Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Permission to fish

Options
  • 27-08-2013 4:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 834 ✭✭✭

I'm just looking to find out if i would need permission to fish a perticular lake in cavan.
    I fished there a few years ago without any issue, but at the time a local from the fishing club came down to me to see what i was at.
    Once i told him i was from Dublin and fishing for pike, he said fish away and we had a cuppa.
    The lake is Nadreegeel in cavan,and i'd be fishing for pike again.
    If i do need permission, who would i contact.
    Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭jkchambers

You can fish away as long as you dont kill and respect farmers land. There is an active club there and they keep a good eye on it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Bizzum

I'm just looking to find out if i would need permission to fish a perticular lake in cavan.
    I fished there a few years ago without any issue, but at the time a local from the fishing club came down to me to see what i was at.
    Once i told him i was from Dublin and fishing for pike, he said fish away and we had a cuppa.
    The lake is Nadreegeel in cavan,and i'd be fishing for pike again.
    If i do need permission, who would i contact.
    Thanks.

Yeah, fish away there at Lacken, no problem. The barrier can be closed betimes to the carpark but the house opposite usually open it.
    The angling shop on the Cavan rd out of Virginia (Lakeland tackle I think?) Has plenty of info about Lacken and would be worth a call if your going by.

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭Flysfisher

jkchambers wrote: »
    You can fish away as long as you dont kill and respect farmers land. There is an active club there and they keep a good eye on it.

Glad to hear that, they are nice lakes and often I fished them in the past, great going up the canal into the other lakes. When I last fished them 10 years or more ago there was some good pike in them.
    There's savage depth of water just outside the carpark / boat slip. How did they fare during the poaching spree of the boom years?

• Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭jkchambers

They had problems the same as everyone else. Recent problems at the car park let them to put a combination lock on the gate. The lake used to be stocked with some pike transferred out of Sheelin. Some of these pike were very large. That would have been a few years ago now. The lake has pike, perch, rudd, roach and eels. I was told that no bream were caught in surveys.

• Registered Users Posts: 834 ✭✭✭indie armada

That's very usefull info, thanks a mil.
    as i said i fished there many years ago, parked up in the car park with the kelly kettle on constantly for the tae.
    The chap that came down to us was worried that we might be keeping and killing the pike, and yes, we did have some nice pike caught on deadbait.
    Its a nice spot if your not into hauling your gear trough fields and over fences.
    Thanks again

• Advertisement
Advertisement