Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

bass on the fly

Options
  • 08-08-2013 8:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 259 ✭✭

Seen a video on youtube of lads fly fishing for bass, this looks like some serious sport, Was thinking of trying for a bass over the weekend , any tips or places worth a try? From louth to wicklow? Going to use my trout gear, will get some flies in anglers world tomorrow, very excited but only getting information from the Internet,
    any advice? i would be very great full thanks.
    Brian.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭stylie

Brianmeath wrote: »
    Seen a video on youtube of lads fly fishing for bass, this looks like some serious sport, Was thinking of trying for a bass over the weekend , any tips or places worth a try? From louth to wicklow? Going to use my trout gear, will get some flies in anglers world tomorrow, very excited but only getting information from the Internet,
    any advice? i would be very great full thanks.
    Brian.

If your trout gear consists of an 8wt rod and line you will be fine. Also the salt will have to be washed off the rod and reel when your home. Find a spot where you get sand,rocks, weeds and channels and nice tide pulling through and fish it for as long as you can to see when the Bass are there. Some marks fish on a low tide, some on a full, others half way between so you will have to put some hours in to figure out your mark. That side a high tide after sunrise or sunset and you rarely go wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 557 ✭✭✭whelzer

As above - salt water will kill your gear in ways you can't imagine.

Soak everything in the bath after use use a shower head to rinse every nook and cranny. Okuma Airframe reels are great for SWFF as they are cheap, tough and "saltwater" proof. I use a 7wt weight rod which I overline with a 8 or 9 wt lines. Normall trout gear eg 3-6wt just won't cut the mustard in the ocean!

Bass are great on the fly as are mullet*, mackeral & pollack. All can be targetted in our waters if you try. Its all about leg work - putting in the time to find likely spots.

* I've yet to actualy land a mullet on the fly - have hooked a few but they threw the hook. Pound for pound they probably fight better than bass.
    I've also caught cod and coalfish on the fly but not in Ireland - some scrap there!

• Registered Users Posts: 259 ✭✭Brianmeath

No bass landed but got connected to a good enough fish for 30 or so seconds, mite have been a mullet and then lost it, tuck the line to the backing, I was very disapointed to say the least all is not lost there will be a next time, finished with a few small trout on a small stream beside the house, cant wait to back out on the sea

Advertisement