Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Euskaltel saved

Options
  • 02-09-2013 11:55am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,450 ✭✭✭

Fernando Alonso has apparently just bought the team

Edited to say he's bought the licence for the team and is looking for sponsors.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,874 ✭✭✭Zyzz

Had to google translate*

"The Spaniard has always expressed his enthusiasm to somehow enter the sport he loves. He works in Formula-1, loves cycling. "Someday I'll have my own cycling team," he said in Turkey in 2007.
    Until that day, as close to his dream was a computer game in which consumed hours and hours and always drew the same satisfaction: attacking his rivals in the mountains.
    By the spell of Indurain, five consecutive Tours, was born Alonso's fondness for cycling. That and the bike has roots in Asturias, in the nineties became a team, the Clas-Cajastur, on a flag.

Now, to find sponsors."

He's worth something like 100+ million lol

And yup this is him

alonso-bike-inline.jpg

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,526 Mod ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

Sí. Muy bueno!

http://www.elperiodico.com/es/noticias/deportes/fernando-alonso-compra-euskaltel-2619778

I'm glad they got their buyer. It's not altogether surprising but Alonso and the other backers sure left it late.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,477 ✭✭✭rollingscone

You think with that net worth he'd spend a bit more on his bi...cheque please!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,834 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

I seem to remember seeing him on some program or another talking about his passion for cycling, and there's almost as many photos of him on a road or mountain bike as there as of him in his F1 car, he seems to train a lot with the MMR Bikes team.

Photos on his twitter feed show him with shaved legs and his razor of choice, and him doing a time trial,
    http://api.ning.com/files/q0WmifDxwDua1uEKI4rnat49du83Etz5sxRC1toB7XAu7LacQ3xEdBsm*EleyWTFvJeEXN5ZhKDmiludjmCxmsUy6t987S3n/fa.png

• Registered Users Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭ZiabR

Delighted!

He posted on Twitter last night that he had a big announcement coming in the next few days. Great news for the team, they got their buyer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,752 ✭✭✭C3PO

• Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭alexanderomahon

Is he a Basque?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,450 ✭✭✭Harrybelafonte

No, he's not Basque. He's from Asturias.

• Registered Users Posts: 726 ✭✭✭granda

just waiting for an all conquering 'red bull' team now

• Registered Users Posts: 3,187 ✭✭✭Junior

Two interesting tweets from Dan Llyod today

Alonso came on a training ride with us at Cérvelo in 2009. He was embarrassingly good - it wasn't an easy ride. In the end, I asked the…

…following car to stop giving him bottles and food. He blew up with half an hour to go, made me feel a lot better.

https://twitter.com/daniellloyd1/status/374506996630048769

https://twitter.com/daniellloyd1/status/374507147729829888

• Advertisement

According to his twitter he had clocked up close to 7000km on the bike this year, impressive stuff for an F1 driver!

And his legs look insane aswel!

http://twitter.com/alo_oficial/status/356474943686451200/photo/1

• Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭DaithiMC

Zyzz wrote: »
    According to his twitter he had clocked up close to 7000km on the bike this year, impressive stuff for an F1 driver!

F1 drivers are among the most fit athletes. Many of the top drivers are also cracking god cyclists and/or triathletes, Rosberg, Button to name a couple. Being a fan of both sports, there are similarities in terms of strategies and they are both sports where the teams have to work to give their leader the glory! So I can see why this would be attractive for Alonso. Hopefully it might incite others to join the party!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭hardCopy

Preview of their bikes for next year:
    2011112804440267708.jpg

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,208 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

I would have thought he would have done more.

I know that F1 guys are extremely fit hence why I'd assume he would be doing massive milage to keep fit.

• Registered Users Posts: 790 ✭✭✭mistermatthew

godtabh wrote: »

I know that F1 guys are extremely fit hence why I'd assume he would be doing massive milage to keep fit.

Average 40k cycle and 4k run a day approximately. That is quite a lot

Pfft, I used to cycle that to work every day and run more than that around the office daily :)

• Registered Users Posts: 790 ✭✭✭mistermatthew

Pfft, I used to cycle that to work every day and run more than that around the office daily :)

But were you TTing 21k in 28:43?

Lol. Not a bad aul rider

No, of course not... I was down to 27:58, on my commuter with panniers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 326 ✭✭AnotherView

So does this mean Contador will leave Saxo ??
    I believe Bjarne Riis is having difficulty covering his 4 million plus salary ???

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

I believe Bjarne Riis is having difficulty covering his 4 million plus salary ???

wow 4 million. He has not been good value for that this year so far. Is that 4 million £,$ or € ?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 326 ✭✭AnotherView

wow 4 million. He has not been good value for that this year so far. Is that 4 million £,$ or € ?

it's €4.5 million per year to be more precise
    Its why Tinkoff was having a stinkoff so to speak, saying it is twice that of Chris Froome

godtabh wrote: »

Im sure he has racked up quite a large amount of km with other sports, seems like hes into a bit of everything! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,308 ✭✭✭quozl

seems like hes into a bit of everything! :)
    So you're saying that I have a chance with Alonso!

/man crush

• Registered Users Posts: 726 ✭✭✭granda

cant wait to see the ferrari's with the bike racks

f40bicitetto.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭RunDMC

From Oviedo, about 100km west of Bilbao. He said he'll be moving the team, but no detail on where.

R

ferrari-on-fire_420-420x0.jpg

ferrari-jinx-f430-burns-in-malaysia_1.jpg

ferrari-458-on-fire.jpg

bike-in-fire.jpg

:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

I've done 10,000Km on my bike this year.
    Why don't my legs look like his?.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,526 Mod ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

I'd say highly likely. There's still about 2 years left on his Saxo contract though as far as I can remember, but Saxo will be keen to let him go I imagine.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 20,977 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

I'd say highly likely. There's still about 2 years left on his Saxo contract though as far as I can remember, but Saxo will be keen to let him go I imagine.

Keen to let go of the greatest grand tour rider of his generation? I seriously doubt it. This time 12 months ago he won the Vuelta. He had a terrible Tour by his standards, but he's not finished.

I can see him doing a Nibali next year
    and winning the Giro and Vuelta.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

Advertisement