Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How many luxes.

Options
  • 02-10-2013 9:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭

just bought a bike recently on the bike to work scheme. It came with a front light with 4 lux. I'm wondering how suitable is this light for cycling on country roads at night. If its not enough luxes how many luxes do I need? Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭derealbadger

Plain answer not suitable at all minimum 400 lumin

• Registered Users Posts: 31,025 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Lux is a measure of illumination, but meaningless without a distance.

Most common distances are 1m and 10m.

100 lux @ 1m is equivalent to 1 lux @ 10m.

50 lux @ 10m is enough to illuminate the road, give or take a bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 523 ✭✭✭Mugser

My front light has 1000 lumen. Front lights & country roads: not just for being seen but also to see where you're going.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,418 ✭✭✭NeedMoreGears

My front light is 150 lumen - it's good but I'd prefer maybe 200-250 for dark back roads.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,728 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

Loads of extended discussion and recommendations on this thread; http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055705708

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,207 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

I have 400l on my front but cycle on well let roads.

If I wasnt on well lit roads I think I'd be looking for something brighter. WBA has a super power full light. I think he has blinded a few people on his boards jersey tour. Maybe ask him what he has

• Registered Users Posts: 1,036 ✭✭✭Surveyor11

250 lumen good enough for me on country roads. Led lenser b7.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,964 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

godtabh wrote: »
    WBA has a super power full light. I think he has blinded a few people on his boards jersey tour. Maybe ask him what he has
    I got rid of that one at the end of last year - it was way too bright at something like 1450 lumens but great on unlit rural roads.

I use a Lezyne Super Drive now (450 Lumens) although I'm told it's still too bright in flashing mode.

I also have a small Lezyne Micro (150 Lumens) for autumn, spring evening spins and as a back-up emergency light..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,614 ✭✭✭BadCharlie

This is what im looking at getting
    http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/ie/en/lezyne-super-drive-xl-500l-front-light-2013/rp-prod86390

Its the Lezyne Super Drive XL 500L Front Light 2013, looks good and the price is the best i can find. Some reviews not good about its battries.

Enduro (medium): 350 lumens/2.5hrs
    • Blast (high): 500 lumens/1.5hrs
    • Economy (low): 175lumens/5hrs
    • Flash: 350 lumens / 5hrs

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,207 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

I have the Lezyne Power Drive XL. It puts out 475 lumens (thought it was 400 luxs) and generally use it in flashing mode. I havent been flashed so I assume its not blinding anyone

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭Rambling Man

• Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭slideshow bob

grouchyman wrote: »
    how many luxes do I need?

The short answer is invariably "more".

The extremes are if you know the road and have a bike that can cope with the expected surface imperfections you pretty much just need a light to be seen by. If you want to hurl along at speed and identify the species of slugs hiding under the foliage 20m away you better go for one of them 9800 lumen yokes AstraMonti bought recently.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,030 ✭✭✭CheGuedara

BadCharlie wrote: »
    http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/ie/en/lezyne-super-drive-xl-500l-front-light-2013/rp-prod86390

Its the Lezyne Super Drive XL 500L Front Light 2013, looks good and the price is the best i can find. Some reviews not good about its battries

Got it myself, great torch and it comes with a second battery just in case you need to swap in a new one mid-ride. To really help pick up some higher mAh batterys to extend burn time. I have these 3100 mAh and these 3400mAh ones - little between them TBH but a lot better than the standard ones (2400mAh) that come with the light.

• Registered Users Posts: 520 ✭✭✭piston

I would consider 4 lux far too low.

Decent halogen dyanamo lamps back in the day put out 15 - 20 lux. I still ride unlit country roads at decent speed on my winter fixed wheel bike with a B&M lumotec halogen lamp rated at 17 lux. It's fine but I wouldn't consider anything lower. Modern LED dynamo lamps are amazing things, vastly superior but 17 is useable.

What's possibly more important than the light output itself is where the light is directed. Lights that meet the German standard have beams shaped like car headlamp beams and put light on the road where you need it and it doesn't dazzle other traffic.

Not all the cheap but very powerful battery lights available of the net will do that. I wouldn't buy any lamp that doesn't meet the German regs.

They also have the advantage of being fully road legal and meeting EU guidelines should you ever end up in the unfortunate situation of trying to claim compo following an accident.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,632 ✭✭✭the.red.baron

BadCharlie wrote: »

Its the Lezyne Super Drive XL 500L Front Light 2013, looks good and the price is the best i can find. Some reviews not good about its battries.

Enduro (medium): 350 lumens/2.5hrs
    • Blast (high): 500 lumens/1.5hrs
    • Economy (low): 175lumens/5hrs
    • Flash: 350 lumens / 5hrs

350 flashing is overkill in my books. It should have another step down for the flash. godtabhs one is a more usable light, with 175 flashing, mine is 200 and it's blinding.

• Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭grouchyman

Many thanks for all the info boardsies. Plenty of food for thought there. Now just to make up my mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 284 ✭✭Puggy

Advertisement