Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Road tyre question

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,614 ✭✭✭BadCharlie

What gets very good reviews is the continental grand prix 4000s. Have them my self and find them good so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,208 ✭✭✭shamrock55

This question might sound daft but how do yo know your tyres are worn? Ive had my bike a couple of years now and they are the tyres that came with it i prob have about 3000kms on them ive never a had a puncture yet they are kendra kritarium 700x25

• Registered Users Posts: 691 ✭✭✭Briando

I'm not on Michelins myself, but Michelin unique selling point on there Michelin Service Course is that they are relatively puncture proof, roll well and have great grip in the wet.

I'll be changing from GP 4000s to either those Michelins or the GP 4 Seasons for my winter training for more puncture protection.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,952 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

shamrock55 wrote: »
    This question might sound daft but how do yo know your tyres are worn? Ive had my bike a couple of years now and they are the tyres that came with it i prob have about 3000kms on them ive never a had a puncture yet they are kendra kritarium 700x25
    Generally most people change when they begin to give trouble puncture wise, or when they suffer damage such as large cuts which may make them prone to failure. It's quite difficult to wear out a tyre in the normal sense as they are normally changed due to damage particularly when doing a lot of night riding. If they aren't giving you any trouble I'd continue to use them but inspect them regularly for damage and remove shards of glass, flint etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,164 ✭✭✭✭ED E

ED E wrote: »
    Foolishly kept with the old ones after I stopped using the luas again. Another puncture so I immediately went into cycleways. They didnt have the Gator Hardshells so one of their downstairs lads suggested the Armadillos. Supposedly much better? Only replaced the rear for now as thats the one thats got the last like 6 punctures straight so seems safe to assume the front is fine.

Anyone used them, decent?

BAD F'CKING ASSUMPTION!

Got into work fine. As soon as I left, PSSSSSH, chunk of glass in my front tyre. F'ck. Gonna get a second armadillo. If that fails, I'll have to sell the bike and get a MTB to commute on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 691 ✭✭✭Briando

Every week I go over my tyres and dig out the little lumps of glass. You need to have some good light and squeeze every crack and hole in the tyre and check them.

Especially if you are cycling on cycle lanes, those are covered in glass.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,952 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

ED E wrote: »
    BAD F'CKING ASSUMPTION!

Got into work fine. As soon as I left, PSSSSSH, chunk of glass in my front tyre. F'ck. Gonna get a second armadillo. If that fails, I'll have to sell the bike and get a MTB to commute on.
    Are you keeping the pressure right?

• Registered Users Posts: 36,164 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Are you keeping the pressure right?

~110Psi on both.

Advertisement