Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Long termers TTC

Options
1104105107109110115

Comments

  • Registered Users Posts: 34 squigglyd


    My AF straight after the IVF came at the usual time (25 day cycle, I've had a short cycle since I came off the pill in October 2016). In all the time we have been ttc and I have been tracking things, I have almost always ovulated around Day 10-11 (once or twice on Day12) but this month it was Day 14 which is unusual for me. Did anyone else notice a change in their usual cycle after IVF? FF is now predicting I'll have a 29 day cycle. I used to have a 28 day cycle before going on the pill, just wondering is my body going back to how it used to be pre-pill or just an effect of the IVF?


  • Registered Users Posts: 1,356 ✭✭✭Lucuma


    OldNotWIse wrote: »
    Is it true that women with a short luteal phase find it harder to conceive and if so, why is this?

    Not in my personal experience. We conceived naturally both times. Now I threw everything but the kitchen sink at it in terms of using OPKs, keeping my legs in the air for 10 mins afterwards, giving up drink, sugar, caffeine, both of us taking loads of vits, Hubby doing all the sperm-stuff like no hot baths or saunas, no tight underwear, no cycling for longer than 1/2 an hour etc. There's books about fertility you can buy and loads of info online


  • Registered Users Posts: 1,356 ✭✭✭Lucuma


    OldNotWIse wrote: »
    Thanks for this! I can't believe I didn't know about the luteal phase until recently. I always assumed ovulation was exactly 14 days before day 1 of period. So, this could have been why we were missing. We've been trying to judge ovulation on 14 days back from 22 or 23. I didn't realize I could have ovulated later and had a shorter luteal phase. Looking back on my app for this month, we hit days 7 and 9 so I thought we were sorted, But days 12 and 14 were when I logged ovulation type symptoms (and thankfully we wen then too!) :pac:
    Is it true that women with a short luteal phase find it harder to conceive and if so, why is this?

    I can't emphasise enough though, you need to identify when you are ovulating using one of the tried and tested methods like opks or temping etc. Don't rely on counting back days, don't assume that coz I have a short luteal phase that you do, and don't rely on vague symptoms. Actually properly measure it :)


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,468 ✭✭✭✭OldNotWIse


    Lucuma wrote: »
    I can't emphasise enough though, you need to identify when you are ovulating using one of the tried and tested methods like opks or temping etc. Don't rely on counting back days, don't assume that coz I have a short luteal phase that you do, and don't rely on vague symptoms. Actually properly measure it :)

    Thanks! Yes we plan to stock up on digital tests. We are just past 7 months trying (this is the 7th month and I feel PMT :() so we have 5 months left to try before we should be tested (if you take the usual pre-35 12 month thing on board). Isn't it amazing that we (well I did anyway) assume that getting pregnant is as simple as just unprotected sex. If only!


  • Registered Users Posts: 1,097 ✭✭✭xalot


    I have a short luteal phase (11 days) and had no trouble getting or staying pregnant. I think, and an open to correction, that if your luteal phase is shorter than 10 days that you could run into difficulty with the implantation stage of pregnancy as the lining hasn't had time to fully prepare itself for the next stage. Vitamin B6 is supposed to help with lengthening a short luteal phase. If you do try that make sure to take it with a full pregnancy multi vitamin and continue to take it right through the first trimester.

    Best of luck!


  • Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 709 ✭✭✭lashes34


    High dose Vit E is good to help the lining thicken up too.


  • Registered Users Posts: 652 ✭✭✭GaGa21


    Anyone here have a negative test on day 28 but a positive in following days after? Probably wishful thinking. I am 2 days late but it's probably due to the surgery I had last month putting my cycle out....on the other hand my surgery was to improve fertility. I've heard of false positives but not false negative results.


  • Registered Users Posts: 709 ✭✭✭lashes34


    GaGa21 wrote: »
    Anyone here have a negative test on day 28 but a positive in following days after? Probably wishful thinking. I am 2 days late but it's probably due to the surgery I had last month putting my cycle out....on the other hand my surgery was to improve fertility. I've heard of false positives but mot false negative results.

    Of course its possible. They test levels of a certain hormone that increases by the day if you are pregnant so it just might not be high enough yet. You're far more likely to get a false neg than a false positive.


  • Registered Users Posts: 652 ✭✭✭GaGa21


    lashes34 wrote:
    Of course its possible. They test levels of a certain hormone that increases by the day if you are pregnant so it just might not be high enough yet. You're far more likely to get a false neg than a false positive.


    Thanks. I'll wait for a couple more days as my cycle is very rarely over 30 days. I don't feel pregnant but I don't feel my usual pms self either. I think my surgery might have been a success on that front if nothing else :-)


  • Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭sunsetbeachfan


    Hi I'd like to join this thread, been trying for 11 months now.

    I'm on 1500mg metformin a day for six weeks now , I've pcos and absent period and ovulation hoping ovulation kicks in so can have a proper chance at conception.
    Loads of posts to catch up on,
    Has anyone seen the Does this baby make me look fat? YouTube series? Its actually hilarious, if you see funny Ttc videos let me know love to have a sense of humour while trying to 'be patient and just relax'.
    I avoid conversations about babies now so my situation doesnt get asked about, we're married and have a home so for people its the obvious next step.
    Jez didn't think of having a baby good idea Pauline! (*eyeroll)
    Anyone got any good answers to the question
    'so when do you think you'll have children?'


  • Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 652 ✭✭✭GaGa21


    GaGa21 wrote:
    Anyone here have a negative test on day 28 but a positive in following days after? Probably wishful thinking. I am 2 days late but it's probably due to the surgery I had last month putting my cycle out....on the other hand my surgery was to improve fertility. I've heard of false positives but not false negative results.


    Nope, it was a definite negative. Period arrived today. Ah well...


  • Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭babydream


    GaGa21 wrote: »
    Nope, it was a definite negative. Period arrived today. Ah well...

    Ah GaGa I feel your pain!! We can be cycle buddies Day 1 for me today too


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,468 ✭✭✭✭OldNotWIse


    GaGa21 wrote: »
    Nope, it was a definite negative. Period arrived today. Ah well...
    babydream wrote: »
    Ah GaGa I feel your pain!! We can be cycle buddies Day 1 for me today too

    The app is telling me I am due today and I feel cramps coming on so presumably will be today too. :(


  • Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭babydream


    OldNotWIse wrote: »
    The app is telling me I am due today and I feel cramps coming on so presumably will be today too. :(

    Hopefully this will be our month :D


  • Registered Users Posts: 34 squigglyd


    squigglyd wrote: »
    My AF straight after the IVF came at the usual time (25 day cycle, I've had a short cycle since I came off the pill in October 2016). In all the time we have been ttc and I have been tracking things, I have almost always ovulated around Day 10-11 (once or twice on Day12) but this month it was Day 14 which is unusual for me. Did anyone else notice a change in their usual cycle after IVF? FF is now predicting I'll have a 29 day cycle. I used to have a 28 day cycle before going on the pill, just wondering is my body going back to how it used to be pre-pill or just an effect of the IVF?

    An update on this, AF is definitely on the way on Day 29 (today) as predicted by Fertility Friend but last week was the worst week of PMS that I have had in an extremely long time. Mood swings, on the verge of tears a lot, this whole thing has me all over the place :( Feeling much better today but last week was a nightmare.


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,468 ✭✭✭✭OldNotWIse


    babydream wrote: »
    Hopefully this will be our month :D

    I've just broken up with my OH. Double heartache this month. Guess it was for the best...


  • Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭sunsetbeachfan


    OldNotWIse wrote: »
    babydream wrote: »
    Hopefully this will be our month :D

    I've just broken up with my OH. Double heartache this month. Guess it was for the best...
    Oh sorry to hear that, that's horrible.


  • Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭babydream


    OldNotWIse wrote: »
    I've just broken up with my OH. Double heartache this month. Guess it was for the best...

    Very sorry to hear that, big hugs to you xxxxxxxxxx


  • Registered Users Posts: 2,011 ✭✭✭bilbot79


    OldNotWIse wrote: »
    I've just broken up with my OH. Double heartache this month. Guess it was for the best...

    It's all you need really isn't it. Hope you meet someone who deserves you


  • Registered Users Posts: 35 CCCHIA


    OldNotWIse wrote: »
    I've just broken up with my OH. Double heartache this month. Guess it was for the best...

    I'm so sorry to hear OldNotWise, stay strong xx


  • Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,468 ✭✭✭✭OldNotWIse


    What I thought was period was just one day pink spotting. Have had mild cramps for several days now, but that's it. I'm day 30 now and starting to wonder what the hell is going on, as I am usually on a much shorter cycle. :(


  • Registered Users Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭catrionanic


    OldNotWIse wrote: »
    What I thought was period was just one day pink spotting. Have had mild cramps for several days now, but that's it. I'm day 30 now and starting to wonder what the hell is going on, as I am usually on a much shorter cycle. :(

    Have you taken a test?


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,468 ✭✭✭✭OldNotWIse


    Have you taken a test?

    Took one on Sunday (which was day 27 and based on cycle predictions, 3 days "late"). It was negative.


  • Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,920 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots


    It could be stress messing with your cycle, especially considering the breakup :( I'd grab a couple of first response tests and take one just to be sure.


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,468 ✭✭✭✭OldNotWIse


    Toots wrote: »
    It could be stress messing with your cycle, especially considering the breakup :( I'd grab a couple of first response tests and take one just to be sure.

    Test purchased and is residing in my bag until my head decides to come out of the sand!


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,468 ✭✭✭✭OldNotWIse


    Two tests - both positive :eek: Totally freaking out as I have had period like pain for a week now - is that even normal? I feel so bad having had wine etc of late, and more than I should have had because of stressful situation with OH :(


  • Registered Users Posts: 13,503 ✭✭✭✭fits


    Oh my. As soon as you said about the pink spotting I knew that was it. Don’t worry about the booze. It’s only just implanted when you had the spotting.

    Big hug.


  • Registered Users Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭catrionanic


    OldNotWIse wrote: »
    Two tests - both positive :eek: Totally freaking out as I have had period like pain for a week now - is that even normal? I feel so bad having had wine etc of late, and more than I should have had because of stressful situation with OH :(

    Wow. What a whirlwind you are going through right now. How are you feeling about being pregnant? Were you and OH trying for long?


  • Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,920 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots


    fits wrote: »
    Oh my. As soon as you said about the pink spotting I knew that was it. Don’t worry about the booze. It’s only just implanted when you had the spotting.

    Big hug.

    Exact same happened me with my daughter - pink spotting, thought my period started, positive test a few days later.

    Don't worry about the drink. The period pain is normal, its your uterus changing to accommodate the new occupant :) You'll be ok. Things probably feel overwhelming right now but you will get through it, take things one day at a time.


  • Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭Cash_Q


    OldNotWIse wrote:
    Two tests - both positive


    Congratulations!

    Don't worry about the wine, I had been on an absolute bender a few days before finding out I was pregnant, I would have been about 3weeks pregnant/1 week since conception, gp said it's common, of course you know not to drink alcohol now and that's the main thing.

    As for the relationship breakdown, take your time, if you need to, give yourself a few days to get your head around this news and approach things with your ex slowly. Maybe the breakup was for the best anyway, or maybe the pressure of ttc led to it, only you two know, but try not to led this news force you both into making any major decisions, you have plenty of time.

    Now, look up boards for the thread of the month you're due and look forward to sharing the experience and getting advice from others at the same stage as you :)


Advertisement