Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kells blackwater closed

Options
  • 21-07-2013 8:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 374 ✭✭

Drove over this today and there was a sign at kells saying it was closed yesterday and today?
    Anyone know what's going on?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

World junior fly championships start this week. It has been advertised for months. Blackwater Fane plus lakes north and south of the border.

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭Flysfisher

fisherking wrote: »
    Drove over this today and there was a sign at kells saying it was closed yesterday and today?
    Anyone know what's going on?

Think their practising for their competitions. When in fact these competitions probably should be suspended given the very low water levels and high water temps and the stress this can cause to fish.
    But I suppose some willy waving anglers care more about competing with each other rather than the welfare of the fish. Sad to say the least.

• Registered Users Posts: 374 ✭✭fisherking

Thanks for that

Competitions.....
    What a load.....

Flysfisher wrote: »
    Think their practising for their competitions. When in fact these competitions probably should be suspended given the very low water levels and high water temps and the stress this can cause to fish.
    But I suppose some willy waving anglers care more about competing with each other rather than the welfare of the fish. Sad to say the least.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,270 ✭✭✭tin79

You could say the same about all anglers to some degree though. If we didnt want to pose any risk to the fish we would leave them alone. In all fishing you can never be 100% sure that no damage is being done. Of couse there are degrees to that but you cannot be 100% sure.

Having said that though I do fully agree with you on what you said. I have seen too many smolt and small trout driting down belly up after competitions in these conditions.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 14 recalled

They are also fishing the Fane and the water levels there are very poor, with fish under stress as it is.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,338 ✭✭✭.red.

To be fair this comp would have been organised well in advance maybe even 12 months ago or more. The anglers will have gone to huge expense to qualify and travel over so not a lot can be done other than fish it.
    The irish team that fished the interpros in wales a few weeks ago found themselves in a similar situation. Very high temps and clear skys made for poor beach fishing. One irish lad who did very well in his zones had an 18cm wrasse as his biggest fish over the few days.
    After travel arrangements, time off work and accommodation was organised there was nothing they could do. It would have been too
    expensive to the individuals involved to cancel.

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭Flysfisher

.red. wrote: »
    To be fair this comp would have been organised well in advance maybe even 12 months ago or more. The anglers will have gone to huge expense to qualify and travel over so not a lot can be done other than fish it.
    The irish team that fished the interpros in wales a few weeks ago found themselves in a similar situation. Very high temps and clear skys made for poor beach fishing. One irish lad who did very well in his zones had an 18cm wrasse as his biggest fish over the few days.
    After travel arrangements, time off work and accommodation was organised there was nothing they could do. It would have been too
    expensive to the individuals involved to cancel.

I have to say I am not in agreement. The welfare of our rivers and the fish, insects and animals who live in them must be the most important factor above all others without any exception. It's not about the so called competitors its about our, yes our, rivers our wildlife and its protection especially in times of need such as these.
    It's not about human self indulgent behaviour.

Is it any wonder our rivers are the way they are the way we look after them?

Advertisement