Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mountain bike event in Waterford

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Knobbly Tyres

Awesome! A fantastically muddy time of year too. Looking forward to it

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭no1murray

Looking forward to it already. Hardest race I done last year

Looking forward to it already. Hardest race I done last year

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭PerrDub

Can I use my hybrid for this?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭ford2600

PerrDub wrote: »
    Can I use my hybrid for this?

I wouldn't. Wrong tool for job.

Hardtail perfect for it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,093 ✭✭✭Bikerbhoy

Sherpamick wrote: »
    After last years successful mountain bike event, the Nire Valley drop will take place in and around Ballymacarbry, Co. Waterford on Sunday 27th October. Our Facebook site is nirevalleydrop

Gis a brief course description please is the 40 one big loop or 2 x 20 ?

Bikerbhoy wrote: »
    Gis a brief course description please is the 40 one big loop or 2 x 20 ?

http://app.strava.com/segments/2747945
    Reckon it'll be something similar to this, couple of extra sections for longer course and with large chunk cut off for 20km course.

Not as technical as racing 795 sportive if you did that

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭studiorat

Any details of price, sign on, CI membership etc. for the event yet?

Is it an actual race or a big barrel down the mountain?

• Registered Users Posts: 31 Sherpamick

Bikerboy it is a 40km course with a point where you turn off for the 20km. At the moment the 20km will not be the first 10km and last 10km of the 40km course we are planning that the 20km will have some unique features just for the 20km.
    Sherpamick

Studiorat, we have a Facebook page Nire Valley Drop where we will be giving out the details of the event. Sign on is in the Community Center In Ballymacarbry, Co Waterford.

• Advertisement

Sherpamick wrote: »
    Bikerboy it is a 40km course with a point where you turn off for the 20km. At the moment the 20km will not be the first 10km and last 10km of the 40km course we are planning that the 20km will have some unique features just for the 20km.
    Sherpamick

Cool what kinda numbers had you last year ? Also is the much technical as I am ****e at the sketchy stuff . .

Bikerbhoy wrote: »
    Cool what kinda numbers had you last year ? Also is the much technical as I am ****e at the sketchy stuff . .

Last year, firstly I took us 9 weeks to get a licence from Coillte, that left us 10 days to advertise the event, it was run on 10th November and we had 92 riders, nearly all from the Sout-east of Ireland, and they loved it, it was tough, muddy fun and there was soup, sandwiches and showers when they got back.
    I am not well up on the technical side, as I am doing the PR for the guys ( I am a walker), but i believe it is a good challenge. I will get back to you on the technical bit. But you do need a proper mountain bike.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭C3PO

no1murray wrote: »
    Hardest race I done last year

Not a race as far as I know?

C3PO wrote: »
    Not a race as far as I know?

It is not a race, insurance wont allow a race. But it will challenge you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 734 ✭✭✭Tom_Cruise

Would you need a fairly high spec MTB for this? I have a mountain bike that does me well on the local trails but most people entering this probably have real expensive bikes and i don't want to make a fool of myself.

Tom_Cruise wrote: »
    Would you need a fairly high spec MTB for this? I have a mountain bike that does me well on the local trails but most people entering this probably have real expensive bikes and i don't want to make a fool of myself.

Not at all. Just turn up, entry level hardtail will get you around.

As Ford 2600 said hardtail will do, the longer 40km route would need disc brakes.
    Come and enjoy the event.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,338 ✭✭✭easygoing39

@ Tom C,whats the bike got to do with it,its the rider that provides the forward movement?? If youre fit,and it sounds like you are,then just do the event!!

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Knobbly Tyres

@ Tom C,whats the bike got to do with it,its the rider that provides the forward movement?? If youre fit,and it sounds like you are,then just do the event!!

depending on how technical the terrain is, you may be carrying your bike back to the car as cheaper frames and components won't be up to the task! I do agree to a certain extent though, you don't need a 2 grand monster to do events like this. Any entry level hardtail should be just fine. I just wouldn't chance it on a €100 special outta Halfords if you know what I mean

• Closed Accounts Posts: 734 ✭✭✭Tom_Cruise

Its a Giant Boulder, not sure how good it is or the price as i got it second hand. It has front suspension and rides fine. I knows its not an expensive bike but i cant really afford anything else to be honest. A helmet is next on the shopping list!

Id love to give it ago it looks like it'll be a great day.

• Advertisement

Its a Giant Boulder, not sure how good it is or the price as i got it second hand. It has front suspension and rides fine. I knows its not an expensive bike but i cant really afford anything else to be honest. A helmet is next on the shopping list!

Id love to give it ago it looks like it'll be a great day.

Giant Boulder will do the 20km course, if it has disc brakes then the 40km will be fine. This has up hill sections as well it is not a bus them to the top of the hill and free wheel down. Your bike will fit in, enjoy it.

Oh! do bring the helmet.:)

Great buzz in the Southeast for the Nire Valley Drop Mountain Biking event on Sunday 27th October, based out of Ballymacarbry in the Nire Valley Co Waterford. Facebook nirevalleydrop for more info.

Was joking about it being a race. But you know how its is some people just want to go hard. Going up tomorrow to give it a run through. Its a great event. Can only see it getting bigger every year. So come and give it a go before even more people discover this great event in a spectacular part of the country.

Thank you no1murray.

Looking forward to this myself guess I will do the 40 k .... bring it on. Hope there will be good support and a big turnout for this,great to see this type of event not enough of these events for mountainbikers....

Looking forward to meeting you.
    Sherpamick

• Registered Users Posts: 2,527 ✭✭✭Vizzy

Did this today. What a blast !!
    Great organisation, great marshalling and loads of support along the way. Lovely grub afterwards(soup sandwiches, tea & buns-lots of buns !!) and showers and a bike wash. What more could you ask ?
    Parts of it were seriously tough and a lot of the downhills were very muddy so it was hard to know how deep holes were etc but it was a great "give it a go" sort of day.
    Bring on 2014.

Vizzy wrote: »
    Did this today. What a blast !!
    Great organisation, great marshalling and loads of support along the way. Lovely grub afterwards(soup sandwiches, tea & buns-lots of buns !!) and showers and a bike wash. What more could you ask ?
    Parts of it were seriously tough and a lot of the downhills were very muddy so it was hard to know how deep holes were etc but it was a great "give it a go" sort of day.
    Bring on 2014.

Here here excellant event excellant course great people well done all involved

Thanks Vizzy, some great photos on Facebook nirevalleydrop.
    Sherpamick

• Advertisement
Advertisement