Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Flyfishing in October

Options
  • 02-10-2013 11:50am
    Registered Users Posts: 20

Hi, I am looking to go flyfishing in the next week on Lough Ennell or Sheelin, can anybody advise me on a possible 3 fly cast for this time of year ?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,454 ✭✭✭Blondie919

The fly fishing season is over since Monday (end of September). Opens again in February, or March 17th in other parts of the country. AFAIK you can only fly fish stocked lakes now.

• Registered Users Posts: 771 ✭✭✭dardevle

Blondie919 wrote: »
    The fly fishing season is over since Monday (end of September). Opens again in February, or March 17th in other parts of the country. AFAIK you can only fly fish stocked lakes now.

Sheelin does not close until 12th oct.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 fishingmad

Yes, Ennell and Sheelin stay open until 12th, hoping to get out once more before end of season, but with no fly life I am struggling to decide which flies to put up.

http://www.fishinginireland.info/trout/shannon/ennell.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭dodderangler

Stick with the lures. Likes of montanas, gold head fritz, minkys boobies etc may be your best bet as bait fish are still about.

Thanks, I was thinking minkies myself, was also thinking claret dabbler and maybe daddy muddler, going to be a case of throw the fly box at them and hope for the best.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭dodderangler

fishingmad wrote: »
    Thanks, I was thinking minkies myself, was also thinking claret dabbler and maybe daddy muddler, going to be a case of throw the fly box at them and hope for the best.

Ya can try knock them out with the fly box.
    Sometimes the odd small pike fly can work aswell. I gave it a shot on derevara and lost a lovely trout. And that was in octover. Didn't know trout were in the area I was in. Usually just all pike.

defo worth trying, i must invest in a few small pike flies.

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭huntsman77

Fairly sure lough owel still open aswell

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭Flysfisher

My three fly cast this time of year,
    Top dropper green peter hopper
    Middle dropper claret hopper,
    Point fly gold humungus or claret dabbler.
    Make sure the hoppers have fluorescent red tags.

Thanks Flysfisher, thats a very good cast of flies, I am heading to Lough Sheelin on Wednesday, I was talking to someone that was on Ennell recently and a Bibio hopper on the point landed him a 2lb fish after a lot of switching of flies, I am also thinking of a Ted's Special and wont be leaving a claret off the cast, will post Wednesday evening how I get on.

• Advertisement

Disaster, late start (12:30 pm) so opted for Lough Owel, went with an experienced boatman, ended up been forced off the lough after an hour as the wind had picked up significantly as to be concerned, will have to wait until next year :(

Advertisement