Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Finn "Prince Devitt" Bálor Thread (Raw Spoilers ahoy!)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,767 ✭✭✭Ben Gadot

Awful news. I think when you look at the likes of Finn, Sasha, Zayn and even Bryan before them, it makes you realise just how much these people give and have given for entertainment. Damn near killing themselves and it shouldn't have to be that way. It was uncomfortable at times in the risks being taken watching Charlotte and Sasha even though it was a great match.

• Registered Users Posts: 894 ✭✭✭cian68

tumblr_ocbw4odvvi1sbzhteo1_500.gif?w=650

The way Balor puts his arm back to protect himself. Is that a mistake? Should he just be taking it all with his back? Or is Rollins at fault? I tend to think these things are just part of the game but I've seen Rollins taking some stick on twitter.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,415 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

I heard the news this morning but only watching the clip of raw and the gif above of the move that caused the injury. Firstly, I'm gutted for finn. He had it all going his way and now it's all on hold for six months.

The gif of the move. I mean maybe finn could have kept his arm down by his side but it looks like it was natural reaction when failing backwards. I'm sure we've all done it when falling back.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,535 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

cian68 wrote: »
    The way Balor puts his arm back to protect himself. Is that a mistake? Should he just be taking it all with his back? Or is Rollins at fault? I tend to think these things are just part of the game but I've seen Rollins taking some stick on twitter.

If he doesn't put his arm back he could break his neck.

I think it's a very reckless move. Any manoeuvre where the opponent is not in a position to protect himself, or the wrestler doing the move can't protect him, should not be used imo.

What does a running buckle bomb, here being used into a barricade, actually add to a match anyway? An Irish Whip into the barricade is much safer and accomplishes the same thing.

'It is better to walk alone in the right direction than follow the herd walking in the wrong direction.'

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,850 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

cian68 wrote: »
    The way Balor puts his arm back to protect himself. Is that a mistake? Should he just be taking it all with his back? Or is Rollins at fault?

Rollins probably should have taken another step forward before throwing Finn. They were too far away from the barricade, and he hit it on a slightly curved section.

I had to learn how to fall safely back when I was training for jujitsu, and a good break-fall requires tucking the chin and spreading the impact across the back and arms. Slapping the surface with the flat of the fore-arms and hands helps spread the shock too. It looks like Finn was trying to do that, but he hit the barricade at an awful angle.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,102 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

It looks like a move where Rollins has little to no role in the protection of Finn. So you can either say Finn should be protecting himself better or Rollins shouldn't be doing a move where he's throwing someone like that.

And since Rollins has already injured someone else doing that move, I'd go with the latter.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,159 ✭✭✭mrkiscool2

Yeah, don't think there is any blaming Finn for that to be honest. Rollins needed to do better. It's sad but hey, even more heel heat for Rollins and a super huge return for Balor (hopefully at the Rumble to win it)

• Registered Users Posts: 16,971 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

Looking at that gif it really makes me think Rollins should take a good deal of the blame. He throws Finn way too hard, and in a trajectory that was about two feet too high. Finn has to lead with the arm to change trajectory and cushion the impact. A bit of a softer throw ('easing up on the horsepower', to borrow SCSA's phrase when talking about Enzo's head injury) and (1) it would have made for a softer bump overall, and (2) Finn would have connected lower with the wall, allowing his feet to absorb part of the impact.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,947 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

So that is Sting and Finn now Rollins has injured with that move i say it will be banned now

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,108 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

I am sure that spot was agreed so it can't all be on Rollins.

The worst part was them hitting the actual buckle bomb later in the match and Finn had to try and protect himself from that with only one arm.

Amazing that he dislocated it, popped it in and went on to use the arm during the match.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,800 ✭✭✭ShagNastii

Must have been killing him.

Wouldn't know where I'd stand on Rollins being at fault. Balor did extend his arm to catch the railing which might no have been necessary.

Don't want to be a complete apologist but didn't Sting say he was at fault for his injury? Either way wouldn't be gutted if the turnbuckle powerbomb went. Meh move. Whilst we're at it get rid of moves on the apron. Too dangerous IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,159 ✭✭✭mrkiscool2

DM_7 wrote: »
    I am sure that spot was agreed so it can't all be on Rollins.

The worst part was them hitting the actual buckle bomb later in the match and Finn had to try and protect himself from that with only one arm.

Amazing that he dislocated it, popped it in and went on to use the arm during the match.
    Yeah, it's not all on Rollins. It was agreed before hand. But about 80% of the responsibility for doing that move safely is on Rollins. You have to remember, once Rollins launches Finn, there isn't much Finn can do but try to cushion the blow. Rollins released him too earlier and at an awkward part of the barricade so the blame is on Rollins.

I love Rollins, but he has injured two guys by not being careful enough on a move that has to be done to perfection or injuries are going to happen. If he can't do it safely, he should drop it.

• Registered Users Posts: 60,272 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Finn putting his own shoulder back in and continuing the match is the kind of **** Vince will love and having it on video as well with the rocket that was put on him I can only imagine Vince can't wait to relaunch it when Finn is ready to return.
    “Finn’s injury was pretty severe, more severe than normal. A really high energy injury, it did more damage than a standard shoulder dislocation where you simply tear the labrum. The prognosis is excellent, however. We were able to fix it all and put it back where it came from. I’m anticipating him getting back at full speed.”

https://twitter.com/FinnBalor/status/768265811840598016?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw

• Registered Users Posts: 45,535 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Lance Storm discussed the injury to Finn when talking with Bryan Alvarez. I provided a transcript of the conversation:
    Bryan Alvarez: One other thing we didn't get a chance to talk about on Sunday was the injury to Finn Balor...

Lance Storm: (sighs)

Bryan Alvarez:...which we talked about that spot on Sunday and that ended up being the spot that he got hurt on - the powerbomb into the barricade - and now he got surgery today, he's going to be out 6 months, he had to relinquish the title. What's going on in this business, Lance?

Lance Storm: Well, we talked about it in other matches too and it's the reliance on 'Oh my God', holy sh*t moves and stunts that is leading to a lot more guys getting hurt. And when you're throwing someone backwards at stuff, where your view is partially obstructed, and he's flying back - and I've seen guys, if they come a little short they bang their head on the barricade, too high you hit your back and fold yourself the wrong way - and to me on the replays it looked like Finn was coming up a little short, and he reached back with his one arm to try to take the top of the barricade, sort of like the top of the rope or the turnbuckle-

Bryan Alvarez: Which is how you would take it.

Lance Storm:...to try to catch himself somewhat, and it was too short and he hit his forearm or his elbow into it and it jammed his shoulder forward, and it obviously popped out of the socket. And tore his labrum. And both of these guys are good enough to have great matches without using these high risk moves. I'm not a fan of the Buckle Bomb. You've got a real small margin for error. And also, this is another thing I've always been against: is when your moves have a high risk, but the risk is on you, I don't mind it as much.

Tommy Dreamer, with all the stupid, dangerous sh*t he did in his career, he was always putting himself at risk. You were never at risk. It's the funny thing - 'the innovator of violence' - he's innovating different ways he can kill himself. He never put you at risk.

But when you're throwing guys backwards, it's all on you and the risk's all on him. And I don't like stuff like that. And I didn't like it when Sting took the Buckle Bomb, I don't like seeing it when other guys take it because when they come up short, it's the back of their head; and this one against the barricade was not good.

'It is better to walk alone in the right direction than follow the herd walking in the wrong direction.'

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,627 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

Just read that the original plans for Finn were that he would face Owens at Clash of the champions and that would lead to a triple threat with Jericho involved at the next PPV.

Those would have been some great matches and feuds for the fans but for me that meant that he was keeping the title for at least the next few months (not that the push he was in the midst of would suggest any less)... alas what will be will be

• Registered Users Posts: 20,753 ✭✭✭✭beakerjoe

Just read that the original plans for Finn were that he would face Owens at Clash of the champions and that would lead to a triple threat with Jericho involved at the next PPV.

Those would have been some great matches and feuds for the fans but for me that meant that he was keeping the title for at least the next few months (not that the push he was in the midst of would suggest any less)... alas what will be will be

Owens and Balors feud in NXT was grand, but I always felt it could have been better. A feud between them at this level could have been epic and really cemented him as a champion.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,627 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

beakerjoe wrote: »
    Owens and Balors feud in NXT was grand, but I always felt it could have been better. A feud between them at this level could have been epic and really cemented him as a champion.

The history they have and how good Jericho / Owens are on the mic and all 3 are in the ring I think it'd be perfect even if the WWE (which I believe they may) put the focus of the show elsewhere (such as Reigns or Lesnar).

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,108 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

• Registered Users Posts: 39,415 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

I saw that video earlier. It might be the medication he's on and the Anastetics don't leave your system straight away but that's day 1 and he seems totally pissed off. This is going to be tough on him.

• Advertisement

God he seems completely dejected. It's like he states, he is probably only realising just how long the six months will be. I'd imagine with both the injury and the surgery he is probably sapped from the pain of it all as well. Hard not to be smiley and happy with such a contant pain.

He has his days that he is counting down on. Hopefully he get sorted and can have some involvement in the "WWE Christmas" period. Rumble through to Mania.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,476 ✭✭✭brianregan09

Man that is just heart and ball breaking to watch really feel so sorry for the guy, can you imagine the monster pop he's going to get when he comes back

• Registered Users Posts: 4,079 ✭✭✭The Ayatolla

Surprise entrant in some kind of Fastlane #1 contenders match and go on to Mania and win it back.

The fact he's not a complete stick guy added to the seriousness of his injury there's not a chance of him being involved in any kind of programme.

That's said, given his impactful debut (and his NXT stuff) he'd certainly be a massive deal to throw into the mix come Mania time.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,079 ✭✭✭The Ayatolla

He could be in good enough shape to be #29 or #30 in the Rumble as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,712 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

pity he cant do a backstage role or something

hopefully all goes well for him in his recovery and he might get back in time to win the Rumble (be the second irish man to do so)

gutted i wont see him in Glasgow

• Registered Users Posts: 32,765 ✭✭✭✭CSF

Surprise entrant in some kind of Fastlane #1 contenders match and go on to Mania and win it back.

That would be a win for him, because I doubt if he was to start his reign from Summerslam that he would have been in the title match at Mania. Had Rollins v Reigns written all over it I think.

I'm guessing he will have a road to recovery series on The Network which should help keep him in the spotlight and maybe give casual fans an insight into Finn.

Also that video is the best promo he has give in the WWE.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,215 ✭✭✭harney

I haven't listened to it yet, but apparently Finn is on The Ross Report

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,396 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

At least he can take solace in getting a gift from such an awesome guy...

https://twitter.com/FinnBalor/status/771377878776815617

Advertisement