Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

National Hill Climb Champs Tralee 6/10/2013

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1 TByrne2012

Desmond Sportive CC in Newcastle West, Co Limerick are running a hill climb TT this coming weekend 28th Sept ( Mass Rock challenge ). It would be a good warm up for the national hill climb in Tralee.

• Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭davgtrek

Its a great test that "Short Mountain" climb and i'd recommend heading to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 885 ✭✭✭ryan_sherlock

I'll be going - Saturday the 28th - very (VERY) early to close signon...

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭flat6

Looking for a corresponding Strava segment - couldn't find one :-(

• Registered Users Posts: 31 G200

flat6 wrote: »
    Looking for a corresponding Strava segment - couldn't find one :-(

There ya go:

http://app.strava.com/segments/2321580

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

G200 wrote: »

Wahey, third. I set mine in the middle of the Race Around Ireland. I expect to be bumped well down.

Raam wrote: »
    Wahey, third. I set mine in the middle of the Race Around Ireland. I expect to be bumped well down.

That's a damn good time, would have bagged you a top 5 when the NHCC was last held there in 2010.

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭jimzy

Looking forward to this – should be a good end of season blast!
    Anyone got ideas on entry numbers for the event or has that been released now that the sign on is closed?

No sign of start list yet, will post as soon as one is up!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,065 ✭✭✭buffalo

haha! I can guarantee I won't be finishing as high as I'm starting!

• Registered Users Posts: 17 JohnJ87

I'll be going - Saturday the 28th - very (VERY) early to close signon...

Would you mind me asking what kind of set up in terms of gearing and wheels you plan on using for the hill climb on Saturday? I wont be competing on Saturday but I cycled it this morning as I live nearby. It's a beast of a climb, don't envy anyone doing it. Best of luck on the day, and I'll be watching with interest near the top somewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 885 ✭✭✭ryan_sherlock

JohnJ87 wrote: »
    Would you mind me asking what kind of set up in terms of gearing and wheels you plan on using for the hill climb on Saturday? I wont be competing on Saturday but I cycled it this morning as I live nearby. It's a beast of a climb, don't envy anyone doing it. Best of luck on the day, and I'll be watching with interest near the top somewhere.

Race is Sunday. probably 39x25 will be my lowest gear but 23 would be fine too. (If I need lower gears than that, I'm not going fast enough).

The times from 2010 should also be taken with a grain of salt. There was a massive storm at the time and it was directly into a headwind. In the morning before, I thought it would be canceled!

Race is Sunday. probably 39x25 will be my lowest gear but 23 would be fine too. (If I need lower gears than that, I'm not going fast enough).

The times from 2010 should also be taken with a grain of salt. There was a massive storm at the time and it was directly into a headwind. In the morning before, I thought it would be canceled!

Would say most mortals would struggle with those ratios unless planning on pushing out +450w for 10 mins! ;)

I'd say defo faster times this year if weather is more neutral, 2nd half of climb very exposed to elements...

• Registered Users Posts: 17 JohnJ87

Sunday it is, thanks for the heads up! That headwind makes the times from 2010 allot more impressive (not that they weren't already impressive). It will be nice to have some times to gauge my form off for the up coming season.

Cracking day here in Tralee, just arrived agus tá an ghrian ag scoilteadh na gcloch!

buffalo wrote: »
    Cracking day here in Tralee, just arrived agus tá an ghrian ag scoilteadh na gcloch!

Welcome to the Kingdom!

Yeah amazing weather today in Kerry, shame the champs isn't on today :(

Podium: Dowling, Sherlock, Bruton.

And Spaeth, McEntee, Schwedler for the women.

Well-run day!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,991 ✭✭✭el tel

Just wondering, does a national event like this have chip timing?

diff between 1st and 2nd was 0.7 sec according to sticky bottle. I've done time keeper for tt events and by eyeball and stopwatch the marging for error in the timing is huge, certainly within the realm of seconds, at least when I wasdoing it!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 282 ✭✭dedocdude

Don't think any event outside of world tour or other major professional events would have chip timing with transponders and the like on a riders bike - maybe some of the large sportives

Always struck me as a strange event this one - held in winter practically, with a few exceptions like last year - it usually attracts a small crowd, but especially that its a championship event for a type of event that has no other events during the year

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭Straatvark

dedocdude wrote: »
    Don't think any event outside of world tour or other major professional events would have chip timing with transponders and the like on a riders bike - maybe some of the large sportives

Almost all events in SA (mtb/road/racing/"funrides" i.e. sportive in Ireland) are done with timing mats and transponders. You buy the transponder and it is logged permanently against your identification number. Results are stored and use for seeding calculation that is used for starting position/bunch.

It works very and has advantages, but loads negatives as well - mainly 'racing' for position 23458 by "slow" riders on not so closed public roads. The pro/con discussion can go way deeper into financial/politics between our PPA and CSA (similar to CI & IVCA) but not important here. The new UCI rule that participants must be UCI registered to take part in a race is also debatable.

Always struck me as a strange event this one - held in winter practically, with a few exceptions like last year - it usually attracts a small crowd, but especially that its a championship event for a type of event that has no other events during the year

Indeed. I was looking at the rules for this a few days ago - in fact in the very pack accompanying this year's event:
    No jersey will be awarded in a Championship event where there are less than 3 Open events held in any one year in that discipline

Do we have any open hill climbs?

Indeed. I was looking at the rules for this a few days ago - in fact in the very pack accompanying this year's event:

Well there was one last week in Limerick. Would Hilly TTs in stage races like the Suir Valley count?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 519 ✭✭✭fixie fox

Anyone know how come they gave Vets prizes when they only took entries from "A1, A2, A3, A4, Junior"?

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭bwalsh1983

fixie fox wrote: »
    Anyone know how come they gave Vets prizes when they only took entries from "A1, A2, A3, A4, Junior"?

I'm guessing you had to include your age with your category and were given prizes accordingly.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,187 ✭✭✭Junior

Our Club ran a few this year as part of our league races.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,538 ✭✭✭nak

They are using timing chips for the Fixx Supercross series this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,146 ✭✭✭Morrisseeee

el tel wrote: »
    Just wondering, does a national event like this have chip timing?

diff between 1st and 2nd was 0.7 sec according to sticky bottle. I've done time keeper for tt events and by eyeball and stopwatch the marging for error in the timing is huge, certainly within the realm of seconds, at least when I wasdoing it!

Yikes, 0.7sec, you could argue that human error could have decided the outcome ! (note: I'm not saying they got it wrong, just amazed how close it was )

• Advertisement

G200 wrote: »
    Well there was one last week in Limerick. Would Hilly TTs in stage races like the Suir Valley count?

Club league wouldn't count, and I don't think any as part of a stage race would. Note that there wasn't one in Suir Valley this year anyway.

I'm not objecting to the holding of the champs, but think there's an opportunity for some more hill climbs to be held to validate the champs.

Advertisement