Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fly Fishing

Options
  • 03-10-2013 6:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭

Started back fishing this year after a long absence brought my 2 sons and they love it, now my 8 year old wants to learn how to fly fish. I don't know ANYTHING about fly fishing but am also keen to learn. Santa is bringing him a fly rod for Christmas as its all he wants, but I think Santa needs advice on what type of fly rod and tackle to get an 8 year old beginner?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 730 ✭✭✭thefisherbuy

What are You based?
    Well Anyways i say a 7'6 foot 4 weight fly Rod, anyways i'd say go to a fishery something like this in Dublin (link http://www.courtlough.ie/trout-fishing/) that would be ideal for a junior I'm sure one of they staff will teach you're son. Anyways look around on Google Tackle shops (wherever you live) They will recommend a good kit for you're son

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭Chopperdog 2

Pm sent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

You're better in a case like this to have Santa go to a local tackle shop. The guys will know what's suited and also may have details of the local juvenile section of a club.

• Registered Users Posts: 882 ✭✭✭dazza161989

A 9 ft 5/6 weight rod, 5/6 reel with spare spool, floating line, intermediate line, leader, tippet, few flies...... Will suffice to cover anything from a salmon par to a big fisherie rainbow.

Most important as another poster said is to get him casting lessons its well worth the money.

Any more questions just ask.

Advertisement