Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Worming for trout?

Options
  • 15-06-2013 1:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭

Hi guys,
    The past few days the water has been too coloured in my river to fly fish :( I have never caught a trout on the worm before! :o so how do you guys go about this method?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 47 fishook

snoopytoop wrote: »
    Hi guys,
    The past few days the water has been too coloured in my river to fly fish :( I have never caught a trout on the worm before! :o so how do you guys go about this method?

I dont like worm fishing, but a few i go fishing with say you need to get abigfresh juicy worm. a small skinny is no good.

a bit of weight on the line about 2 feet from the worm, make sure the fishook is well covered with the worm

• Registered Users Posts: 557 ✭✭✭whelzer

Go fly fishing anyway - use a lure, something like a size 10 bead head wooly bugger. If they will take a worm, you think they would refuse such an offering? In my experience given high and coloured water the large trout in the river will be less wary and in often in odd locations, eg normally shallow runs.

• Registered Users Posts: 47 fishook

thing bout worrm fishing isyou have togo to a slow movingpart of the river, bit deep. usually hook bigger ones on the worm. i get a load of sprats and all they doing is recking my flies.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭trouttrout

fishook wrote: »
    I dont like worm fishing, but a few i go fishing with say you need to get abigfresh juicy worm. a small skinny is no good.

a bit of weight on the line about 2 feet from the worm, make sure the fishook is well covered with the worm
    fishook wrote: »
    thing bout worrm fishing isyou have togo to a slow movingpart of the river, bit deep. usually hook bigger ones on the worm. i get a load of sprats and all they doing is recking my flies.

Think you need to invest in a new spacebar !

• Registered Users Posts: 49 darraghman64

Hey man i caught plenty on worm :)
    Use a size 8 or 6 wormholder hooks but depends on size of worm..place just two pieces of led ssg's if u hav them but put them a good bit away from hook..use a big worm if u can or use 2-3 small ones....then cast into a deep pool in the river nd tighten up the slacked line until it gets tight and wait and watch the tip of ur rod at all times

hope this helps :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,340 ✭✭✭.red.

Ive never fished for trout but enquired about it in my local tackle shop a while ba k as theres a river near my house.
    He said to just ledger a worm with a few small split shots above the hook. He reckoned i should only use 1 worm cos if i used 2 or more a bailif would probably consider it salmon fishing.

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭snoopytoop

Thanks for the help! Using a wooly bugger also seems interesting :D

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭He Who Dares Wins

I would definately give it a shot with worms. I caught my biggest trout of 5lb 5oz from the barrow on a worm. Dont use them slobs that come out at night for them tho they are very soft. Under bins and slabs in the garden usually holds nice blackheads which tend to be rock solid.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,105 ✭✭✭beano345

I would definately give it a shot with worms. I caught my biggest trout of 5lb 5oz from the barrow on a worm. Dont use them slobs that come out at night for them tho they are very soft. Under bins and slabs in the garden usually holds nice blackheads which tend to be rock solid.

what part of the barrow? ive been told there is trout in it but have never caught anything apart from perch,eel,dace and roach! there is a side river that runs into the barrow full of trout though

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭Bromium

beano345 wrote: »
    what part of the barrow? ive been told there is trout in it but have never caught anything apart from perch,eel,dace and roach! there is a side river that runs into the barrow full of trout though

Is that the river burren you are thinking of a tributary to the barrow was a great trout stream from what I remember.

• Advertisement

Bromium wrote: »
    Is that the river burren you are thinking of a tributary to the barrow was a great trout stream from what I remember.

the very one, ive seen small trout in groups in the shallow water but rarely anything bigger,locals say it was once great for trout fishing but different factors have them in decline.

• Registered Users Posts: 730 ✭✭✭thefisherbuy

My River is colored too but i gave it a go with a Midge of some sort dry fly and BAM got a nice 2b trout!!!
    released....
    No pics sorry!

beano345 wrote: »

The Burrin is my local river which has been hammered out of it, a lot of the deeper areas of the barrow always hold decent trout. Im not going to name locations publicly on this. Pm me maybe.

The Burrin is my local river which has been hammered out of it, a lot of the deeper areas of the barrow always hold decent trout. Im not going to name locations publicly on this. Pm me maybe.

i kinda had a feeling every young lad in the area seems to fish it,ive only fished it once but might take a stroll up further some day and have a go

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭Bromium

I think that they used to stock this stream with brownies I am just wondering if this is still the case and it was definitely a club water but I think less than 20 quid and you could fish the Burren, the Lerr and the Greese.

Bromium wrote: »
    I think that they used to stock this stream with brownies I am just wondering if this is still the case and it was definitely a club water but I think less than 20 quid and you could fish the Burren, the Lerr and the Greese.

Yes, it is The Barrow Anglers Club. The river Burrin is ruined tho, there is dace in it now and up around the bus park collects that much rubbish that it could pass for a dump at times.

Advertisement