Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

What derby gear do you use?

• 27-09-2013 1:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭

I thought I'd get the ball rolling with threads here. Maybe players can list your gear and give reviews of how you like it?

I'm using

Helmet: Protech Spitfire
    Boot: Riedell 265
    Plate: Powerdyne nylon
    Cushions: Standard
    Bearing: Kwik abec 7
    Wheels: Atom juke 93as all over
    Knees: Destroyer
    Elbows: Anarchy
    Wrists: Roces
    Gum: Some random boxing one

What I like: My boot...265, I've had it 2 and a half years and it's still fitting like a glove!

What I'm looking to upgrade..plate and cushions! Getting new cushions at weekend so hopefully they'll make a difference!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭binncheol

I'm joining the wandbagon!

Helmet: Bauer hockey helmet (I don't remember which model)
    Boot: Bont Hybrid Carbon
    Plate: Powerdyne Revenge, standard mount
    Cushions: soft ones? idk!
    Bearings: Ones that go in my wheels? I can't remember which ones.
    Wheels: Generally Atom Jukes 88a. On a slippery floor I'll swap in a half set of Atom Poison slims.
    Knees: Smith Scabs
    Elbows: 187s
    Wrists: 187s
    Gum: Sisu Mouthguard/custom made one, depending on the shape of my Sisu one.

louloumc89 wrote: »
    I thought I'd get the ball rolling with threads here. Maybe players can list your gear and give reviews of how you like it?

I'm using

Helmet: Protech Spitfire
    Boot: Riedell 265
    Plate: Powerdyne nylon
    Cushions: Standard
    Bearing: Kwik abec 7
    Wheels: Atom juke 93as all over
    Knees: Destroyer
    Elbows: Anarchy
    Wrists: Roces
    Gum: Some random boxing one

What I like: My boot...265, I've had it 2 and a half years and it's still fitting like a glove!

What I'm looking to upgrade..plate and cushions! Getting new cushions at weekend so hopefully they'll make a difference!
    What cushions are you going for?

• Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭louloumc89

binncheol wrote: »
    What cushions are you going for?

I was reading up on it, and apparently it's to do with your weight and how you skate...
    One of my team mates pointed out that I skate with only one or two wheels on the floor a lot of the time. Apparently that means I should have soft cushions? I'm going to play around with them anyways. I've heard it can make a huge difference!

1013829_10151595227332261_1775484984_n.jpg

Sure grip super soft ones I think I want! They sell em in skate shop in Belfast so I'm getting them tomorrow!

• Registered Users Posts: 31 agony

Upgrading your cushions is probably the cheapest and most effective way to upgrade your skates. the first time i did it i was delighted with the effect. Aside from that in your pic, you look quite upright which will affect how long your wheels stay in contact with the ground as your crossovers wont be as deep. so get low and it'll also help. x

• Registered Users Posts: 5,984 ✭✭✭NakedDex

Helmet: Protec... something... I was issued it
    Boot: Antik AR1
    Plate: SureGrip Avenger
    Cushions: SureGrip Super
    Bearing: Bones Swiss/SKF (procured from a jet engine)
    Wheels: Poison/Snap
    Knees: 187
    Elbows: 187
    Wrists: 187
    Gum: Shock Dr.

It's a crying travesty that most of that stuff is gathering dust.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭Sligo22

Gonna jump in here too :)

Helmet- triple 8 sweatsaver- tho i wanna upgrade as i have heard these arent dual certified s prob arent the best fer derby even tho they are super popular!
    Boot- R3
    Plate- Thrust
    Bearings- bones super redz
    cushions- magic- hard
    wheels- radar bullets 88a and 93a
    Gumball toe stops
    Knees; Scabs elites
    Gaskets: smith scabs
    Elbows: 187s
    wrist: 187s
    Gumsheild: SISU 1.6

Have to agree cushions are super cheap and awesome way to upgrade ur skates- especially the R3's cause the ones the come with might as well be made of stone they are so hard. Instantly gained manoverability and better cornering and laterals.

I love all my gear- tho i wish the gakets were more durable- they are looking pretty tatty and ive only been skating a few months.
    and when i get new wrist guards i might try something other than the 187's- they are kay but i find the pinch my thumb sometimes.

agony wrote: »
    Upgrading your cushions is probably the cheapest and most effective way to upgrade your skates. the first time i did it i was delighted with the effect. Aside from that in your pic, you look quite upright which will affect how long your wheels stay in contact with the ground as your crossovers wont be as deep. so get low and it'll also help. x

I tried to get low in the belfast game at the weekend and looking at the pics I noticed that I was bending from my waist and not my knees to get extra low while taking hits on corners. I think I might need to invest some time in doing squats to make getting low bending from my knees a little easier!!

And re the cushions, the skate shop in Belfast had nothing in stock at all! Going to order online!! Will let you know how I go! I have grey ones in mine now. I got the riedell vandal skate package just over 2 years ago, so think they well need replacing!

• Registered Users Posts: 5 violentbob

i just changed from the gumballs to the Bionic Super Stoppers and I love them. They're pretty huge and the pre-angled shape makes for awesome traction and quick stopping. Highly recommended!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 cat tastrophe

How do you find the destroyer knee pads? are they bulky?

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭Katniss everMean

Helmet: Triple Eight Brain Saver,
    Boot: Bont Hybrid white (don't go for white, they are now white with huge patches of grey)
    Plate: Powerdyne reactor, standard mount
    Cushions: Powerdyne red
    Bearings: kwik Swiss
    Wheels: All over place at the moment, generally though heartless 86/88
    Knees: Smith Scabs and pair of gaskets.
    Elbows: atom
    Wrists: 187s
    Gum: prodent
    Bag: Atom wheel backpack

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 359 ✭✭pervertedcoffee

Kind of and kind of not gear related...

What do you guys use to carry all your stuff around? I was able to get everything except my skates into a tote bag (which was brill cause it was a super sassy 'may your enemies never find happiness' bag) but I dont want to be carrying my skates over my shoulders in the rain, on my way to training (I don't drive) so I need something big that'll go on my shoulders...

Also, I hate my toe stops... I hear the super stoppers are good for people that hate them though. May have to invest next pay check and see what happens.

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭Katniss everMean

I have the atom wheel backpack and i love it! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h0vQELj1B3M its perfect for training and I can fit everything into it including helmet. I've traveled to lots of away game using it also. If you are going away for one or two nights you can JUST about squeeze in change of underwear and tops etc. Ryanair never bothered to even check the bag for weight or size, well not yet at least!

Me & Katnip have matching bags cause we're cool like that. I got it because it's handy for travelling on buses/trains and doesn't take up a load of space. But you do have to pack it carefully to get everything to fit in!

I use a wheely bag..I got a cool silver one in dunnes and put stickers in it. Carrys everything...fits in ryanair carry on. It's unreal. If you're cycling to training, it won't work. Thank God my Mrs drives AND plays derby.

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭Merrilady

My gear now resides in the attic :rolleyes: due to my 9 month injury, it's also up there to stop me drooling at my 265's with Sure Grip avenger short forward mounted plate (mmmmmmmmmm)

Interesting about the stoppers VB, as my Gumballs don't really do it for me anymore with the way the plate is mounted, and I loooove my stoppers. They kinda disappeared under the plate.

First thing I will be replacing will be the wheels (can't even remember what mine are now ) then a new shiny blue helmet :)

• Registered Users Posts: 13 EvaLittleThing

Helmet: Tripple 8 Sweatsaver
    Boot: Riedell R3
    Plate: PowerDyne Thrust Nylon
    Cushions: Universal Magic Cushions 78A - Soft
    Bearing: KwiK ABEC-5
    Spacer: 8MM from Wreckless
    Wheels: Radar Flat Out
    Knees: Smith Scabbs
    Gasket: Smith Scabbs
    Elbows: 187 Killer
    Wrists: 187 Killer
    Gum: SISU

• Registered Users Posts: 702 ✭✭✭wreckless

violentbob wrote: »
    i just changed from the gumballs to the Bionic Super Stoppers and I love them. They're pretty huge and the pre-angled shape makes for awesome traction and quick stopping. Highly recommended!

good to hear some reviews Bob, would you like to add that to the site?

• Registered Users Posts: 5 violentbob

sure thing, want me to put together something a bit more articulate though?

• Registered Users Posts: 702 ✭✭✭wreckless

yes, no txt spk ok ;) m8

• Registered Users Posts: 31 Tails!

I've ordered some 265 boots with suregrip avenger plates and can't wait for them to arrive :D i'm also trying to decide on some new wheels too

• Advertisement
Advertisement