Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Receiving UK stations in the Republic

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭dpat1l

whitebriar wrote: »
    The theory is right,have analog,will have high power digital,unless there's co channel.

We moved into this house 9 years ago and could receive stations from NI... I don't know where from (we just poked and moved the aerial in the attic 'til we got a picture) but we had UTV and Channel 4 and then the Irish stations RTÉ One, Two and TV3... never could get TG4. At this stage, I don't even know if it's relevant... I just thought it might be :) I'll give Divis a try this evening and see what happens, just out of curiosity

Oh! One last quick question: What exactly is the difference between H Pol. and V Pol... I mean, I know physically how to move the aerial, and know that it is specified for each transmitter to stop crossover, but what is the actual difference in the way that it is transmitted?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,285 ✭✭✭Peter Rhea

dpat1l wrote: »
    We moved into this house 9 years ago and could receive stations from NI...

'Receive' as in something of sufficient quality that you would actually want to sit down & watch?
    . . . what is the actual difference in the way that it is transmitted?

Just the orientation of the transmitting aerial's elements, same as your receiving aerial.

Peter Rhea wrote: »
    'Receive' as in something of sufficient quality that you would actually want to sit down & watch?

Yep! Only reason I know is that You've Been Framed used to be on UTV when my sister was younger, and that was before we had had Sky...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,745 ✭✭✭whitebriar

Interesting.
    Lets see what you see if anything of Divis.

Keep a careful note of where your aerial is pointed now if you need to return it there.

You know how to point you aerial horizontally polarized?

Rods flat as opposed to upright .

• Advertisement

Yeah, i know how to horizontally polarize it... I did have to check last week to make sure, but I know the difference...

I'm not holding up much hope for Divis, since Cooley is a bit in the way :/ Kilkeel was just far enough east to avoid them. But it's worth a try, it won't cause any harm to try!

Yep! Only reason I know is that You've Been Framed used to be on UTV when my sister was younger, and that was before we had had Sky...

So you got the BBC 1,2, UTV & Channel 4, along with RTE & TV3? That's all you got presumably?

Well, I'm not really sure... We didn't use it for long since we got Sky after that...If you think it's any use, tvtrade has a K Group aerial for €9.99.... I think K would be better because that way I can try both Divis and Kilkeel?

Don't suppose you remember if there was ever an outdoor aerial like one of these on the house?

I'd stick with the aerial you have for 'investigative' purposes. Only get a better one if you think there is something there worth working with.

In the beginning we got the Irish stations on a pair of rabbits ears stuck in a NE facing window, then we used an old grid type just sitting in the attic and then we got watchable UK stations.... Then we got Sky and forgot about the whole thing, but now we're trying to get it in 2 bedrooms with the aerial in the photos :) ... Hmmm, there's a disused aerial like the one you posted on the grandmothers house... Might be of use? Would it be more of a benefit that a K group contract aerial? Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,476 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

Don't suppose you remember if there was ever an outdoor aerial like one of these on the house?
    Hmmm, there's a disused aerial like the one you posted on the grandmothers house... Might be of use? Would it be more of a benefit that a K group contract aerial?

No, it's an MMDS aerial for UPC's subscription "wireless cable" service . It's of no use for Saorview/Freeview reception - different frequency range.

Thanks! So, go ahead with the K contract aerial? Either way, it's going to be cheaper that a FTA decoder

I wouldn't bother with any kind of 10-element contract aerial. It won't do any better than what you have.

Going (much) higher isn't an option though :/ I don't know what else to do bar get a dish, and I was trying to avoid that to the best of my ability

• Registered Users Posts: 15,476 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

Going (much) higher isn't an option though :/

Is a chimney install possible?

Doubt I'd be allowed "put a show on the roof" haha :) I'll have a look tomorrow and see where might be better

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,351 ✭✭✭Ronnie Raygun

There's a Tullyallen near Mellifont Abbey. Saorview checker recommends looking south too: Three Rock or Kippure rather than Clermont.

It might be enlightening for the OP to check their exact location (drag the marker) on the Saorview map & see which transmitter is recommended.

then we used an old grid type just sitting in the attic and then we got watchable UK stations....

There's a house near me where, a couple of years back, I could get a 'watchable' BBC 2 analogue picture from Brougher Mtn. with a small outdoor aerial sitting on an upstairs window sill. (Only BBC 2 was good enough to watch, no matter where I put the aerial.) Teletext was unusable though, which didn't bode well for future digital reception so, out of curiosity I checked back after DSO, & the same tv didn't register even a hint of a signal on the same UHF channel.

Could get a weak signal in the attic, but not usable. This was only a bit of messing around on my part though & not a serious attempt at providing useful tv reception.

It might be enlightening for the OP to check their exact location (drag the marker) on the Saorview map & see which transmitter is recommended.

Saorview is fine as far as I'm concerned... I've never had a problem receiving it from the North... even just after DSO, it was getting perfect signal from Clermont, and that was without us trying to point it the right way!

It's just the Freeview that is the problem...

I just thought maybe the Saorview checker could be used as a kind of rough proxy for Freeview. It would be a good sign if they recommend Clermont Carn for your location, in preference to Three Rock or Kippure.

• Advertisement

There's a house near me where, a couple of years back, I could get a 'watchable' BBC 2 analogue picture from Brougher Mtn.
    ..... I checked back after DSO, & the same tv didn't register even a hint of a signal on the same UHF channel.

Don't forget that Kilkeel has a generous output for Freeview, while Brougher PSBs follow the typical 20% of analogue/7dB down. Kilkeel analogue 500 watts, Freeview is 400 watts. So not really a like-for-like.

Don't forget that Kilkeel has a generous output for Freeview

True, presumably to fend off the kind of interference the OP here has already got a taste of (BBC Wales et al).

Okay, on a last ditch effort (can't get ITVs from Kilkeel, and too much obstuctions), I checked Google Earth, and I have a pretty flat unobstructed line to Brougher Mountain... UK Free TV says it's 20,000W as compared to Kilkeel's 400.... Is that a good thing for me? Or a lost cause and I should cut my losses and get Sat? I'm roughly 110km from the transmitter... Thanks!

think I;ll just buy a dish.....

The Sky dish must have succumbed to the 'rust beetle'?

The Sky dish must have succumbed to the 'rust beetle'?

Bit of a DIY job.... Worked grand for a while... It might just be a new LNB that's needed :) If I'm honest though, the Saorview box is the only in the house with a PVR, so I'd rather get it working more than satellite :)

As mentioned earlier in the thread, using that aerial & mounting, you haven't a hope of getting reliable Freeview in that part of the country, unless you are on high ground with a clear view north.

The Tullyallen I see near Drogheda on the map doesn't have 'a pretty flat unobstructed line to Brougher Mountain'.

Ahh I don't live in the little village, just outside it (Hill of Rath)... It's not too bad of a line according to the elevation marking on Google Earth, and I tried a ruler line with the height of the transmitter and ran it straight to where the house is, and there was only the one mark where it lost for a little bit (maybe a field or there about). I was thinking about an aerial like this Red Group and an indoor booster ?

No point bothering with a 10-element contract aerial, grouped or not.

Any recommendations? :)

• Advertisement

If you don't register a signal using the aerial you already have, I would say there is nothing there worth working with. 'Working with' could mean buying a better aerial or getting a pro installation.

Advertisement