Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Midleton CTC welcome you to meet and cycle with Nicholas Roche 20th October

Options
  • 22-08-2013 12:26am
    Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭

Hi all,

My club are organising this event. It was run on a smaller scale last year and was a great success. Everyone had time and a chat with Nico and the club have put together a great route with a slightly bigger programme of events.

Please use the contacts on the poster for more information.

Might see ye there! Brendan

9564423181_fb921be6ee_c.jpg

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 326 ✭✭AnotherView

That seems like very good value and a good day/night out
    If I was in Cork I would definitely go but unfortunately I am not

Good Luck

• Registered Users Posts: 869 ✭✭✭Daithi BC

Best of luck with that. I really like the idea of a controlled pace. Not for everyone, I'm sure, but it's nice to see a leisure event that is going to be a leisure event and not a race.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 TOSH CAHILL

ALL KIDS THAT TAKE PART WILL GET TO CYCLE ALONG SIDE NICOLAS, AFTER THE CYCLE THEY WILL GET A DRINK, TAYTO, A BAR AND A SIGNED SAXO BANK TEAM CAP ALL OF THIS IS FREE TO HELP YOUTH CYCLE CLUBS AND EVERYONE IS WELCOME

• Registered Users Posts: 42 winterwarden

Fantastic. I'll make it 100km by cycling to it! Huzzah

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭joehayes999

This is on 20th Oct. (my b'day!). 80km controlled pace. Anyone doing this? Also anyone know the route..seems its a secret :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,559 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

This is on 20th Oct. (my b'day)
    No it's not - it's mine!!

Threads merged

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭bwalsh1983

Any indication on whether Kreuziger will be joining on this?

• Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭Brendan Hennessy

Hi all,

Belated reply, apologies from us down here in Cork, we must have some other sporting event on our minds!

So, first up if the birthday boys make it down they'll definitely get "Happy Birthday" and the bumps.

Speaking of bumps, people are inquiring about the route: it's not a secret, but I just can't find a link to it! However, you might check out Midleton Cycling and Triathlon Club on facebook or log on to www.nicolasrochemidleton.com for updates. Right now - and I'm sorry about this - all I can tell you is the event begins in Garryvoe. Our usual club routes from there take us around the coast and some of the inclines of beautiful east Cork.

I'm really looking forward to taking the young fellow out for the free kids event in the morning...Kreuzinger or not!

More updates to follow, but in the meantime, rebels abú, and thanks for your interest.

Best wishes,

Brendan

PS. As well as the spin, there's a dinner, a Q&A session and signed jerseys and gear from the Saxo-Tinkoff team for auction.

This is on 20th Oct. (my b'day!). 80km controlled pace. Anyone doing this? Also anyone know the route..seems its a secret :mad:

Garryvoe to Youghal into the town back up the Youghal bypass onto castlemartyr turn right at shorts bar castlemartyr climb up into Dungourney into Midleton and the main road back to garryvoe hotel

Kids cycle starts at 11am sharp with refreshments and a signed Saxo bank cap after its all free for kids but family's must enter on line for insurance reason

Sportive starts at 12 30 at a controlled pace so everyone gets to cycle along side nico refreshments for everyone after entry fee only 20 euro

Dine with nico at 6pm
    Meal
    Q and A , auction, and raffle plus your chance to get photos with all the jerseys from this years vuelta
    30 euro per tickets to book please contact toshdcahill@gmail.com

To enter on line www.nicolasrochemidleton.com

Thanks
    Tosh Cahill

• Advertisement

bwalsh1983 wrote: »
    Any indication on whether Kreuziger will be joining on this?

We won't no this for another week or so he is going to come with nico to Ireland not sure if he will make it down to cork

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭joehayes999

Garryvoe to Youghal into the town back up the Youghal bypass onto castlemartyr turn right at shorts bar castlemartyr climb up into Dungourney into Midleton and the main road back to garryvoe hotel

Based on what you said this is roughly the map............but Please Note...this is my map and not necessarily the actual route. It could be very wrong too!!!! :eek: In particular I dont know how they are going thru Youghal and Midleton. Feel free to correct me if you know better.
    http://www.mapmyride.com/routes/view/292883795

Based on what you said this is roughly the map............but Please Note...this is my map and not necessarily the actual route. It could be very wrong too!!!! :eek: In particular I dont know how they are going thru Youghal and Midleton. Feel free to correct me if you know better.
    http://www.mapmyride.com/routes/view/292883795

Your bang on this it alright

Thanks Joe and Tosh,

For Strava users here's the same map: www.strava.com/activities/76099013
    or for googlers: http://goo.gl/maps/X0v2H

You can't say you don't know the route now!

The mention of strava reminds me to remind folk that this is not a race nor time for strava records. It will be ridden at a controlled pace to give everybody sometime with Nico.

These are great times for Irish cycling - well done Sam Bennett - so it's nice to close the season (or open winter training) with a leisure spin with yet another Irish grand tour stage winner - and top 5 finisher. That's as much a plug for the youth/juvenile event as it is for the spin and evening dinner event.

Best to all,

Brendan

• Registered Users Posts: 2,606 ✭✭✭Cape Clear

Thanks Joe and Tosh,

For Strava users here's the same map: www.strava.com/activities/76099013
    or for googlers: http://goo.gl/maps/X0v2H

You can't say you don't know the route now!

The mention of strava reminds me to remind folk that this is not a race nor time for strava records. It will be ridden at a controlled pace to give everybody sometime with Nico.

These are great times for Irish cycling - well done Sam Bennett - so it's nice to close the season (or open winter training) with a leisure spin with yet another Irish grand tour stage winner - and top 5 finisher. That's as much a plug for the youth/juvenile event as it is for the spin and evening dinner event.

Best to all,

Brendan

Great times for Irish cycling the very best with this event. Just wondering what sort of numbers are ye expecting for the cycles and dinner?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,892 ✭✭✭madtheory

Booked my place, looking forward to this... :)

• Registered Users Posts: 942 ✭✭✭outfox

I'm definitely in.
    Forgive my ignorance. What do the professional cyclists get out of these rides? Is it team publicity? If so, I would have thought that Saxo don't have any involvement in the Irish market? Do the pro's get paid for such rides?
    Just curious.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,892 ✭✭✭madtheory

It's looking like about 500 for the spin and 160 for the meal, so far.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 326 ✭✭AnotherView

madtheory wrote: »
    It's looking like about 500 for the spin and 160 for the meal, so far.

That's alot and I expect most people haven't booked yet

Is it part of the 'CORK Gathering' which I believe runs until 20th October

Hi all,

Just a few sleeps till the Nicholas Roche event in Midleton this Sunday. The club has received signed jerseys for auction from Gilbert, Wiggo and Rochey in World Champ, Yellow and Team colours. There will also be a display of bikes and kit both new and old.

10317598423_ed1a6733f8.jpg

Kids event starts early, seniors spin with Nico later and then dinner with Q&A later.

See ye there! Brendan

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭New2bike

Hi Brendan what time is a safe time to be there for check in ect have my email printout ?? Really looking forward to it??

Hi New to Bike and all

I'd say be ready for 12 for the main spin. You know yourselves how long it takes to get the bike out of the car, get the gloves and helmet on, lock the car, go back to the car for the bananas etc., etc., lock the car, go back to the car for spare tubes. Hmmm, maybe the front needs a bit more air. Oh I meant to centre the brakes. Will I wear the jacket and the gilet or just the jacket.

Janey they're leaving already! Damn forgot the gels.

KIDS CYCLE - 11AM START | REGISTRATION 10AM
    Kids and Family Fun Cycle for 6-10km leaving at 11am sharp with refreshments, photos and autographs afterwards. All completely free of charge, to help promote cycling in our area. There will be a special gift to all juvenile riders from Nicolas.

SPORTIVE - 12.30PM START | CHARGE - 20Euro
    12.30pm Departure. 80KM. This is not a race but will be at a controlled pace. Everyone should get a time to ride alongside Nicolas Roche. Free Finger food, tea/coffee, photos and autographs afterwards in the hotel along with showers.

Don't forget the dinner at 6pm, great value at €30 and great auction prizes too. Brendan

Advertisement