Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buy cheaper bicycle parts on holidays? Thailand!

Options
  • 31-08-2013 1:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭

Hi all,

I've been following the cycling threads for a while but this is my first post.

I'm off on holidays to Thailand for a few weeks! :)

I was thinking I could pick up a cheap ultegra groupset or sram or something as it might be a lot cheaper over there in Asia.

Has anybody any experience in picking up bicycle parts in Thailand? In particular Bangkok?
    I was hoping I might be able to pick up a ultegra for sora money etc.

Any experience or advice appreciated!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,076 ✭✭✭gman2k

browsing wrote: »
    Hi all,

I've been following the cycling threads for a while but this is my first post.

I'm off on holidays to Thailand for a few weeks! :)

I was thinking I could pick up a cheap ultegra groupset or sram or something as it might be a lot cheaper over there in Asia.

Has anybody any experience in picking up bicycle parts in Thailand? In particular Bangkok?
    I was hoping I might be able to pick up a ultegra for sora money etc.

Any experience or advice appreciated!

I think you're better off shopping on the net. You don't want to waste your limited time in Bangkok trapsing around looking for a bike shop! It's a huge city, and plenty else to do!
    Been there a couple of times already! Enjoy!

• Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭The Ging and I

There are as good as you can get bike shops there. Prices were good.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,448 ✭✭✭touts

Its one thing to buy "cheap" clothes or dvds or such in places like Thailand. But I wouldnt be in a hurry to buy "cheap" bike parts that could leave me stranded miles from home if they failed, and it could be even worse if they failed on a steep descent. Now maybe there are bargains to be had if you know where to look but I would always have that nagging doubt in my mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭derealbadger

touts wrote: »
    Its one thing to buy "cheap" clothes or dvds or such in places like Thailand. But I wouldnt be in a hurry to buy "cheap" bike parts that could leave me stranded miles from home if they failed, and it could be even worse if they failed on a steep descent. Now maybe there are bargains to be had if you know where to look but I would always have that nagging doubt in my mind.

Was it a she

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭browsing

thanks for the responses!
    apologies in the delay, I haven't been able to access boards in the last few days from hotel wifi but that's not a problem in the new place.

@ The Ging and I
    Do you have any names of The places you went to? I've an extra15kg allowance to play with!

@touts
    I'm happy to take the risk. I think it'll be ok. I'm looking to get shimano or sram anyway.
    Somebody mentioned to me that perhaps they might be able to sell 105 rebadged as ultegra! I don't think I'd have enough of an eagle eye to tell the difference!

@ gman2k
    I think I might have come across this before I left, I looked at one or two websites but they didn't have prices etc. are there any you can recommend?

I'm back to Bangkok in 2weeks so I might buy stuff then. I'd love to get a cheap groupset!

I only came across one small bike shop in BK, in a mall somewhere, can't remember where. There wasn't much of a selection of goodies, and no bargains!

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭browsing

Just in case anybody was wondering, I had no luck in getting a cheap bike shop in Thailand.
    I found one shop on facebook but they had "offers" on framesets etc. that were inline with Irish prices so I didn't think it was worth the effort seeking it out and wasting half a day roaming around bangkok!
    The holiday was good fun though!

Advertisement