Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Golf exciting sport or like watching paint dry?

Options
  • 14-06-2013 6:31pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭

Just listening to Matt Cooper on Today FM and a participant on his programme decribed a golfer as a very 'exciting' player. Now, whatever your opinions on golf are, describing a golfer or indeed golf as exciting is stretching things in my opinion. A great intercept try with the player running the length of the pitch closely pursued; ROG scoring a drop goal to win a game after 40 phases of possession; a footballer scoring a superb goal or the winning goal in a penalty shoot-out; a horse coming from far behind to win the National - could all be described as exciting. However, watching grown, sometimes elderly men, leisurely hacking a ball around a course - into the rough or sand bunkers - can hardly be described as exciting. Skillful yes, profitable for many but exciting..:D

Golf a good walk spoiled by a game? 26 votes

Love golf and can't watch enough of it.
    0% 0 votes
    Would prefer to watch paint dry or wash the cat.
    100% 26 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭**Vai**

Just listening to Matt Cooper on Today FM and a participant on his programme decribed a golfer as a very 'exciting' player. Now, whatever your opinions on golf are, describing a golfer or indeed golf as exciting is stretching things in my opinion. A great intercept try with the player running the length of the pitch closely pursued; ROG scoring a drop goal to win a game after 40 phases of possession; a footballer scoring a superb goal or the winning goal in a penalty shoot-out; a horse coming from far behind to win the National - could all be described as exciting. However, watching grown, sometimes elderly men, leisurely hacking a ball around a course - into the rough or sand bunkers - can hardly be described as exciting. Skillful yes, profitable for many but exciting..:D

Last day of the last Ryder Cup was pretty exciting. Not a big golf fan myself but it was exciting!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

Happy Gilmore was the only exciting player I can think of.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,390 ✭✭✭IM0

exciting means up and coming . back to sport101 for you

and IBTL

• Registered Users Posts: 22,275 ✭✭✭✭endacl

I suppose if you're into golf and like watching it, an exciting game would be exciting. If not, meh.

Meh for me.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,402 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

I'd rather watch cricket.

I ****ing hate cricket

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,523 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

It's completely subjective. Many people dislike the sports you referenced but are avid fans of competitive hopscotch. My interests are more in line with yours, but that doesn't mean hopscotch isn't a great sport with it's own merits. In fact, I've seen many moments in competitive hopscotch that are positively orgasmic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,752 ✭✭✭pablomakaveli

To me golf is one of those sports that's more fun to play than it is to watch.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,275 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Very very marginally...

;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

It's completely subjective. Many people dislike the sports you referenced but are avid fans of competitive hopscotch. My interests are more in line with yours, but that doesn't mean hopscotch isn't a great sport with it's own merits. In fact, I've seen many moments in competitive hopscotch that are positively orgasmic.

I'm having difficulty conjuring up a picture of this. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,336 ✭✭✭wendell borton

If there is a playoff it can be quite tense otherwise it's washing the cat.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭marketty

Golf: a good walk ruined

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭bgrizzley

i washed a cat once...

• Registered Users Posts: 835 ✭✭✭kingcobra

If you didn't think last years Ryder Cup or Masters was exciting then you're obviously very tough to please!

Golf is more exciting to play than watch for me. Sometimes a golf tournament can be as a boring as shite, but then again so can any football or rugby match

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

kingcobra wrote: »
    If you didn't think last years Ryder Cup or Masters was exciting then you're obviously very tough to please!

Golf is more exciting to play than watch for me. Sometimes a golf tournament can be as a boring as shite, but then again so can any football or rugby match

I have to agree that it's probably more exciting to play than watch - that wouldn't be hard - but my experience is limited to a couple of pitch 'n' putt games in Bray many years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

bgrizzley wrote: »
    i washed a cat once...

Nothing quite like a wet pussy.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,589 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

For the neutral it could be deemed meh but for anyone who has played there is no way you would describe it as anything less than exciting.
    Further, I think you have to have played to realise just how good the pro's are.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

There should be an offshoot.. incorporate the golf buggies and golf clubs together, in a kind of jousting duel, except instead of a horse, there's a buggy, and instead of a spear, there's a golf club. One person drives, the other swings.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

It depends on how things are going for you, it's a very frustrating game at times, you have to have the head for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,733 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

Different strokes for different folks.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,206 ✭✭✭fatherted1969

Like mostly all sports save for cricket and horse racing but as a tv spectacle nothing comes remotely close to singles day on Ryder Cup Sunday.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,733 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

Like mostly all sports save for cricket and horse racing but as a tv spectacle nothing comes remotely close to singles day on Ryder Cup Sunday.
    Its the only major sporting occasion that I can think of that has to be watched on telly to get full enjoyment.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,051 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

It's a good walk ruined.

Then again you get to look at rich white dudes dressing up like pimps from a Blaxploitation film.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,051 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

There are three sports.

Fishing, shooting and hunting.

All the rest are mere games.

• Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭rab!dmonkey

When I watch golf, the thing I'm most impressed by is the ability of the cameramen to follow a tiny white ball tracking across a bright sky at high speed.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,156 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

Washing the dishes requires more athleticism. And it's more exciting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

I like golf.

I hate golfers though. If following a ball around all day isn't bad enough, they then have to give you a full in depth analysis of every shot they played when they are finished.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,635 ✭✭✭Pumpkinseeds

My Dad takes his golf very seriously. The rest of the family are bored rigid by it. He tried to get my brother to learn to play when we were teenagers but he'd no interest, so he deigned to try to recruit me. I went once and I think I'd rather gnaw off my own foot than play golf.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,047 ✭✭✭demakinz

I love golf i watch it most weekends, love playing it also. I find it an exciting sport but can see how some people can hate it. There are some sports i can't stand for example horse racing or motor sport and would get bored fairly easy if i had to sit and watch it.
    Me and the missus are heading to the Irish open in a few weeks looking forward to it a lot.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,399 ✭✭✭cml387

I agree profoundly with the OP.
    The best player is determined by a number with a $ sign in front.
    Not much Corinthian spirit there, I say.
    Plus,the most successful players are by and large pretty unpleasant people.
    And the names... Bubba Watson??

• Advertisement
Advertisement