Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dota 2 Ireland Season 1

Options
  • 28-09-2013 6:12pm
    Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Ok, I think it's high time we get a proper league and running don't you think? Instead of confining to just boards users, the competition will be open to all Irish players!

To get the most exposure, there's now a Dota 2 Ireland Facebook page to help spread word of the competition.

The rules will be subject to change depending on the amount of teams enter, but initially we'll be looking at pooling everyone into one group, then determining a division 1 and division 2 league from there. There will be small prizes up for grabs from yours truly (Dota items probably).

Application form can be found here. Signups close on Sunday Oct. 13th.

On a related note, we'll be looking for Dotatv and Twitch casters for the games! Anyone can cast so long as they're not playing in another match at the same time.

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

1 week left, 2 teams signed up thus far and 4 more interested at the moment.

I'll throw a few quid for the winner as well as Dota items to spice it up a bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,229 ✭✭✭Dreddybajs

I'll submit a team for it, just haven't gotten around to it yet.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,082 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

have I been allocated a team and not told yet? Where can haz see sign ups

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Signups are on an auto generated sheet when the form is filled, for some reason I can't share it but I'll post next Sunday the entirety. Also no, you're not on a team yet.

Done

• Advertisement

A huge thanks to dreddy who's managed to lure convince Pyrion Flax to volunteer casting some of the Dota 2 Ireland matches!

On another note, 3 more days people! Get those teams in!

Team submitted. Get hype!

• Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭KarmaBaby

Any other misfits like myself looking to make up a team?

KarmaBaby wrote: »
    Any other misfits like myself looking to make up a team?

Sign up as solo, as it stands I think we could throw together a team of randoms :)

Sign up as solo, as it stands I think we could throw together a team of randoms :)

Didn't realise I could do that. Thanks.

• Advertisement

Awesome, I think we can make almost 7 teams now :) 8 would be great, then we would divide into 2 divisions. I'll post all the details Sun/Mon

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,082 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

I'll try and put together a team on sunday

You're on a team already with Kag?

You're on a team already with Kag?

Oh, the monkey didn't even tell me, that's me sorted so

U shut it

Giff me mana

Giff me mana

• Registered Users Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Dustaz

signed up

Today's the last day to sign up folks!

• Advertisement

Sorry, but you can take my name off the list. I'm not gona have much time for the game for a while.

Signups are closed! We now have the following lineups:

Team|Roster
    Granga|eLe[C],Ripchen,Waterboy,The Big D,Aturis,Wraith.
    WTF|cherryghost,blueexorcist,Mojojojo,depony,deconduo
    Unnamed Team|Vanilla Thunder, PHG, Fennikusu, Sinbad269, rcazzy
    Love2feed|kaG, Taraldrion, Known, Joe, Gooderz, Mikey
    Dire Strats|Dreddybajs, Kuruz, Red350, Rocketknight, Relax
    Unnamed Team 2|Justice, Trixer, TheCraigness, Mikdee, grizgrizzly
    Shiny Orb Express|Fiquem, LightKisu (captain), flyingcomma, Krox, FRANCH (stand-in)
    Drama|Aldo (c)Phil, Flavio, Shadowrath, Enbee, Flow

I ask for captains of each unnamed team to form a team name (Vanilla Thunder and Justice respectively. As for the solo's grouped together, I'll PM you guys each other's Steam profiles.

To make this as fair as possible, we will start from midweek next week onwards. This will give the solo teams time to play together and form some kind of strat.

Also, since we now have 8 (one team is missing a 5th but shouldn't be a problem, one of us can always stand-in if needs be), we will initially group everyone together. Rules will be as follows:

1. 1st stage is a prelim group where everyone will play each other once, with a best of 1. 3 points are awarded to winners. I reckon this will take about 2 weeks to complete due to time constraints etc(3rd week in Oct-Start of Nov).
    2. The top 4 are grouped into division 1 and the bottom 4 are grouped into division 2.
    3. In the event of a 4th/5th draw, they will play a best of 1, winners progress to division 1.
    4. Group games will be best of 2, everyone will play each other once. Again 3 points per win. (again should take 2 weeks to complete)
    5. After group positions are determined, a final elimination bracket starts. The top 2 from each division are placed in the upper bracket, the bottom 2 into the lower bracket.
    6. Elimination will be best of 3. Losers of winners brackets are still in the game, they are moved down to the losers bracket. (about a week or so)
    7. Semi finals and finals are best of 5.
    8. All heroes are allowed.

That's it really. So about a months play, average a game or two a week :) I'll PM out all captains to share each other's Steam a/c's so when it comes to start week, you guys can organize the prefferred times for the matches. Just be sure to announce it to myself or deconduo 24 hours prior to the game so we can get a caster prepared etc.

Good luck!

Signups are closed! We now have the following lineups:

Ooooh secret lineups :pac:

There! Granja's | ****ed up the table :P

Might be an idea to run it over a shorter amount of time, my experience with online leagues is that people tend to not play/go AWOL with longer run times and it might fizzle out. Either that or set 2-3 day periods where specific matchups are supposed to happen and let the captains work out when suits to play each other in those time frames, just so it's a bit less laissez-faire.

Huskar mid

Dreddybajs wrote: »
    Might be an idea to run it over a shorter amount of time, my experience with online leagues is that people tend to not play/go AWOL with longer run times and it might fizzle out. Either that or set 2-3 day periods where specific matchups are supposed to happen and let the captains work out when suits to play each other in those time frames, just so it's a bit less laissez-faire.

I would agree but I've had a fair amount of people say they can't do x-x dates for particular reasons. I think it might speed up over the halloween break though :)

Personally I'd want my team to get through as many of the prelims as quick as possible. It's just up to the other teams to agree time and date. If everyone finishes quicker then that's great.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,327 ✭✭✭NeoSlicerZ

Though I'm not playing, I think your format is far too long. Space it so it can finish in a weekend, then run more. BO1s, no loser bracket, bo3 finals. Having a long format lends itself to delays or simply matches not getting played. Knocked out teams can play each other for experience/fun.

Well you can count me out if you want to do it over one weekend. How about your idea spaced over 2 weeks instead then? Teams randomly drawn and then we can seed based on the results for next time.

• Advertisement

I can also play it fast, maybe more shorter ones would be good yeah. Both ways work fine for me. Probably have to force people to play fast all right or they just forget about it and wander off, judging by the reddit league!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement