Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Alternative to GXP Bottom Bracket

Options
  • 08-10-2013 10:52pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 328 ✭✭

Lads, anybody got any suggestions, im getting sick of changing these things every 6-8 months, they are crap.Made the foolish mistake of trying to service it...............took it apart, checked the racers, fully cleaned, re-greased it, re-assembled and put it back on the bike and still no good. So any alternatives out there?

Also tried getting replacement bearings but to no avail...............they seem to be a funny size! or they do not stock them anywhere.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭victorcarrera

There is a two year manufacturers warranty on those BBs provided they are fitted with Sram or Truvative cranks. Assuming you have the correct cranks the BB shell might need facing.
    They are a specific fit because of this.
    SRAM's bottom brackets, while interchangeable between all SRAM and Truvativ cranksets, are brand specific -- meaning, they can only be installed with SRAM cranks. The key element that makes them different from a Shimano or FSA bottom bracket is that the left side bearing has a smaller diameter to mate with the stepped spindle of the SRAM crank. This design allows the inner race of the left side bearing to be captured between the crankarm and the spindle, effectively locating the crank. The right side bearing "floats" on the spindle handling only radial loads as you pedal. The SRAM design optimizes bearing load, minimizes drag, and gives you durability.
    http://www.competitivecyclist.com/sram-gxp-team-bottom-bracket

• Registered Users Posts: 22 Brads locks

If your changing that often you may have a bigger problem, what frame are you using, I guessing your not using a power hose on it,

• Registered Users Posts: 772 ✭✭✭GTDolanator

You can do as i did and get a hope BB they make a little spacer ring to make it work with GXP cranks,i went for the stainless steel Bearings. It's a little expensive (was 80) but ive had it know 2 years and its still solid

• Registered Users Posts: 772 ✭✭✭GTDolanator

There is a two year manufacturers warranty on those BBs provided they are fitted with Sram or Truvative cranks. Assuming you have the correct cranks the BB shell might need facing.
    They are a specific fit because of this.

http://www.competitivecyclist.com/sram-gxp-team-bottom-bracket

I found them to be rubbish quality tbh nothing else

• Registered Users Posts: 2,965 ✭✭✭Plastik

Maybe I've just been lucky, but I've had a GXP bottom bracket on my Planet X since mid/late 2011 and it has never been changed or given problems - about 14,000km. Sram Apex & Force cranks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,458 ✭✭✭lennymc

Plastik wrote: »
    Maybe I've just been lucky, but I've had a GXP bottom bracket on my Planet X since mid/late 2011 and it has never been changed or given problems - about 14,000km. Sram Apex & Force cranks.

ditto on a boardman with sram rival cranks and gpx. about the same mileage, all weathers, rarely washed, with no problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,965 ✭✭✭Plastik

Just to revisit a thread, and to eat my own words ... had to change out my GXP bottom bracket this evening. Pretty good innings though. I'm almost certain it was never done previously and I've just shy of 14,500km on the bike.

Advertisement