Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

course fish

Options
  • 07-09-2013 12:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 681 ✭✭✭

Just wondering, is it legal to take course fish from a canal to use as pike baits at a later date?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 519 ✭✭✭viper123

gumbo1 wrote: »
    Just wondering, is it legal to take course fish from a canal to use as pike baits at a later date?

Afaik you can in theory so long as a. the canal you are refering to allows the taking of fish, and b. you observe the standard regulations...

A person shall not take and kill by any means more than 4 coarse fish on any one day.
    A person shall not take and kill by any means any coarse fish greater than 25 cm in length measured in a straight line from the tip of the snout to the fork of the tail.

I do have the funny feeling though I am going to corrected on above, I have heard from various unconfirmed sources that pike baits must be bought and receipts kept however I've never seen this verified.

• Registered Users Posts: 681 ✭✭✭gumbo1

viper123 wrote: »
    You can so long as a. the canal you are refering to allows the taking of fish,

It's the royal canal I'd be fishing, how would I go about finding out if I'm allowed to take them??

• Registered Users Posts: 519 ✭✭✭viper123

viper123 wrote: »
    You can so long as a. the canal you are refering to allows the taking of fish,[/quote

It's the royal canal I'd be fishing, how would I go about finding out if I'm allowed to take them??

I'm sure someone will come along with an educated answer pretty soon :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,274 ✭✭✭Macy0161

99% sure the canals are catch and release only, under waterways Ireland bye laws.

The canals have been hammered enough without people taking fish out to use as bait on top.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Bizzum

Bye law 806 of 2006 is what you need.

I've seen C&R signage in place along the Royal and Grand Canals and I've seen guidelines but I've never seen legislation to back it up, no have I seen any attempt by WI to enforce it.
    I think it's high time a specific C&R bye law be enacted for the Royal/Grand Canals.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,274 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Bizzum wrote: »
    I think it's high time a specific C&R bye law be enacted for the Royal/Grand Canals.
    Time for it for all coarse fish, not just canals - in my opinion it looks hypocritical to moan about east Europeans taking tench for the table, while defending taking roach or rudd to use as dead bait.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Bizzum

Macy0161 wrote: »
    Time for it for all coarse fish, not just canals - in my opinion it looks hypocritical to moan about east Europeans taking tench for the table, while defending taking roach or rudd to use as dead bait.

I'd be slow to bring any particular nationality into the debate.
    The reason I specifically mentioned both Canals as opposed to Coarse fish everywhere is because the canal fish tend to regenerate their numbers slower than many of the lakes I'm familiar with.

Tench are not the only species that find themselves on the table, but as you mentioned them I think it's wrong to take any Tench (even though the law allows it), they are not near as prolific as Roach.

I was on the royal during the week, from phibsbouragh to castleknock and didn't see any signs for c+r anywhere along that stretch! I hesitate to say how many fish I seen, incase I get read the riot act, but it looked well populated with perch and I think they were dace but not sure about that!
    I always c+r but was just wondering if it was permitted to take any of them! At least I asked first!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,270 ✭✭✭tin79

I was on the royal during the week, from phibsbouragh to castleknock and didn't see any signs for c+r anywhere along that stretch! I hesitate to say how many fish I seen, incase I get read the riot act, but it looked well populated with perch and I think they were dace but not sure about that!
    I always c+r but was just wondering if it was permitted to take any of them! At least I asked first!

Waterways Ireland have made both the Grand and the Royal Canals 100% C&R. From discussing with one of their guys WI Ireland essentially own the canals including fishing rights and can therefore apply rules without the need for a legal bye law. Not sure how accurate that is (the guy was part of a weed cutting group).

There are some signs at, for example, Louisa bridge in Leixlip. But their own site suggets its a policy and so I am not sure how enforceable it would be. Myself though I wouldnt risk it.

http://www.waterwaysireland.org/Pages/Angling/angling-on-the-grand-canal.aspx

The difference is based on ecology and population dynamics.

Roach especially have enormous reproductive potential and grow rapidly to adult size.

Tench are slow growing and cannot populate (or recover) anywhere near as fast as roach.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,616 ✭✭✭8k2q1gfcz9s5d4

your comparing apples and oranges. nobody kills bream or tench for pike baits, as they are not a common as roach, and they reproduce in much greater numbers than bream and tench (and rudd). There is also a massive difference between a few small roach for pike bait in the winter, then indiscriminately eating all fish that ends up in your hook.

Im pretty sure all the canals are 100% catch and release, and they should be.
    tin79 wrote: »
    Waterways Ireland have made both the Grand and the Royal Canals 100% C&R. From discussing with one of their guys WI Ireland essentially own the canals including fishing rights and can therefore apply rules without the need for a legal bye law. Not sure how accurate that is (the guy was part of a weed cutting group).

What time of the year were they cutting the weeds? They have a habit of cutting them at the same time the coarse fish are spawning, which is not helping the canals recover from the hammering they have got over the last few years.

your comparing apples and oranges. nobody kills bream or tench for pike baits, as they are not a common as roach, and they reproduce in much greater numbers than bream and tench (and rudd). There is also a massive difference between a few small roach for pike bait in the winter, then indiscriminately eating all fish that ends up in your hook.

Im pretty sure all the canals are 100% catch and release, and they should be.

What time of the year were they cutting the weeds? They have a habit of cutting them at the same time the coarse fish are spawning, which is not helping the canals recover from the hammering they have got over the last few years.

Well you guessed it! Bang in the middle of spawning time for the bigger cyprinids. It was sometime in June. I have emailed them and IFI complaining on timing numerous times in the past but they wont engage. I have seen fresh eggs deposited on swathes of cut reeds on the bank on more than one occasion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,616 ✭✭✭8k2q1gfcz9s5d4

tin79 wrote: »
    Well you guessed it! Bang in the middle of spawning time for the bigger cyprinids. It was sometime in June. I have emailed them and IFI complaining on timing numerous times in the past but they wont engage. I have seen fresh eggs deposited on swathes of cut reeds on the bank on more than one occasion.

I dont think there is anything that IFI can actually do, as waterways Ireland own the canals. very hard for the canals to recover when the fish dont get a chance to spawn properly

I dont think there is anything that IFI can actually do, as waterways Ireland own the canals. very hard for the canals to recover when the fish dont get a chance to spawn properly

Yes that's pretty much what IFI said. They can advise and request WI to act in a particular way but WI seem to do what they want anyway. Its a pity nobody in WI seems to have a particular mandate to enhance the canals suitability for fish populations.

Agree its far from ideal for fish recovery it wouldn't be so bad if they stuck to the centre track like they used to but in recent years they seem to be removing rushes, reeds and lillies en masse too.

Anybody know where to get some maggots in Dublin?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭uch

Southside always have them also ABC and Rory's

21/25

Advertisement