Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Flies for the Tolka

Options
  • 23-07-2013 9:30am
    Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭

Starting Fly Fishing and could do with some advice on flies for the tolka at this time of year wet and dry. Also any set up advice would be greatly appreciated. Trying to catch my first fly caught trout.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 730 ✭✭✭thefisherbuy

i never fished on the tolka here's some tips. if you're a starter don't buy loads of flies, Ask fisherman don't be shy!,ask your local tackle dealer he will tell ya.
    brown trout feed a lot on nymphs as well if you see some trout rising go for drys it really depends on the day. maybe there taking nymphs just off the surface. so really ask your tackle dealer ask for fly suggestions best spots etc
    Hope you have luck
    Tight lines :D

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭Bromium

Thanks for the advice I haven't gone mad with flies just picking up a few that were recommended. Only issue now is learning how to cast properly my technique is pretty poor but hopefully that will improve with practice.

• Registered Users Posts: 730 ✭✭✭thefisherbuy

Maybe ask the tackle dealer for a Casting constructure he might know, but if i was you i wouldn't starter on a river i'd go to a rainbow trout fishery (there great for starters) ill give you link
    http://www.fishinginireland.info/trout/putandtake.htm it shows all the trout fisherys around the country there mite be on close to you! i started out on a river it was very had getting the casting right etc but were i live there's no trout fisheries at all... good luck
    tight lines

• Registered Users Posts: 784 ✭✭✭fiacha

Howdy,

I live in Ashtown and I'd be happy to meet you on the river some day to help you out.

I actually haven't been out at all this summer, and my casting is basic at best but I had a good season on it last year.

Drop me a PM if you want to meet up.

A.

• Registered Users Posts: 557 ✭✭✭whelzer

fiacha wrote: »
    Howdy,

I live in Ashtown and I'd be happy to meet you on the river some day to help you out.

I actually haven't been out at all this summer, and my casting is basic at best but I had a good season on it last year.

A.
    lads im just off the navan road
    near the garda station. I fish all over the country (never fished the tolka!) and would be a pretty good fly angler. I will be without a car for 2 weeks in August so happy to meet up along the river to wet a line. It is a good excuse to get the bike out. What's the craic in joining the club?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 681 ✭✭✭gumbo1

whelzer wrote: »
    What's the craic in joining the club?

Does the boards angling forum have a club?

I'm living in finglas and have fished the tolka 2-3 times, to no success, and would be very interested in fishing with a few other people to get to know the river a bit better??

gumbo1 wrote: »
    Does the boards angling forum have a club?

I'm living in finglas and have fished the tolka 2-3 times, to no success, and would be very interested in fishing with a few other people to get to know the river a bit better??

I meant the Tolka Anglers club - Rorys probably sell tickets but id like to know the details. ..

• Registered Users Posts: 681 ✭✭✭gumbo1

From what I belive, it's free to fish the tolka. In most parts, there are certain areas that ars reserved for club members though.

fiacha wrote: »
    Howdy,

A.

Hey cheers for that will definitely take you up on that offer at some stage I'm just back from a quick session on the Tolka and delighted to report I caught my first trout on the fly. I have no idea what the fly was but its was the closest I had to what I saw dropping on the water (wasn't even the right colour). Saw a few fish rising but quite a few of them were inaccessible from the bank so maybe waders might be a good idea. Would love to pick up a few flies like what I saw in the morning and get a quick session in before work at three but I don't think anywhere near Glasnevin does flies. If anyone knows of a place would be great.

gumbo1 wrote: »
    From what I belive, it's free to fish the tolka. In most parts, there are certain areas that ars reserved for club members though.

I'm pretty sure the whole of the Tolka is permit only or so I was lead to believe. 25 euro for the year in anglers paradise.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭Mr Bumble

keep an eye out for sea trout on the next flood...and put them back if you do meet one....

Mr Bumble wrote: »
    keep an eye out for sea trout on the next flood...and put them back if you do meet one....

Didn't realise there were sea trout on the tolka and everything I catch is released. Any idea of flies for sea trout Mr Bumble ?

Bromium wrote: »
    Didn't realise there were sea trout on the tolka and everything I catch is released. Any idea of flies for sea trout Mr Bumble ?

As far as sea trout are concerned I was always an olden but golden person ie, Teal Blue and Silver, Peter Ross, Black Pennel, Silver/Gold Butcher, Alexandra, Black/Blue Zulu etc... but.. in Mayo 3 weeks ago I was catching sea trout after sea trout on small cdc dries and small DHEs. This was both from a river and lough. I've never had this before and it could have just been the conditions on those days. The above flies would see you grand for sea trout on any Irish river (Teal Blue and Silver being the first fly I'd normally tie on!) Also see PM.

• Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭Mr Bumble

they've found sea trout up as far as Dunboyne and some fish for them near the tide in ballybough....salmon too but less said about that the better....flies for river sea trout are as above but as you can see from the link below, there are many variations.
    Depends on when you're fishing for them. Hard to catch tho not impossible in daylight...small flies as mentioned above. There's a lad I've seen on the forum somewhere who fishes streamers and seems to fill his boots on a regular basis down in Waterford......At night, you can use pretty big flies with trailing hooks (mostly in Wales but I've seen all sorts here).....if you're fishing well into the night, use a muddler or sedgehog on the surface...they love that....dries will catch sea trout on Currane and I've no doubt in other places..... small emergers are good but only in certain conditions which probably vary from river to river, lough to lough. I've had them on Currane late and in calm weather....they're often the only thing left to try. This may sound dumb but you'll know it when you see it. Experiment.
    This link gives decent basic information http://www.first-nature.com/flyfish/st-intro.php and this one shos the range of flies used
    https://www.google.ie/search?q=flies+for+sea+trout&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=IPENUrH7CKnA7Ab36oBY&ved=0CHAQsAQ&biw=1440&bih=781

I have yet to catch a trout on a wet fly or nymph ( a good few since I started a few weeks ago on drys) mainly due to the fact I have no idea how to fish wets or nymphs so I think any chance of sea trout may be out of the spectrum this season but hopefully by next season I will have a better idea of what I'm doing. Thanks for the advice on flies btw.

Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭Flysfisher

Bromium wrote: »
    I have yet to catch a trout on a wet fly or nymph ( a good few since I started a few weeks ago on drys) mainly due to the fact I have no idea how to fish wets or nymphs so I think any chance of sea trout may be out of the spectrum this season but hopefully by next season I will have a better idea of what I'm doing. Thanks for the advice on flies btw.

Cheers

In many instances its actually easier to fish dries than the nymph.

Just an update on this from my experience limited as it may be at this stage size 16 and 18 black gnat has been the most successful for me by a long way so far.

Advertisement