Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Beach find - large teeth!

Options
  • 24-09-2013 7:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭

Was walking in the surf awhile ago and found this. It looks like a portion of a large jaw bone with teeth, big predator teeth. the longest of the teeth are over half an inch long. They also have that predator look, facing different directions and in two rows. Anyone care to hazard a guess as to what it came from? Any CSI fishy experts?!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 259 ✭✭Brianmeath

SeaFields wrote: »
    Was walking in the surf awhile ago and found this. It looks like a portion of a large jaw bone with teeth, big predator teeth. the longest of the teeth are over half an inch long. They also have that predator look, facing different directions and in two rows. Anyone care to hazard a guess as to what it came from? Any CSI fishy experts?!
    Could be a tope

• Registered Users Posts: 727 ✭✭✭Timfy

No trees were harmed in the posting of this message, however a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭dodderangler

Dragon.
    We're all fcuked. :D

I'd say conger. Has that bend in the jaw like a conger

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,166 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

Conger, big ling or hake would be my (hedging) 3 guesses

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭Hatfry

Anglerfish of some sort?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭Bogwoppit

Large hake would be my first guess, those teeth are a fairly unique shape.

Bw

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭mathepac

A missing banker hopefully perhaps?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

I too would go with Hake.

• Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭breghall

I'm thinking part of a monkfish jaw myself.

breghall wrote: »
    I'm thinking part of a monkfish jaw myself.

Could well be, without it in hand it's hard to tell.

• Advertisement

I don't think its monkfish as the jaw doesn't seem to have enough of a curve, although it is hard to tell in the photos.

Bw

• Registered Users Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭SeaFields

Theres a bit of a curve in it alright but not a major one. After looking at photos from suggestions here im going with monkfish too but its not conclusive ....im no fishy pathologist !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,270 ✭✭✭tin79

Hatfry wrote: »
    Anglerfish of some sort?

I would agree with that. I would also agree with Monkfish if people are referring to the non angel shark species named monkfish (which are anglerfish).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭wexandproud

monkfish teeth. monks are often refered to as angler fish and angel sharks are a different specie all together

Anglerfish are a family of fish named so for the growth of skin on their head used as a lure ( hence why they are called anglerfish) to entice small bait fish towards it.
    Monkfish also known as goosefish come from Lophiidae family in the anglerfish group.

I never heard of them referred to as anglerfish but I do know they are in the anglerfish family.
    I got most of this from Wikipedia but I just wanted to clarify it to myself as I knew that monkfish was a type if anglerfish.
    Used to see tem being pulled in from the boats down in cork all the time. The heads were just disgarded into the water from the pier. Ugly looking things.
    Believe the taste is gorgeous though

Monkfish is used to describe several species in different situations. To anglers the Monkfish is Squatina squatina, or the Angel Shark. In restaurants and fish mongers what is sold as Monkfish is usually the tail or fillet of different members of the genus Lophius - Angler fish. They have on occasion served up Squatina as monkfish as well.
    It's a general, common name which in effect has little meaning

So what species teeth are we looking at?

Lophius - but hard to tell from the photos alone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,270 ✭✭✭tin79

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lophius_piscatorius

probably

tin79 wrote: »

yep, looking at the skeleton in that diagram its seems i found one half of an upper jaw. scale woukd appear to match too.

Mystery solved :)

• Advertisement

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 81 ✭✭lewishamilton

yep deffo monkfish

Fenit Monkfish

As we were discussing the monkfish, one was landed on fenit pier recently on baited mackerel feathers. :)

SeaFields wrote: »
    Fenit Monkfish

As we were discussing the monkfish, one was landed on fenit pier recently on baited mackerel feathers. :)
    What's the story on keeping one of them?
    Is it perfectly legal to?

What's the story on keeping one of them?
    Is it perfectly legal to?

They are red listed and tag and release programmes are in place but as far as I know they currently do not have any legal protection.

• Registered Users Posts: 882 ✭✭✭dazza161989

Its a hake judging by pics. Monkfish has more curvature in the jaw and conger tooth formation differs from those in pics.

Advertisement