Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nurses

Options
  • 12-09-2013 1:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12,404 ✭✭✭✭

I am curious about this, how come nurses are like a red rag to a bull on boards in various forums from the Irish economy to after hours.

Why do they attract all the ire, a small amount of it is misogyny for sure, and some of it is a bit nutty, but it is more that that as well.

Its definitely a Irish thing my daughter is a nurse in the UK and no one give a feck its just a job like any other job.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,379 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

mariaalice wrote: »
    Its definitely a Irish thing my daughter is a nurse in the UK and no one give a feck its just a job like any other job.
    What did you actually ask your daughter, or hear from her? e.g. did you ask if she noticed any comments on some UK forums similar to boards? did you bother to search yourself?

I doubt people who might whinge about them on boards are going around all the hospitals openly ranting at nurses in public.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

I am curious about this, how come nurses are like a red rag to a bull on boards in various forums from the Irish economy to after hours.

Why do they attract all the ire, a small amount of it is misogyny for sure, and some of it is a bit nutty, but it is more that that as well.

Jaysus, that's the first time misogyny ever crossed my mind as a reason to begrudge nurses.

Tbh most of it seems to be about pay, as with all public sector bashing. Others don't seem to like that they've a pretty good reputation, and many sing their praises after witnessing what they do. Others just seem to belittle them as a vocation.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,068 ✭✭✭Specialun

some folks just want to be outraged and then the bandwagon just rolls on

• Registered Users Posts: 10,067 ✭✭✭✭wp_rathead

huh?
    read the overpaid/underpaid thread - vast majority of posters agree they are underpaid and have nothing but utmost respect for nurses and care assistants

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

All jobs attract ire and vitriol here, nurses, teachers, guards, bouncers, farmers,no one is immune.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,296 ✭✭✭Frank Black

Haven't read much 'ire' on boards specifically directed at Nurses, and as regards misogyny - you are aware nurses aren't exclusivly female?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,404 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

rubadub wrote: »
    What did you actually ask your daughter, or hear from her? e.g. did you ask if she noticed any comments on some UK forums similar to boards? did you bother to search yourself?

I doubt people who might whinge about them on boards are going around all the hospitals openly ranting at nurses in public.

Yes we do talk about it as she had friends who are nurses at home and they often talk about he difference between the job here and in the UK.

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭Tornaxx

Yes we do talk about it as she had friends who are nurses at home and they often talk about he difference between the job here and in the UK.

And what conclusion do they come to?

Haven't read much 'ire' on boards specifically directed at Nurses, and as regards misogyny - you are aware nurses aren't exclusively female?

Of course I am aware they are not all female, there have been answers to question on The Irish economy regarding public services and nurses always get a terrible time there as well, the thing is there are lots of profession in the public services, but nurses get singled out a lot followed by guards and teachers.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,068 ✭✭✭Specialun

and were off..................

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

triple time on a Sunday

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭jr22

triple time on a Sunday

......and they know feck all about medicine. :p

big pensions

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭jr22

big pensions

Big arses.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,533 ✭✭✭Jester252

Without nurses who will marry the garda? I don't know many who would want to do such a hard job and fair play to the for doing it.

Jester252 wrote: »
    who would want to do such a hard job and fair play to the for doing it.

17 euro an hour for fluffing a few pillows and fetching drinks

easy money

• Registered Users Posts: 10,067 ✭✭✭✭wp_rathead

easy money

trolling or just good old fashioned ignorance Sept?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 960 ✭✭✭cletus van damme

5 nights on the trot of a nightshift.

I'm good friends with a nurse and it's a nightmare week.

also I like nurses - the women ones, of course

The misogyny was on a different forum and consisted of bizarre stuff about female nurses drinking and em mating behaviour, as I said that's just a very small part of it. There are lots of professions in the public services they are not mentioned by profession when the public service is being bashed, however nurses seem to be different in being singled out.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,533 ✭✭✭Jester252

easy money

I was talking about been married to a garda

• Advertisement

Jester252 wrote: »
    I was talking about been married to a garda

Sorry misunderstood you

no amount of money would cover that

• Closed Accounts Posts: 527 ✭✭✭joeperry

I've worked in lots of hospitals and they do feck all. Ok cleaning poo ain't the best but it's not hard work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

joeperry wrote: »
    I've worked in lots of hospitals and they do feck all. Ok cleaning poo ain't the best but it's not hard work.

When it's all over curtains, walls, down the back of radiators, it can be tough enough.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭spank_inferno

Teachers receive more ire and that profession is heavily weighted towards women (not a fat joke har-har!)

So criticism of nurses is not likely to be based on misogony.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭Ace Attorney

wouldn't say theres a lot of hate towards nurses on boards, if you look at the recent thread about air hostess and nurses not being up to scratch, there was a lot of praise for them and rightly so imo, in general there is a lot of hate towards anyone with a public job on boards, I wouldn't let it bother you tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 1,403 ✭✭✭spiritcrusher

joeperry wrote: »

Yeah, that's not all they do at all. They do most of the personal care alright which is absolutely not easy (you have a stroke or major operation and try to get up and dress yourself or walk more than 5 yards to the bathroom straight away, especially hard considering most people in hospital are quite old), they manage meds, monitor status changes of patients (go to an MDT meeting and usually the most info is gained from the nurse), keep track of what each patient has scheduled for the day so things don't overlap and so on. And that's often for each patient on a ward that could have over 20 patients.

I'm also not a nurse but a therapist in rehabilitation so I see a lot of what they do.

Can you provide some examples of this in After Hours?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭MonaPizza

K-9 wrote: »
    Jaysus, that's the first time misogyny ever crossed my mind as a reason to begrudge nurses.

Tbh most of it seems to be about pay, as with all public sector bashing. Others don't seem to like that they've a pretty good reputation, and many sing their praises after witnessing what they do. Others just seem to belittle them as a vocation.

PAY????

Are people suggesting that nurses are overpaid?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭Matt_Trakker

I don't like they way they look at ya...they've seen so much death and pain that they look at you as nothing more than the next body they have to wrap in a bag.....
    I see nurses and all I see is death in their eyes and the love of life gone out of them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

MonaPizza wrote: »
    PAY????

Are people suggesting that nurses are overpaid?

The public sector obsessives would. In fairness the OP is on about minority opinions on nurses, which on Boards a lot of the time is attention seeking trolls.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

Advertisement