Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Today I did something to my car (volume 2)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭Gavman84

Well not myself but got car serviced front pads changed and new wipers! Must also get new front tyres later and tracking done! Should be good for while then

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,042 ✭✭✭Bpmull

Was up early this morning and got a good bit done.
    Firstly replaced pollen/cabin filter. Didnt take to long but was fidely due to tight space had to remove glove box door and insert, fuse bracket and then i could access the filter in the passenger footwell. Filter was bad enough was original but only due a change now anyway.

image_zps70e4ab12.jpg

next I moved on to easy job of replacing the rear wiper. Unfortunately the previous owner bought the wrong type wiper and bent all the clips so when I put in the right type wiper it wouldnt click right. Was able to bend the clips back and stick a piece of cable tie behind them to keep them out and now it clicks and fits right. still a good bit of hardship just to change a wiper.

image_zps238b0452.jpg

Then cleaned my own car inside and out

image_zpsd30f2da7.jpg

Then cleaned both my parents cars.
    3d439a31-a5d1-4098-a3c2-4a096e21a4b1_zps35394b96.jpg

78cb465d-aa53-4f22-a1c1-27ed59318763_zps2f7aa01f.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭HungryJoey

Saturday service time!
    Octy VRS
    IMG_0023_zps8aaeaa41.jpg
    IMG_0027_zps6a866c26.jpg
    IMG_0029_zps85b2c35c.jpg

These last two are :o
    IMG_0035_zpsa32300b0.jpg
    IMG_0037_zps3559feda.jpg
    IMG_00091_zps1978655e.jpg

Anndd... 4 New coilpacks.
    Car has never ran better.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Kopparberg Strawberry and Lime

today i washed it for the first time ever.

shiny........

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,985 ✭✭✭✭dgt

The stuff you see in this game..... :pac:

I've been relatively quiet this past while, not been very well and quite busy in the background ;)

I decided today if I could swap a 98 airbag ecu into an 01 156 for my seats as a potentially lazy option. Not do-able without rewiring the entire system and I can't be arsed doing that, resistors and soldering for me :)

It's behind all this. No biggie
    Image1004.jpg

Centre console has to come out
    Image1005.jpg

And the rest. Just a few screws and a careful bit of manoeuvring!
    Image1006.jpg

So I could see the phone kit (blue box) but what's this where my ecu is....
    Image1007.jpg

I thought it was a long lost packet of M&M's, how wrong I was!
    Image1008.jpg

That's what's in place of my airbag ecu!!!!!!!
    Image1009.jpg

What use is that when I'm smashing my face off the steering wheel??!!!! :rolleyes:

Moving onto the crock jamming up my yard. Boot release inside was broke and key broke in the boot...
    Image1010.jpg

This took 3 seconds
    Image1011.jpg

And another 3 seconds. Fastest breaking into a boot for me!
    Image1012.jpg

Lastly for now, I raided it for some bits for the 01 car :)
    Image1013.jpg

All I can say is I'm still seeing it as I go along.....!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,590 ✭✭✭tossy

bazery wrote: »
    I enjoy super bright lights, plus the car auto levels so you never blind anyone.

All cars with xenons auto level, to answer your question most D2s bulbs are 35w,to change the light output on xenons you have to change the K rating - Higher K the bluer the light (the less light output,and more chavy looking) the lower the K the more Yellow the light and the greater the light output. OEM Bulbs are general 4300k which is perfect IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 635 ✭✭✭BillJ

So, I bought a set of mv1's a few months back for cheap with the idea to do a DIY wheel refurb. I picked them up and planned to do one wheel and see how it went, if I was happy I would continue with the rest.

okzCD1ul.jpg?1

Firstly I had to clean them, a big job in itself.

Before:
    mzA1GTgl.jpg
    After:
    sFzTQv6l.jpg

I did this x 5 (spare wheel included), I used turtle ice wheel cleaner, tar cleanse and iron cleanse and plenty elbow grease.

I took the tyre off of one, picked up some supplies and got to sanding

1kmyjpHl.jpg

So many nooks and crannies, doing one nearly drove me mad

DI3LaeVl.jpg

I sanded the wheel fully with 240 grit then 400. I was then sick of it so left it for about a month and a half, also just didn't have the time.

So I came back to it last weekend and went over it again with 600 grit.

Used some filler where there were chips and all around the rim where the curbing was bad. I used isopon metalik filler, it's brilliant stuff.

An example of how bad the curbing is on all wheels:
    1YRzapMl.jpg

Some filler sanded down early on in the process, top centre of the wheel filled only:
    5J1V5dul.jpg

After a cleaning and drying I used some hafords filler primer on the outside of the wheel:
    40FLRcvl.jpg
    8tZKPXLl.jpg

I sanded using 800 grit after the first and third coats, maybe no need to sand after the first coat, might save time.

In hindsight I should have sanded to 1000 or maybe 1200 grit after final primer coat.

Etch primer to help prevent corrosion was used on the inside
    fQiW84Gl.jpg.
    Sanded to 600 grit after final coat.

Used a hairdryer to speed up drying time.

I then went on to the colour coat. I used Ford Moondust silver as recommended by a user on here as it is a close match to BMW OEM paint. I couldn't find Wurth paint which is supposed to be the best or possibly original colour.

I only gave it one coat and ran out of paint and time, it will need another two coats of colour. No sanding between these coats.

I will then give it about 3 coats of lacquer and dry it with heat to harden it.

Here it is after one coat of colour.

It's far from perfect I know but it's a standard i'm happy with myself. Few imperfections here and there as you can see.

pKooYHll.jpg
    rRkekywl.jpg
    grpRirnl.jpg
    2Sb0tnsl.jpg
    dkaean5l.jpg

About 8 hours went into this wheel so far but I reckon that will drop as I'll be smarter about the next three. I'm going to continue on and will update with pics once I've this one finished. Let's hope it's not a lifetime before I get them all done!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,480 ✭✭✭YbFocus

Fantastic work man! That really is a turn around!
    And the quality is perfect, anyone that says otherwise is silly :)

Cheers, ya i'm happy with it, I could have done it quicker but it would have turned out a lot worse. Lots of people said dont do it, and i completely see where they're coming from, it's tough work! But seeing (close to) the final product has convinced me to stick with it. :)

I have a set of e36 wheels out in the shed I haven't got around to finishing either for the exact same reasons! It's hell so it is :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,985 ✭✭✭✭dgt

YbFocus wrote: »
    I have a set of e36 wheels out in the shed I haven't got around to finishing either for the exact same reasons! It's hell so it is :)

The spare set of BBS wheels for my E34 need a refurb, bit tired looking in places! Thankfully not chipped though just need a good clean :)

Some of the Style 33s I have might need a refurb though :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭Killinator

BillJ wrote: »
    Cheers, ya i'm happy with it, I could have done it quicker but it would have turned out a lot worse. Lots of people said dont do it, and i completely see where they're coming from, it's tough work! But seeing (close to) the final product has convinced me to stick with it. :)

That's a fantastic job!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,792 ✭✭✭Ded_Zebra

billJ fair play to ya looks like a really really good job. It's pure hell painting wheels, I think I would do anything else over doing it. Hence why I have been driving around on 2 unpainted wheels for the last 5 weeks :rolleyes: I'm going to try and get them done this weekend because I could do without the comments at the meet :p

Ded_Zebra wrote: »
    billJ fair play to ya looks like a really really good job. It's pure hell painting wheels, I think I would do anything else over doing it. Hence why I have been driving around on 2 unpainted wheels for the last 5 weeks :rolleyes: I'm going to try and get them done this weekend because I could do without the comments at the meet :p

Leave them because the wheels on the e60 are in bits and I'm not doing mine :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,792 ✭✭✭Ded_Zebra

YbFocus wrote: »
    Leave them because the wheels on the e60 are in bits and I'm not doing mine :)

Well my front 2 are done and the tears have had the old paint striped off them so it looks really shockin!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 817 ✭✭✭iano.p

Sold the car today. New owner asked me to change the plugs before he took it will miss it. Next job a new car

• Moderators Posts: 12,371 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

dgt's photography skills have vastly improved. Barely a blurred image in sight! Did someone buy him a camera?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,876 ✭✭✭Scortho

dgt's photography skills have vastly improved. Barely a blurred image in sight! Did someone buy him a camera?

I think he found how to focus using an iPhone.

Those wheels look deadly. Hard to justify the time, when powdercoating isn't too expensive.

Scortho wrote: »
    I think he found how to focus using an iPhone.

Those wheels look deadly. Hard to justify the time, when powdercoating isn't too expensive.

Funds were tightish so the idea was to do it as cheap as possible, I got quoted 400 for 4 so I will be saving a good bit, about 250-300 saving doing it myself. Plus it's kind of enjoyable seeing it come together.

I get what you mean though, it's a long process, if powdercoating is an option then go for it!

Funds were tightish so the idea was to do it as cheap as possible, I got quoted 400 for 4 so I will be saving a good bit, about 250-300 saving doing it myself. Plus it's kind of enjoyable seeing it come together.

I get what you mean though, it's a long process, if powdercoating is an option then go for it!

Did you follow a "how-to" or any guide? Ive a spare wheel on mine, so I guess I have the option of rotating my wheels while I work on 1 at a time. 1 wheel is pretty well curbed (not by my mind you), and maybe 1 or 2 others need some loving. Should make a difference when I come to selling them, and everytime I see a set a wheels I want, 1 is always curbed badly.

"Look at these lovely wheels for sale at a decent price. 1 badly curbed, 1 with a few marks on it, 2 good tyres (meaning rock hard eco tyres I dont want) and 2 50% Dunlops. Theres €300 right there thats needed on them. /rant

• Advertisement

Did you follow a "how-to" or any guide? Ive a spare wheel on mine, so I guess I have the option of rotating my wheels while I work on 1 at a time. 1 wheel is pretty well curbed (not by my mind you), and maybe 1 or 2 others need some loving. Should make a difference when I come to selling them, and everytime I see a set a wheels I want, 1 is always curbed badly.

"Look at these lovely wheels for sale at a decent price. 1 badly curbed, 1 with a few marks on it, 2 good tyres (meaning rock hard eco tyres I dont want) and 2 50% Dunlops. Theres €300 right there thats needed on them. /rant

I just looked up several DIY guides on here and other forums and compiled a list of steps for myself to follow. What kind of wheels do you have and what size?

I can put up a list of the steps I followed if your interested.

I just looked up several DIY guides on here and other forums and compiled a list of steps for myself to follow. What kind of wheels do you have and what size?

I can put up a list of the steps I followed if your interested.

These. 17s. I wanna get 18" interlagos at some stage.
    DSC_0003.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 11,866 ✭✭✭✭MuppetCheck

Interlagos would set off the CC really well, one of the nicest OEM wheels imo.

I'd say they would be ok to do, plenty flat surfaces would make the sanding quicker.

Quick step by step guide:

1. Wash and dry wheel.
    2. Sand entire wheel with 240 grit and then again with 600 grit. I think 600 is high enough before primer.
    3. Wash and dry thoroughly after sanding.
    4. Apply filler to curbing and chips where necessary, isopon metal filler is good. Sand down filler.
    5. Wash and dry thoroughly.
    4. Primer the wheel, I used filler primer, your wheels look in good condition so normal primer might be ok. If sanding to bare metal I would use etch primer, it helps prevent corrosion. 3 coats of primer should be good.

*(tip is to put aerosol cans in hot water for 10 minutes before use, builds up pressure in the can and it works better apperently)

5. Sand after final coat of primer once fully dry, use 800 and then 1200. Higher if you want. wash and dry after sanding.

6. Apply 3 coats of colour. If using metallic paint don't sand between coats or after last coat.

7 Apply lacquer, again 3 coats minimum I would think. Dry using a heat lamp of hairdryer to bake and strengthen the top coat. As for sanding I think it's ok to sand with very fine grade, maybe 2000 grit, but I haven't got that far so i'd have to recheck those steps again.

those interlagos alloys are nice, 18 inch would make a nice improvement to the car too

• Registered Users Posts: 9,590 ✭✭✭tossy

Interlargos have been ruined by reps and the 'felters,so much choice out there in 5x112 do something original.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,854 ✭✭✭✭MetzgerMeister

Anyone else think that the Passat CC with the GTi engine would be a good idea?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,193 ✭✭✭Cleveland Hot Pocket

OSI wrote: »
    You can get it with the Mk6 GTI engine, and even with a 3.6L 4Motion with 300bhp. Just not in Ireland :mad:

Now that would be an engine worthy of that car

tossy wrote: »
    Interlargos have been ruined by reps and the 'felters,so much choice out there in 5x112 do something original.
    Ruined how? By 2002 passats and A4s driving with them? I wouldnt see that as ruining interlagos. A guy at work had BBS's on his RX8. BBSs were quite nice, but were hideous on the RX8. Ive a similar opinion on Interlagos that are on anything but Sciroccos and CCs.

Or do you mean that reps in general are crap?
    Ichisaq wrote: »
    Now that would be an engine worthy of that car

Ive no complaints about my 2.0Ltr TDI 140bhp as yet. And a remap (if I ever choose to) would see it nearing the 170bhp mark.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,193 ✭✭✭Cleveland Hot Pocket

Ive no complaints about my 2.0Ltr TDI 140bhp as yet. And a remap (if I ever choose to) would see it nearing the 170bhp mark.
    Ah yes it is fine (probably even bordering on the "quite fast") mark, but the body and styling look like it should have a bigger engine under the hood.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,389 ✭✭✭VeVeX

HungryJoey wrote: »
    Saturday service time!
    Octy VRS
    IMG_0029_zps85b2c35c.jpg

You should have stayed with the NGK BKR7E. They work better than Bosch in the 1.8T and are a range cooler than stock which is ideal for a remapped engine.

Advertisement