Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CI Presidency

Options
  • 12-09-2013 11:30am
    Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,711 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭

The CI AGM will be held in Monaghan on 26 October. At that AGM a new President will be elected to replace the outgoing Rory Wyley. So far I am aware current Board member (elected last year) Denis Toomey has put his hat in the ring. He sent a letter out which is reproduced here

The vote will be taken on the same basis as the recent EGM - basically votes go to Club Delegates, Board Members, Commissions and Provincial Executives

I know others have mentioned there will be at least one other candidate but at this time I don't know of any who have officially announced their intention to stand (if anyone knows differently then please post details). Hopefully there will be more candidates allowing a healthy debate and giving the opportunity for members to choose from candidates with alternative visions for Cycling in Ireland.

This is the most important job within Cycling in Ireland. A lot of posters here have expressed concerns about the way CI has been run and this is an opportunity for members to influence the way the organisation is run going forward.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,479 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

Beasty wrote: »
    I know others have mentioned there will be at least one other candidate but at this time I don't know of any.

Pat maybe? Will he be booted out of the UCI race by then?:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,097 ✭✭✭morana

the office of president is a tricky one. If you look at the last 2 incumbents Mr Concannon and Mr Wyley they were both in a position to devote a large amount of time to the position. Even as a former Vice President (sounds Troy Mclure-ish!) the majority of the work was done by Rory, Geoff and the Secretary Mr Watson.

I think the fact that Denis is retired is a big plus but on the other hand I would question whether the amount of work that the former presidents put into it means that a good working person could take up the office.

I dont want to start to go into the issues that need to be addressed but I think a new president should stand back and evaluate where we are and where we need to get too. Differentiate between the strategic objectives and the work that needs to be done by the CEO and paid employees.

anyway there will be a handful in Monaghan so if you can get 30 votes you should get the position if you want it!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,909 ✭✭✭wav1

There are also up to 3 board positions available this year in addition to the Presidential election.
    Morana has to be replaced
    John Horgans 2 yr stint is up and his position is to be voted on.[i assume he's standing again]
    If Denis Twomey is successful in his presidency bid,then he too would have to be replaced as an ordinary director.
    AFAIK there is a Leinster based nominee for the presidency,but this has to be confirmed.
    I do hope there is at least a contest for the position because there hasn't been one for a long time.

wav1 wrote: »
    T
    Morana has to be replaced

IRREPLACEABLE!!!!!!!

I think there are 2 Leinster based possibles

More or less agree with what marana has to say.
    I dont think anybody with a full time job could do this role justice.
    What i would love to see from whoever it is,that gets the position,is more genuine contact and communication with the grassroots,and listen to what the grassroots have to say.
    Of the essence to the incoming President should be the re establishment of the key commissions that have been let go in the past couple of years.Youth being one of the very key ones.As i have posted many times the current crop of juniors didn't happen by accident and without a hard working youth commission,things will strt to go in the oppisite direction again.The same is true of all the other key commissions.
    Let him select people who are suited to these roles,listen to their conerns etc,and then let these people get on with their roles,without constant interfering from the board.If the right people are put on these commissions they will work like clockwork,and benefit all the members in the different sectors of the sport.

• Advertisement

More or less agree with what marana has to say.
    I dont think anybody with a full time job could do this role justice.
    What i would love to see from whoever it is,that gets the position,is more genuine contact and communication with the grassroots,and listen to what the grassroots have to say.
    Of the essence to the incoming President should be the re establishment of the key commissions that have been let go in the past couple of years.Youth being one of the very key ones.As i have posted many times the current crop of juniors didn't happen by accident and without a hard working youth commission,things will strt to go in the oppisite direction again.The same is true of all the other key commissions.
    Let him select people who are suited to these roles,listen to their conerns etc,and then let these people get on with their roles,without constant interfering from the board.If the right people are put on these commissions they will work like clockwork,and benefit all the members in the different sectors of the sport.

Wav1 Communication has to be a major component of any manifesto. If I were going for it I would offer that the phone would be answered. Simple as that. and thats not a criticism of the staff btw. Why cant it be given to a 3rd party to manage calls etc.

morana wrote: »
    Wav1 Communication has to be a major component of any manifesto. If I were going for it I would offer that the phone would be answered. Simple as that. and thats not a criticism of the staff btw. Why cant it be given to a 3rd party to manage calls etc.
    Feel a rant coming on but i wont.I agree even if a 3rd party had to be brought in.The office is quick enough to bring in 3rd party people to do other stuff such as the on line provider for race applications etc.The latest one [and one that our club and many more are totally opposed to]is the mandatory on line entry for all races in 2014.Before i vote for anyone i want to know where they stand on this one.Will change the racing landscape as we know it,and i believe do away with the sunny day rider who might only make their mind up on the night before a race.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,711 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

From what I have seen there is a wealth of untapped talent within CI. Too much currently falls on too few people, making it difficult for them to find the time to actually deliver signicant progress

A lot of us on here contributed to getting the EGM and were prepared to put some effort in to see democracy prevail within CI. What I would like to see is a CI President who is fully inclusive of all disciplines (and not primarily focussed on male road racing). As mentioned by wav1 and morana, communication is key. Get people of trust in positions to properly oversee the various disciplines, provinces and groups (women, juniors, vets etc). People who can put in place their own structures to deliver benefits to all the stakeholders. The grassroot members are key to this - they are the ones that have got to do a lot of leg work, be it organising events/races, petitioning local authorities, turning up to marshal etc.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

FWIW I think Rory has been a dedicated and extremely good president. He has done a lot that hasn't been publicly acclaimed such as finally bringing in cardiac screening and joining the MPCC.
    I think Denis Twoomey would be a great choice but like the posters above I'd like an election and debate on the future path CI is going to take.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 mark kiernan

there are no women on the board ,this needs to change
    a voice of reason would go a long way
    failing that ,we could all chip in for a makeover for morana and buy a few dresses for him

• Advertisement

failing that ,we could all chip in for a makeover for morana and buy a few dresses for him
    Would love to see a woman on the board,but they have to put themseves forward for nomination first.
    As for morana the beard would be a giveaway.

I hope Val Considine could be persuaded to stand. I would be too pretty to be a woman!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 382 ✭✭12 sprocket

Feel a rant coming on but i wont.I agree even if a 3rd party had to be brought in.The office is quick enough to bring in 3rd party people to do other stuff such as the on line provider for race applications etc.The latest one [and one that our club and many more are totally opposed to]is the mandatory on line entry for all races in 2014.Before i vote for anyone i want to know where they stand on this one.Will change the racing landscape as we know it,and i believe do away with the sunny day rider who might only make their mind up on the night before a race.

Wav, will it not take some of the workload from the clubs a and prevent clubs who might get caught out with low fields from losing money on their races.. will it also make collection of race levies easier? Surely theres more benefits to be had for the clubs than negatives.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,535 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

is the mandatory on line entry for all races in 2014.Before i vote for anyone i want to know where they stand on this one.Will change the racing landscape as we know it,and i believe do away with the sunny day rider who might only make their mind up on the night before a race.
    Will this mean that no on the line entry will be available in any circumstances?

Wav, will it not take some of the workload from the clubs a and prevent clubs who might get caught out with low fields from losing money on their races.. will it also make collection of race levies easier? Surely theres more benefits to be had for the clubs than negatives.
    Couple of different issues here.
    A lot of promoters depend on the cash flow on the day for prizes,expenses,etc.With the on line provider the money could come a week later.
    As far as clubs getting caught out with small fields is concerned.What will happen under the new proposed system,i fear,is that promoters who see they have small entries in the days leading up an event,will simply pull the plug.So you're right they wont get caught out,but the nett result could be no event.

CramCycle wrote: »
    Will this mean that no on the line entry will be available in any circumstances?
    Cramcycle as i understand unless this is opposed there will def be no ''on the line'' entries anymore and i think it would be a real shame.

• Registered Users Posts: 298 ✭✭ragazzo

There is no race levy. This was discontinued some years ago. The provincial levy is now paid by all clubs when they affiliate to CI each year.

I agree with Wav1 and think the pre-entry system will prove to be more negative than positive.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,711 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

I personally would favour compulsory advance online entry. Fields have got to be limited if road racing is going to flourish in Ireland (as highlighted by the Kilmessan "experience"), and if you don't take entries in advance you risk turning away riders on the day. It should be no big deal if riders have to plan ahead for a few days.

If promoters are concerned about losing money, they should simply reduce the prizes.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,535 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

ragazzo wrote: »
    There is no race levy. This was discontinued some years ago. The provincial levy is now paid by all clubs when they affiliate to CI each year.

I agree with Wav1 and think the pre-entry system will prove to be more negative than positive.

I think it is a good idea to have an online option for races where possible, the obvious ones that may struggle are those that are created on short notice to fill a gap but getting rid of on the day entry means my limited entry this year will be lower next year as with my work schedule I would not know until the day before in alot of cases if I could get out.

This is getting way off topic but is it something that could be brought up at the Provincial AGM or is it the CI AGM only for this sort of thing. Apologies for my lack of knowledge on such things. Would a counter motion need to be submitted now or can it be brought up as AOB?

It was made clear at last year's AGM that no motions may be submitted from the floor. I think there remains scope to propose amendments to any motions that are submitted ahead of the specified deadline

I would add though that this is something which, although could be subject to a resolution at the AGM, would normally be left to be agreed at Board or Commission level. It's certainly not a rule that has to be brought before the membership for a vote

• Advertisement

to get back on topic if I was an incoming president I would assure promoters that they would have the cash in their accounts when the online entry for their race closes via a bank transfer.

• Registered Users Posts: 581 ✭✭✭DubVelo

I've a question, this seems a good a place as any to ask;

Does a CI president get paid?
    What about the other members of the board, and other staff?
    Is the budget or summary accounts published each year?

DubVelo wrote: »
    I've a question, this seems a good a place as any to ask;

Does a CI president get paid?
    What about the other members of the board, and other staff?
    Is the budget or summary accounts published each year?
    President and board members dont get paid
    CEO and various other staff do get paid
    Yes accounts are published at the AGM.

Yes accounts are published at the AGM.
    And are available to view on the CI website

2 x confirmed canditates now Denis Toomey and Ciaran Mc Kenna.First time since 90s there will be a contest.Thats good to see at least.
    Whos the smart money on now for the position?

2 x confirmed canditates now Denis Toomey and Ciaran Mc Kenna.First time since 90s there will be a contest.Thats good to see at least.
    Whos the smart money on now for the position?

Its Ciaran Twomey for me!

It depends how the canvass. I have no idea and would like to hear what Ciaran says before I vote.

morana wrote: »
    Its Kieran Twomey for me!

It depends how the canvass. I have no idea and would like to hear what Kieran says before I vote.
    Ciarans letter went out to the clubs yesterday and Denis's went out a few weeks ago so their both out there now.

Ciarans letter went out to the clubs yesterday and Denis's went out a few weeks ago so their both out there now.
    I look forward to seeing what he has to say - I found Denis very forthcoming when I questioned him on some of his policies.

EDIT - just found his letter here

Both canditates letters/pitches are now up on www.stickybottle.com

• Advertisement

As well as the presidency the Office has released the documentation for the AGM download from cyclingireland.ie. a good few motions up for discussion as well as board elections and the Presidential election. I glanced thru it today but couldnt really digest it,. One that that did stand out was the grading review and in particular the IVCA bit.
    I have some views on the grading but it seems ok in general.

Advertisement