Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Planet X SL Pro Carbon Ultegra

Options
  • 18-08-2013 8:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭

Hi was looking into getting a new bike and came across the Planet X SL Pro Carbon with Ultegra on their website.

It seems like a good deal. Has anyone any experience, good or bad, with Planet X bikes?

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,557 ✭✭✭The tax man

Planet who.:confused::confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭MRJ

Only messing MRJ. I've two of their Ti bikes. A lot of of people here ride PX bikes. I'm sure you'll have a good few replies along soon.
    Although from reading reviews of the Irish outlet they can be hard to reach\contact at times. I only ever dealt with them in the UK and found them great to deal with.

No bother Tax Man, thanks for the reply. Yeah read a few reports about their customer service being hard to reach but it seems a well spec'd bike for the money, might be worth a spin over to Athlone to get a proper look.

It was a very popular bike around these parts a few years ago,mainly due to the fact it was such a good price. IIRC the only thing negative I heard about it was the front end been a bit twitchy under certain conditions.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

I have two Planet Xs. One a three year old Nanolight with SRAM Red group set.
    It has never missed a beat. Lovely bike, and light with it. Mine is an XLARGE and weighs about 6.9K.
    Last month, I bought an SL Carbon Pro. Mine has a mixture of SRAM Rival and SRAM Force.I am well pleased with it. I use it for all, except special occasions.
    It handles well. I am a bit of a Clydesdale and I have no complaints about rigidly.my XLARGE weighs in at about 7.5K.
    All in all great value.

Thanks Eamonnator, they seem good value bikes. Been doing a bit of research on the net and cant seem to find a bike with ultegra groupset and carbon frame for the same money.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,941 ✭✭✭Bigus

I've my Planet X Rt 57 more than 18 months now,supplied By athlone PX ireland, absolutely fault free, great value for the light weight and spec.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

That's a fantastic price, very tempted myself!

Eamonnator could you post a picture of your bike as the one on PX site is only a promotional picture and not very clear ( on my phone)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,076 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

Carbon and Ultegra for €1300. That's some price. I know a couple of people with planet x bikes, never hear a complaint.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

CJC999 wrote: »
    That's a fantastic price, very tempted myself!

Eamonnator could you post a picture of your bike as the one on PX site is only a protional picture and not very clear ( on my phone)

Just going out on my bike. Will post photo later on.

• Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭Fathead

Just pulled the trigger on one of these using the BTW, now the hard part black or matt black?????

• Registered Users Posts: 814 ✭✭✭mp31

...I've two of their Ti bikes...

Hmmm interesting... I've been considering Ti for a while. What Ti bikes do you have...and are they more comfortable than comparable alloy bikes?

Fathead wrote: »
    Just pulled the trigger on one of these using the BTW, now the hard part black or matt black?????

Definitely go for the matt black, cool looking bike.

mp31 wrote: »
    Hmmm interesting... I've been considering Ti for a while. What Ti bikes do you have...and are they more comfortable than comparable alloy bikes?

Apologies mp31,meant to reply to your question yesterday but got sidetracked.
    I've both the Pro Road and the Sportive models. These frames are from '09 and '10 when their frames were made by Lynskey. The frames they have now are made by Van Nicholas.
    The Sportive has wider tyre clearances and mudguard eyelets and a slightly more relaxed geometry compared to the Pro road.

I went from a Lapierre Tech 7 alloy frame with carbon rear triangle to the Ti frame and found it much more comfortable. I find they dampen out the buzz from rough road surfaces,roads I avoided on the alloy frame no longer bother me on the Ti frame. I'd want to be going over a very bad surface for it to really get to me.
    I can't give a true comparison between Ti and carbon because the only carbon bike a have is a TT rig and that ain't built for comfort.
    I find it stiff enough but they have more flex than a carbon frame but I'm quite light so I don't really put it under too much stress.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭Carpenter

I'm going down tomorrow to have a look @ them can I use my BTW and pay the extra ???

• Registered Users Posts: 3,243 ✭✭✭ratracer

Carpenter wrote: »
    I'm going down tomorrow to have a look @ them can I use my BTW and pay the extra ???

Yes, you can pay the price difference. Make sure you phone before you travel to the shop or it may well be a wasted trip. I bought from the lads there before. Great service when you can get them, but not the easiest to get hold off all the time.

ratracer wrote: »
    Yes, you can pay the price difference. Make sure you phone before you travel to the shop or it may well be a wasted trip. I bought from the lads there before. Great service when you can get them, but not the easiest to get hold off all the time.

:confused:are they not open on Saturday

• Registered Users Posts: 3,243 ✭✭✭ratracer

Carpenter wrote: »
    :confused:are they not open on Saturday

I thought that too, but made a futile trip from Galway to find the shop closed. I have also called in twice more since then, while I was in the area but it was closed both times, it would be safer to make a quick call before heading off.

They should be open tomorrow, I made the trip down Monday with the intention of buying the SL Pro but after almost an hour of driving around looking for the place and their phone ringing out as they had some problem with their landline. When I found the shop they had no large frame in stock to try out. They are nice looking bikes though. I ended up buying a Felt on the way home:)

• Advertisement

MRJ wrote: »
    They should be open tomorrow, I made the trip down Monday with the intention of buying the SL Pro but after almost an hour of driving around looking for the place and their phone ringing out as they had some problem with their landline. When I found the shop they had no large frame in stock to try out. They are nice looking bikes though. I ended up buying a Felt on the way home:)

Had they any small there

Not too sure, i think they only had a medium size frame on display. You could always ring them to make sure before you head down.

• Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭big mce

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭bog_savage

They have been open every time I called. Even during lunch. Are you sure you were at the right place. They moved to Monksland a couple of months ago. Not easy find out there. Not doing themselves any favours with location or signage. Once you do find them though they are very helpful

• Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭Fathead

Anyone have any luck yet in getting one of these. They are so bad at contact whether its phone, email and Facebook. I've now a fully processed order with the BTW and no sign of a bike or even confimation they can get the bike i ordered. Very frustrating

I could be wrong but I thought the lad in the shop said they wouldn't be ready until mid September. Did they give you any rough timeline in the shop?

• Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭Carlosthejakal

Fathead, for 1299 only matt black is available. Also they will charge you €100 extra if using a BTW voucher . I was told it would be second or third week in september befire they are ready

• Registered Users Posts: 2,972 ✭✭✭Plastik

I can't understand how this crew are still in business. Their customer service is appalling. There are constant threads popping up here about the inability to make contact with them. And this isn't a new phenomenon, it was the same in mid 2011 when I bought a bike through them. After the torture of that process I resolved never to darken their door again, any future purchasing to be done through the UK site.

No doubt someone will be along shortly with a suggestion to contact X on whatever number. You shouldn't have to. Don't give people the ability to contact you by email or Facebook or whatever if you're not going to respond through that medium. You create an expectation and people naturally, and fairly, get very annoyed when ignored.

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭hueylewis

Yeah, bit of a shame. Planning to buy a new bike and this would be a cheaper alternative to the aluminium bike from Rose I'm looking at, but after hearing so much about their customer service I'm just not interested in bothering with them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Grassey

"Plastik wrote: »
    I can't understand how this crew are still in business. Their customer service is appalling. There are constant threads popping up here about the inability to make contact with them. And this isn't a new phenomenon, it was the same in mid 2011 when I bought a bike through them. After the torture of that process I resolved never to darken their door again, any future purchasing to be done through the UK site.

No doubt someone will be along shortly with a suggestion to contact X on whatever number. You shouldn't have to. Don't give people the ability to contact you by email or Facebook or whatever if you're not going to respond through that medium. You create an expectation and people naturally, and fairly, get very annoyed when ignored.

I'd disagree. I've never had any problems contacting the shop. Always been able to get them on phone within a few rings or reply to email within a day.

I thought their customer service was much better than some of the larger dublin shops (still waiting 16 months for cyclesuperstore to reply to my emails and return my phone messages...) which is why I got my bike with them last year, and even calling in unannounced to them I've never found the place randomly closed, and the lads have been more than happy to look my bike over and have a quick look/tweak. The lads know their stuff and are good craic and helpful. I honestly can't say the same about any dublin based shop I've called into.

Because they were so great to deal with ended up getting my girlfriends bike there too a few months back, the lads were always happy to answer her questions over the phone, and help her out in shop after purchase replacing the stem and trying another size after she convinced herself shed bought too small a frame.

It's much easier and more likely for someone to start a thread criticising somewhere than to start one singing it's praises.

Also re: €100 for the Btw scheme I think that's only if your company goes through the bike2work cowboys (or similar) who charge that to process the scheme.

Advertisement