Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on [email protected] for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact [email protected]

Medal Mounting

2»

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭cruasder777

John_D80 wrote: »
    Like the Brits wear?? Yeah much better looking.

to be honest swing mounted medals clink when marching, look crap and you can get them 100 percent straight;.

hence why nearly every professional military court mounts medals.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,539 ✭✭✭John_D80

to be honest swing mounted medals clink when marching, look crap and you can get them 100 percent straight;.

hence why nearly every professional military court mounts medals.

I find I can get mine perfectly straight and rigid by piercing the tunic material in three places with the long pin as opposed to two, like most lads do. Don't know if that makes sense the way I've explained it.

The clinking sounds terrible I agree. All my medals have tiny little dents in the sides from banging off each other.

Are the court mounted medals fixed directly to the ribbon behind them or something? Is that how they don't move?

I find I can get mine perfectly straight and rigid by piercing the tunic material in three places with the long pin as opposed to two, like most lads do. Don't know if that makes sense the way I've explained it.

The clinking sounds terrible I agree. All my medals have tiny little dents in the sides from banging off each other.

Are the court mounted medals fixed directly to the ribbon behind them or something? Is that how they don't move?

A backing material called buckram is used to keep them rigid.

A backing material called buckram is used to keep them rigid.

How does that work? Are they fixed onto it somehow?

Are you a serviceman yourself?

How does that work? Are they fixed onto it somehow?

Are you a serviceman yourself?

Heres a website that explains, the ribbon is fixed to it. Ex serviceman, Parachute Regiment junior leaders, II Squadron RAF Regiment then the Queen’s Colour Squadron (QCS).

http://www.themedalmountingshop.com/mountingstyles_4.html

• Advertisement

Heres a website that explains, the ribbon is fixed to it. Ex serviceman, Parachute Regiment junior leaders, II Squadron RAF Regiment then the Queen’s Colour Squadron (QCS).

http://www.themedalmountingshop.com/mountingstyles_4.html

Wow, you got about a bit. Never knew the Para's had a junior leaders program. How come you didn't follow it up and go into the Para's proper if you don't mind me asking?

Cheers for the link btw. Think I understand how they are fixed now.

Wow, you got about a bit. Never knew the Para's had a junior leaders program. How come you didn't follow it up and go into the Para's proper if you don't mind me asking?

Cheers for the link btw. Think I understand how they are fixed now.

Long story, II squadron RAF regiment have a more sophisticated Para role and I liked the look of them more, it was called junior parachute company, based in Farnborough and Aldershot, we did training in the morning, class room in the afternoon. Lots of training on Hankley common. QCS are part of the same regiment.

Old film, kids making it look easy.

http://www.britishpathe.com/video/boy-paratroopers/query/boy+paratroopers

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Derisol

Has anyone heard anything about the Defence Forces changing the precedence in which their medals are mounted? Seems like an awful lot of bother to go to to change the order in which your medals are mounted!!

Advertisement