on some of the steeper sections.

I though about getting a triple but will probably go for a compact 35/34 not that the Tiagra also has 10 speeds so will go up to at least 28 or 30.

The main bikes I'm currently considering are:
    Specialized Allez Elite - EUR 1099 - I've sat on it and it just feels right, looove the look of it and I like the assurance of a big name brand and the frame quality that comes with it. 2014 model has 10sp Tiagra (12-28) which should get me up any mountain (I hope).

Scott Speedster 20 - EUR 1199 - Has Shimano 105 so one up from the Allez Elite but not sure if I'd notice the difference. Does come with 12-30 gearing which might be useful going uphill. Also like the look, though not quite as much as the Allez.

Planet X SL Carbon Pro - EUR 1299 - Didn't want to go for carbon (I tend to not be too careful with bikes and apparently carbon bikes are a lot more fragile) but when I saw this is full carbon and comes with Ultegra it seems almost too good to be true. I am wondering if it might be a bit wobbly though when putting the power down, especially given my weight. Also don't think there'd be any deal on and I also need to get pedals, shoes etc.

Please, any advice is welcome to choose between these bikes or even other bikes. I've looked at loads (Cannondale, Cube, Giant, Trek etc etc etc) and they don't make my pulse race and although that maybe shouldn't matter I would like a bike that I really like the look of and it will make me want to ride more.

With the bike to work scheme my company uses I can only use certain shops, it rules out Eurocycles and online (Canyon for example which I would have liked as well). I'll probably wait till next year to get the bike, any idea if there will be any deals on in the January sale?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭Buzwaldo

All good choices. Get the one that fits best and you like the look of most.
    That's my tuppence worth, and bumps you to first page for more qualified advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,140 ✭✭✭T-Maxx

Giant Defy 2 2014

(My next bike!)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,338 ✭✭✭Lusk_Doyle

Specialized. That was my first road bike and I still have it now as my training bike some five years later. It's a very good bike. I have a second specialized in Poland as a holiday bike it's so good as a "basic" level road race bike.

No view on the Scott.

The Planet X is an internet bike as is the Canyon. Support your local bike shop and the service and troubleshooting issues of internet bikes will be something that you need not worry about.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,338 ✭✭✭Lusk_Doyle

Also, you can ask the bike shop to swap the rear cassette for no difference in the price I'd expect. You could get your 30 instead of a 28 no problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 JasperK

Thanks for the advice so far. Already decided I won't go with carbon, the lifespan seems to be limited and I want this bike to last. Actually looking at the Scott Speedster 10 now, it's got Ultegra and is 1399 at wheelworx, could be worth the extra cash although at my level I might not notice the difference between Tiagra, 105 & Ultegra.

• Advertisement

Looks like a very well specced bike for that price but for some reason i just don't want to ride a Giant (might be because when i was young they were a snobbish bike). And apparently the giant's geometry doesn't suit me either, the Allez was a better fit. I've yet to try the Scott though

• Registered Users Posts: 1,277 ✭✭✭MB Lacey

I bought a Scott Speedster and love it, BUT if you know that a specialized frame/ geometary suits you - you might be better sticking with that?
    I think Wheelworx offer a deal where if you don't like the bike after 30 days you can give it back? Plus, they give you a free bike fit (if you buy the bike from them), so if you did go for the Scott you could have it fitted and if you still didn't like it, you might be able to give it back.
    Though how do-able that really is after cycling for 30 days I'm not sure.
    Ask them.
    People always say on here get the best components for your money and ultegra is quite a step up from tiagra.

• Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭Peter T

Merida are a manufacturer for specialized and build really good bikes. Iv a merida ride lite 90 and have had it next to trek 1.2 and Giant defy's and the frame finish is much better. When people ask how much I paid they always comment they were expecting it to be twice that. Certainly a bike to consider.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 344 ✭✭cormacjones

275865.jpg

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

The planet X is by far and away the best deal of that bunch, it's a stupidly good price and you'd be mad to not go for it if you can afford it.

• Advertisement

Everyone, thanks again for the feedback so far. Think the Planet X and Speedster 10 might be outside my budget. Anyone know a similar or better specced bike to the Speedster 10? IOW, Shimano 105 for 1199 or less?

Once again, have to use the shops from bike2work.ie, so no Corratec Dolomiti 105 for 840 from Eurocycles...

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,072 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

JasperK wrote: »
    Thanks for the advice so far. Already decided I won't go with carbon, the lifespan seems to be limited and I want this bike to last. Actually looking at the Scott Speedster 10 now, it's got Ultegra and is 1399 at wheelworx, could be worth the extra cash although at my level I might not notice the difference between Tiagra, 105 & Ultegra.

The lifespan of carbon is no more limited than Alu, don't know where you're getting that from.

The Planet X is a great bike for the money.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Registered Users Posts: 4,941 ✭✭✭Bigus

I started out at 110 kg on a PX carbon , no probs after 2 years, and carbon frames are not wobbly or fragile in my experience .

Advertisement