Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Handlebar Help

Options
  • 07-10-2013 11:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭

I dont like the level of drop on my bars, its too low and I'm not comfortable in the drops so I'm thinking of changing to something with a shorter drop but with there being so many different type bars available how the hell do i figure out which one is best for me? I'll be gettingt OS/44cm bars but thats about as much as i know, i see compact bars, shallow drops, etc etc Anyone care to advise? BTW the bars on the bike are the factory fitted Felt SL Bars (not sure what drop or whatever, they are)

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,728 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

I changed from ergo bars to FSA Omega compact bars last year and love them. As a result I tend to spend a fair amount of time in the drops on long journeys, and always on steep or fast descents.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,538 ✭✭✭nak

smacl wrote: »
    I changed from ergo bars to FSA Omega compact bars last year and love them. As a result I tend to spend a fair amount of time in the drops on long journeys, and always on steep or fast descents.

Have them too, they are great, my husband then copied me. Cheap enough too.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

3T Ergonova have a short drop. Very comfortable bar.

• Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭serendip

Might your problem be fixed by just changing or adjusting the stem? Likely to be easier and cheaper. Small changes can make a noticable difference to the feel.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,308 ✭✭✭quozl

I've got Deda Elementi compact bars.
    The drop is 130mm and the reach is 75mm.

I like them and use the drops a lot - on the flat or even on uphill drags.

Only 21.50 delivered so cheap enough to give a try.
    http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/ie/en/deda-elementi-rhm01-road-handlebar-black/rp-prod84200

Note that their reach is likely shorter than what you're used to so your hoods would be moving back towards you - possibly necessitating a longer stem.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,779 ✭✭✭Charlie69

CJC999 wrote: »
    I dont like the level of drop on my bars, its too low and I'm not comfortable in the drops so I'm thinking of changing to something with a shorter drop but with there being so many different type bars available how the hell do i figure out which one is best for me? I'll be gettingt OS/44cm bars but thats about as much as i know, i see compact bars, shallow drops, etc etc Anyone care to advise? BTW the bars on the bike are the factory fitted Felt SL Bars (not sure what drop or whatever, they are)
    Are you sure you're using 44cm bars at the moment? the measurement is from centre to centre,i nearly made this mistake and it makes a big difference

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

Hmmm...Im nearly positive thats what I measured them as but will check again to be sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

I have a pair of Planet X bars, 44 cms centre to centre. Black, aluminium.
    They have a very short reach and narrow drop.
    I'm on holidays at the moment, but, when I get home, this day week, you can borrow them, to see if they suit.
    I live in Drogheda , if that's any good to you.

P.S. They are O/S.
    I got them originally, because of mobility problem.
    I am unable at the moment to show a link on PX site, but I think, they are described as Compact ergo.

Eamonnator wrote: »
    I have a pair of Planet X bars, 44 cms centre to centre. Black, aluminium.
    They have a very short reach and narrow drop.
    I'm on holidays at the moment, but, when I get home, this day week, you can borrow them, to see if they suit.
    I live in Drogheda , if that's any good to you.

P.S. They are O/S.
    I got them originally, because of mobility problem.
    I am unable at the moment to show a link on PX site, but I think, they are described as Compact ergo.

Thanks for the offer but I'm in donegal so not exactly local to you.

Anyway bought a set of 3T Ergonova bars (alum) Was very close to buying the carbon version but read too many negative stories about carbon bars so stuck with the alloy version.

I haven't received them yet but should have them by Friday and will fit them at the weekend. Bought new tape and cinelli gel pads too. Is changing bars a simple case of removing the old tape, releasing the brake cables at the brake calipers and then loosening the band holding the gear/shift levers and swapping them over to the new bars? I'm assuming I dont need to touch the gear cables?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,830 ✭✭✭doozerie

@CJC999, You can probably get away without releasing the brake (and gear) cables, you can usually slide the brake+gear levers off the bar by manoeuvering the handlebar itself once you've removed it from the stem (and removed the handlebar tape). It's not necessary, but it saves having to (re-)adjust the brakes and gears afterwards.

• Advertisement

Ok thanks. If it doesnt move do I need to loosen the gear cables as the brake cables?

Advertisement