Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Pre-Christmas events for families

Options
  • 24-09-2013 3:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 58,456 ✭✭✭✭

My sister will be home from Australia for Christmas and our entire family is mad about Christmas. We're looking to do a big family day out (4 kids ranging in age from 1 to 7) and parents, aunties, uncles, grandparents, etc.

We'll have to go the weekend before Christmas as my sister only flies in on the 20th. We all live in either Meath or Dublin, but are willing to travel a bit. We're looking for something really Christmassy. Over the past couple of years my nephews have been to Christmas events at Tayto Park and Causey Farm, so we're looking for somewhere different.

We had hoped to book Santa's Cottage in Newry, but there isn't any suitable availability for the weekend before Christmas, plus it's quite expensive.

I was also looking at Santa Train in Tullow, just came across it by accident though and hadn't even heard of it before.

Has anyone got any recommendations?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,324 ✭✭✭✭Cathmandooo

The National Concert Hall in Dublin have their Christmas Concert featuring the Snowman on that weekend. I went last year and even as an adult it was amazing. Super Christmassy. Basically it's The Snowman on a big screen with the orchestra playing the score live. It will be narrated on stage. But on top of that Santa makes a big arrival, everyone sings Christmas songs, there's kids of all ages up dancing on the stage, they do some games with the audience.

https://www.nch.ie/Online/default.asp?doWork::WScontent::loadArticle=Load&BOparam::WScontent::loadArticle::article_id=E3FE0C3F-189A-4350-9C7A-5FEB5F0688CB&BOparam::WScontent::loadArticle::context_id=E51499A4-E0C9-4D0C-B23F-DD7B17FB8B3E

It seems this year there's some ballet and puppet animation.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,727 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

The snowman will be on at the O2 this year due to the demand it got last year. 8th of December.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,251 ✭✭✭Pang

Mount Juliet in Thomastown in Kilkenny are advertising their Santa Village if anyone's down that direction.

• Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭minibear

What about Winterval Festival in Waterford city? Lots of events and attractions for all ages.
    You could even book a visit to Santa for the children. :)

http://www.winterval.ie/

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

thaman wrote: »
    Hiya had a look at their website.
    Seems the concert hall one is different this year and not suitable for younger kids defiantly not 3 to 6.
    The O2 one is as I saw it last year.
    Theatre school kids are super and the Santa terrific.

Saw this on another site...
    The Snowman has moved to The O2 this year. Seems the NCH have gone more classical and highbrow, not sure it's suitable now for the youger kids. Details below of The O2 one... looks great.

The Snowman comes to The O2
    The Snowman Christmas Special - The O2 Dublin - Sunday 8th December 3pm & 6pm

*Please note change of venue this year and check your ticket for time of performance*

Suitable for all ages from 3 to 103!
    Auditorium doors open 45 mins before performance
    Running Time: 1hr 20mins approx (no interval)
    Children: €15/€18, Adults: €20/€23
    Family ticket: €65/€75 (2 adults and 2 children)

https://www.theo2.ie/index.php/artist/the-snowman-christmas-special/225

Where did you hear that the NCH one being changed?
    I can see not difference on the webpage besides the Nutcracker stuff.
    My eldest is only 4 and this will be her 4th time going:)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,727 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Moonbeam wrote: »
    Where did you hear that the NCH one being changed?
    I can see not difference on the webpage besides the Nutcracker stuff.
    My eldest is only 4 and this will be her 4th time going:)

It's not in the NCH this year. It's been moved to the o2

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

bah, we have tickets for NCH so hopefully it lives up to my expectations and those of the 4 year old and the 2 year old.

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭Tarzann

So what did people think of the show yesterday?

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Santa in Aillwee Caves is good. Recommended.

Advertisement