Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fishing in Ireland....help!

Options
  • 01-10-2013 4:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 750 ✭✭✭

Hi there,

I was hoping I could get some help off the anglers in boards.ie! Basically, my boyfriend is a keen fisherman but because I dont do it or many of his friends, he doesnt get a chance to do it that often. He does do a bit of fishing in the dodder, Dun Laoghaire Pier and Howth. We are just back from Sicily where he did a spot of fishing and he now has fishing fever and wants to go catch something big....really big!!

I was thinking of organising for him and his brother to go sea fishing. Can anyone suggest places in Ireland to go? I have found a few places online in Sligo and Donegal which seem quite good but I dont know with the time of year etc. when is the best time to go? Could anyone point me in the right direction?

Basically, he isnt fussy in what he catches although would love to catch something a little different than your usual mackerel etc. I dont particulary want to charter a boat ourselves as it is VERY expensieve (about 500 euro a day) but I have seen day trips for 60 per person which I would be happy to get him two days on that.

He is very eager to go to River Ebro in Spain so if anyone has fished there too, I would love to hear from you.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated (by myself and the boyfriend!).

Thanks,
    A

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,341 ✭✭✭.red.

Google "cork harbour angling hub". Some very good boats there to choose from. Give some of them a ring and have a chat. Cork harbour has some great fishing and it will usually have shelter in all but the very worst of weather.

• Registered Users Posts: 750 ✭✭✭Ashbx

Thanks Red, I will give them a bell.

• Registered Users Posts: 333 ✭✭dbrock

try kit dunne in wicklow,

• Registered Users Posts: 681 ✭✭✭gumbo1

dbrock wrote: »
    try kit dunne in wicklow,

Kit's had plenty of specimens on the lisin this year!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,270 ✭✭✭tin79

If you do want to try the Ebro I recommend

www.carpdreamfishing.com

I went with them years ago when they were just starting out and had some good carp to over 20lbs and Catfish to almost 160lbs (heavier than I was at the time). They get much bigger now,

The guide would supply everything you need.

• Advertisement

tin79 wrote: »
    If you do want to try the Ebro I recommend

www.carpdreamfishing.com

I went with them years ago when they were just starting out and had some good carp to over 20lbs and Catfish to almost 160lbs (heavier than I was at the time). They get much bigger now,

The guide would supply everything you need.

Tin79 , Thanks a million for this. I would be the best girlfriend in the world if I booked this for him. I will defo look into it.

Dbrock, thanks, we may try there to get him warmed up for Ebro! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭Daithi101

Try Tom Collins in Union Hall. He does a lot of shark fishing and would try and fit you in with a group that is going out so you wouldn't have to book the entire both. It's also a great area for a cycle if you fancied bring the bike woth you. :)

Daithi101 wrote: »
    Try Tom Collins in Union Hall. He does a lot of shark fishing and would try and fit you in with a group that is going out so you wouldn't have to book the entire both. It's also a great area for a cycle if you fancied bring the bike woth you. :)

Thanks a million. This might be a good choice because he would love to go shark fishing!

Quick question to everyone though, if you were to charter a boat. Would the skipper expect you to fill it? I enquired about chartering a boat and was told it would fit up to 9 people plus 2 crew. Not many of our friends fish and I would only be able to get 5 at max to go. Would the skipper go with this, or would he suggest doing it with a group of others?

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭Daithi101

Normally a skipper would charge for the hire of the boat for the day and then you would split the cost between the amount of people on the boat.

With regards to Tom afaik, he won't take more than six out as it just gets too messy.

Daithi101 wrote: »
    Normally a skipper would charge for the hire of the boat for the day and then you would split the cost between the amount of people on the boat.

With regards to Tom afaik, he won't take more than six out as it just gets too messy.

Oh grand. I didnt know if the skipper would expect you to fill the boat to max or not! In my opinion, the smaller the group the better. Then again.....im a complete amateur! :)

Thanks for your help Daithi

• Advertisement
Advertisement