Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone in Dublin got a Ribble Reynolds 525?

Options
  • 30-09-2013 3:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭

Has anyone in Dublin got a Ribble Reynolds 525? I'm seriously thinking of building one up as a winter trainer, but it would be great to hear opinions (and ideally see one in the flesh) before I pull the trigger.

Also would like to hear from anyone who has the Alu Ribble winter bike, the Pinnacle Dolomite from Evans or any other recommendations. I've convinced myself that I have to have proper mudguard mounts on this one as I'll only use it when its lashing (so most days then...)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭Sarz91

RonanCFD wrote: »
    *Snip*

I was thinking along the same lines as yourself around late July. I was trying to choose between the 525 and the ribble alu winter bike. I was in the process of retiring my old winter bike and needed something for the coming months. I eventually bought this. Not the best spec but that's what I was kinda going for for the winter months. Something I don't really mind abusing. It's going well so far. I mean I can't really expect a whole lot for under €600 but I like it.

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭RonanCFD

I saw that one myself, its a nice looking bike and a good price. I'd be worried that going to 8 speed would drive me nuts, have you found that OK? What have you done for mudguards on it (I'm presuming it doesn't have mounts)

I was also looking at this Battaglin on Wiggle which would give me a carbon fork and Sora for €600. But then I think about those days last winter ploughing through the standing water on the roads...

RonanCFD wrote: »
    I saw that one myself, its a nice looking bike and a good price. I'd be worried that going to 8 speed would drive me nuts, have you found that OK? What have you done for mudguards on it (I'm presuming it doesn't have mounts)

I was also looking at this Battaglin on Wiggle which would give me a carbon fork and Sora for €600. But then I think about those days last winter ploughing through the standing water on the roads...

8 speed is a bit annoying as well as the compact chainring but I've gotten used to them. Hopping onto the bike I use for racing is such a treat now. I haven't looked at mudguards yet as the first few weeks I had it it was sunny and I like to put things off until the last second as I'm quite lazy. If I can't come up with some way of mounting the mudguards to it I should probably just burn my mechanical engineering degree.

To be honest I'd probably have gone with the bike you linked from wiggle had it been that price when I was buying. Again, it's up to yourself though.

• Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭n-dawg

I got myself the Ribble steel frame with 105 about 2 months ago... About £950. I'm delighted with it and can't wait for winter to put it through its paces. Its a really smooth ride and seems to get ride of so much road buzz compared to my carbon bike or alu bike. Plus full 105 for the price is great value. The paint job is really nice too. I'm not a fan of all the grey and black bikes these days. Unfortunately I'm in Glasgow so can't show it off.

n-dawg wrote: »
    *snip*

That's good to hear. Are you finding it hard going uphill? I did a sportive in the UK this summer on a borrowed Reynolds bike and struggled a bit on the hills (to be fair, it was 14kg)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭n-dawg

Its not too heavy really. Maybe 10 kg all in. I don't notice a huge difference between it and my race bike. Its a little less snappy on climbs or accelerating out of corners but I guess that's the price you pay for comfort. Its my first ever steel frame so I'm really not an expert on whether its a great steel frame but so far its been exactly what I wanted in my winter bike.

Thanks, its looking like a really good option.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

Sarz91 wrote: »
    8 speed is a bit annoying as well as the compact chainring but I've gotten used to them. Hopping onto the bike I use for racing is such a treat now. I haven't looked at mudguards yet as the first few weeks I had it it was sunny and I like to put things off until the last second as I'm quite lazy. If I can't come up with some way of mounting the mudguards to it I should probably just burn my mechanical engineering degree.

To be honest I'd probably have gone with the bike you linked from wiggle had it been that price when I was buying. Again, it's up to yourself though.

There is a Moser bikes Sora with fulcrum wheels (7 hubs 5 rims afaik) for the same price as the other bike on wiggle, would be a better deal.

I didn't see that before - not sure if its senility kicking in or if they've just dropped the price. Good spot, thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭Diarmuid

I got one and built it up back in Easter. Been commuting on it since then. Nice bike. Quite a sporty position on it so keep that in mind when you are picking the stem etc...
    The colour scheme on it looks great. I have mudguards + rack on it and it's not unduly heavy. I haven't done much more than commuting on it. It would be a nice bike to take touring.
    Here's a picture of it.

• Advertisement

Looks lovely, and you've built it up with SRAM as well which would be my preference if I had the budget. Very nice!

The geometry is pretty aggressive, isn't it? Headtube for the frame in my size (a 55 by the looks of it) is only 14.5.

I've also found a Genesis Equilibrium 00 for just over €750 now as well...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭Diarmuid

It's now built up with bits and pieces. When I took the picture I had half working SRAM shifters and some old set of wheels lying around.
    I've since replaced the SRAM shifters with 105, Rival chaining, force front dérailleur, 105 rear dérailleur. I also picked up a nice set of wheels for it. Open Pro rims on DA hubs. All s/h

Decided to go with this in the end:

Genesis_zps6776f083.jpg

Struggled to find one in my size but managed it in the end. Not too keen on the colour it is changing to for 2014 so I was pretty happy to find a 2013 one.

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭stabeek

I'm also on the trail of a ribble .. BTW excellent looking specimen RonanCFD, the copper look ... very original ... congrats on the buy!
    However you guys that build your own ... that fills me with fear.

In terms of getting a fully equipped ribble, I assume it takes some time ... 2 weeks, 1 month, 2 months?

stabeek wrote: »
    I'm also on the trail of a ribble .. BTW excellent looking specimen RonanCFD, the copper look ... very original ... congrats on the buy!

In terms of getting a fully equipped ribble, I assume it takes some time ... 2 weeks, 1 month, 2 months?

When I ordered mine I think it was a month but that was due to them not having any frames in stock.

thanks, just finished the build yesterday, turned out pretty well I think:

Genesis_Small_zpsd8026494.jpg

Not sure on delivery time for a full bike, but considering it took Ribble 10 days to send me a few in-stock components I wouldn't expect it too quickly!

Is that a shimano derailluer with sram shifters?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,058 ✭✭✭AltAccount

That's a lovely looking bike, wear well!

Seaneh wrote: »
    Is that a shimano derailluer with sram shifters?

No, Sram Rival shifters & deraillieurs, Shimano crankset

Think the black groupset and finishing kit looks class with the copper paint job, gorgeous machine.
    Black mudguards and rack and she's perfect :pac:

• Advertisement

Well, the mudguards are black, no rack though!

• Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭rab!dmonkey

I ordered mine 2013/09/06, it was built up despatched 2013/09/19 and it arrived on 2013/09/23.

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭stabeek

That's a beaut Ronan. Thanks guys for the ribble delivery hints. Cheers.

Advertisement