Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Irish Basketball

Options
13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 824 ✭✭✭Kinet1c

In the last two years the U16 and U18 international programmes have been restored

My understanding is that the kids have to pay to play on the teams. I'm not sure any of the other top sports in the country (soccer, rugby, GAA, boxing) would make a national representative pay to play for their national team. This needs to change and quick. Had I been told years ago that I'd have to pay to play for my national team, I'd not have bothered attending the inter regionals where they used to select the team.

The nationwide registration scheme does nothing for the clubs except make them demand more money from their players.

The debt may be reducing but they're hurting the players and clubs along the way.

• Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

Kinet1c wrote: »
    My understanding is that the kids have to pay to play on the teams. I'm not sure any of the other top sports in the country (soccer, rugby, GAA, boxing) would make a national representative pay to play for their national team. This needs to change and quick. Had I been told years ago that I'd have to pay to play for my national team, I'd not have bothered attending the inter regionals where they used to select the team.

The nationwide registration scheme does nothing for the clubs except make them demand more money from their players.

The debt may be reducing but they're hurting the players and clubs along the way.

You had to pay in my day!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,343 ✭✭✭buyer95

Kinet1c wrote: »

I've posted about this extensively in the past, yeah the players have to pay, and the amount they have to pay squeezes out an awful lot of our young players who simply cannot afford to pay the crazy amounts.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,724 ✭✭✭mixery

100% correct guys. It is quite expensive even to just play in the league. For a student it was 300€ for registration, plus additional costs like gear/travelling. None of the other sports are nearly as expensive.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,785 ✭✭✭killwill

It is the same in all "minority" sports in Ireland though.
    I know of badminton players representing Ireland having to pay for flights and accomodation to go to championships. Its ridiculous.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,148 ✭✭✭PizzamanIRL

Not related to the thread topic but I didn't want to post in the NBA thread.

I'm sure some of you saw this already but here's the amazing college Division 1 Final half-court winning shot by IT Carlow's Jimmy Ward the other day

https://youtu.be/CrM-hWl9qoA?t=1h29m45s

Advertisement