Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kingfisher

Options
  • 09-08-2013 6:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭

Not the bird. New show that's on nat geo on Mondays at 8
    I recorded them and I am just watching them now.
    Basically its 3 anglers from Different parts of the world compete to be best angler. Each angler holds a competition in their homeland for a certain species. The species picked is highest points but points are awarded for other species but not as much points awarded.
    Pretty good show and lately its the irish and Brits that are winning every show.
    Well worth a watch seen as there is feck all fishing shows on anymore.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 900 ✭✭✭danbrosnan

and Mr Eugene Farrelly from fenit here in kerry makes an appearance...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭dodderangler

danbrosnan wrote: »
    and Mr Eugene Farrelly from fenit here in kerry makes an appearance...

Was he the lad fishing for bass on the beach? He won it

• Registered Users Posts: 900 ✭✭✭danbrosnan

Thats him...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,340 ✭✭✭.red.

Was he the lad fishing for bass on the beach? He won it
    Yep. He was the guy who changed the rules and cheated according to the swedish git. If id been there id have smacked him around the place with his little toy fishing rods. Easily the most annoying lad on the show yet.

Great to see eugene win it. He showed off ireland kn a good way and who knows, might have created some well needed angling tourism for kerry.

My only gripe about the show is the fishing has generally been very poor. Some of it is down to the weather which cant be helped but it seems like they are fishing areas at the wrong time of the year which is unfair on the local angler. The episode from norway saw them fishing for cod that were no bigger than what can be caught off the east cork beaches in winter.

• Registered Users Posts: 557 ✭✭✭whelzer

Is this available online? Sounds good.

Does anyone remember the show where 2 guys "survived on what they caught, they would get points for numbers and weight of fish caught - a fair chunk was filmed over here. It must have been 10 years ago. The fishing was pretty crap but it was a great show, there was a posh English fella who wore a kilt and a builder type dude. Both were sound out..I always got the feeling the builder wanted to throttle the other chap!

Good point up above though - there is a complete lack of fishing shows on TV which is surprising since we often hear how fishing is the most popular past time both here and UK. Discovery Real Time used to be great Paul Youngs show was fantastic, Matt Hays etc were ok......

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

whelzer wrote: »
    Is this available online? Sounds good.

Does anyone remember the show where 2 guys "survived on what they caught, they would get points for numbers and weight of fish caught - a fair chunk was filmed over here. It must have been 10 years ago. The fishing was pretty crap but it was a great show, there was a posh English fella who wore a kilt and a builder type dude. Both were sound out..I always got the feeling the builder wanted to throttle the other chap!

Good point up above though - there is a complete lack of fishing shows on TV which is surprising since we often hear how fishing is the most popular past time both here and UK. Discovery Real Time used to be great Paul Youngs show was fantastic, Matt Hays etc were ok......

That was a good show....they had to make up all sort of seafood and fish broths to survive.
    If you catch it you eat it,regardless of what it is.:pac::D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

Theres a new channel called Discovery "Shed".

It has motoring,DIY and also Fishing/Angling programmes on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭Fecky the Ninth

I don't like the format of the show, reminds me of Come Dine With Me.

• Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭catastrophy

paddy147 wrote: »
    Theres a new channel called Discovery "Shed".

It has motoring,DIY and also Fishing/Angling programmes on it.

That's been about for quite a while now Paddy. 242 on sky.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 1,334 Mod ✭✭✭✭croo

whelzer wrote: »
    Does anyone remember the show where 2 guys "survived on what they caught...
    Reel Wars was its name. I've searched on-line for it but all I ever found was other people searching for it.

I enjoyed it too - it was more like my experience fishing than the usual shows... lucky to catch anything and then it's usually not of any size worth talking about :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,105 ✭✭✭beano345

croo wrote: »
    Reel Wars was its name. I've searched on-line for it but all I ever found was other people searching for it.

I enjoyed it too - it was more like my experience fishing than the usual shows... lucky to catch anything and then it's usually not of any size worth talking about :)

that was a great fishing program,was never mad on john wilsons programs much preferred henry gilby at least you got a laugh out of him!

beano345 wrote: »
    that was a great fishing program,was never mad on john wilsons programs much preferred henry gilby at least you got a laugh out of him!

All Wilson did was laugh. :)
    I hated matt Hayes but I'd watch mick brown. He's more into predator fishing.
    Really good on pike

All Wilson did was laugh. :)
    I hated matt Hayes but I'd watch mick brown. He's more into predator fishing.
    Really good on pike

everytime he hooked a fish he laughed like a school girl! henry gilbey has a new series for tight lines bass fishing in ireland think it airs this friday on sky.

everytime he hooked a fish he laughed like a school girl! henry gilbey has a new series for tight lines bass fishing in ireland think it airs this friday on sky.

Don't like the gilbey fella. He's up his own arse.
    Paul young was great.
    Always had great advice for lads fly fishing.

Don't like the gilbey fella. He's up his own arse.
    Paul young was great.
    Always had great advice for lads fly fishing.

was he the scottish fella? he was good alright used to have very shakey hands if you ever noticed!

• Registered Users Posts: 557 ✭✭✭whelzer

was he the scottish fella? he was good alright used to have very shakey hands if you ever noticed!

Paul Young is great - most of the shows are on YouTube, the ones in South America are fantastic and yes I also noticed the hand thing.

Advertisement