Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best tide for mackerel/pollock

Options
  • 09-08-2013 6:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭

Lads might seem like a stupid question but I'm just wondering which tide do you think is best? I'm new to the game so haven't a clue. Went out yesterday morning for the high tide. Met 2 old boys who were on their way home and they told me that you need to be out before dawn to catch fish on the morning high tide. Was going to try off the rocks tomorrow between low and high water.

Jim

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭realrebel

Jimy1971 wrote: »
    Lads might seem like a stupid question but I'm just wondering which tide do you think is best? I'm new to the game so haven't a clue. Went out yesterday morning for the high tide. Met 2 old boys who were on their way home and they told me that you need to be out before dawn to catch fish on the morning high tide. Was going to try off the rocks tomorrow between low and high water.

Jim

I suppose how deep it is but I don't think it matters at all for pollock, in fact I caught all my bigger pollock at low tide
    The mackerel might be a different story though might only fish on high tides

• Registered Users Posts: 1,308 ✭✭✭downonthefarm

in my experience the incoming tide brings the mackerel in
    good luck!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭redzerologhlen

Pollock fishing seem to die off at high and low water and is usually at its best at dawn and dusk and its worst in very bright sunlight. High tide around dusk is the best time for mackeral around here even though I know some deeper spots where you will pick them up at low tide but the walk is a lot longer!!

Advertisement