Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stop throwing litter on the beaches!!!

Options
  • 12-06-2013 5:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,803 ✭✭✭

I was on Rosses point in Sligo at the weekend. Gorgeous weather. Beautiful beach but at the end of the day walking back I was shocked at the amount of litter left behind. Crisp bags, beer cans even bottles.

WTF people bring a plastic bag and clean up your rubbish. Absolutely filthy!!!

I cleaned up other peoples rubbish that was around where I had set camp... Put me in real bad form.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

There's no point posting here, the type of people that do that are too lazy (or stupid) to read full sentences.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Its illegal to camp on a public beach

• Registered Users Posts: 2,463 ✭✭✭loveisdivine

Stop throwing litter anywhere! Its disgusting, lazy and suggests that you are a complete tw*t!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,045 ✭✭✭✭gramar

Stop throwing litter on the beaches!!!

Could I add to that by saying; stop throwing litter anywhere.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭S28382

Yes the ignorant fools that visit the beach and dont give a sh*t about the other people using it.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,402 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

Why stop with the beaches?

People are filthy everywhere. It's actually disgusting the way some people think they can just throw their stuff on the ground and someone will pick up after them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,970 ✭✭✭Lenin Skynard

Fair play to you for picking it up OP.

Littering is shameful, no different to letting your dog **** on the street which is no different to ****ting on the street yourself. I remember when I was growing up in the '80s there was litter everywhere, the place was a miserable sight.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 358 ✭✭Weevil

I think our litter problem sums up what is wrong with this country. A minority of lazy, selfish b**tards ruining what should be a great country for the rest of us.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,390 ✭✭✭IM0

Nimrod 7 wrote: »
    Why stop with the beaches?

People are filthy everywhere. It's actually disgusting the way some people think they can just throw their stuff on the ground and someone will pick up after them.

its funny in paris people are actually encouraged to throw litter in the gutters as they are swept and washed out every morning without fail

People litter because of their 'Why shouldnt i do it' attitude and their supposed entitlement to not having to be responsible for keeping something looking nice because it isnt theirs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,417 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

The whole country is like a tip.If you drive everywhere you don't see it so much but if you walk or cycle you'll notice the absolute state of the place.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 666 ✭✭✭A0

Heard of the garbage patch?

kneemos wrote: »
    The whole country is like a tip.If you drive everywhere you don't see it so much but if you walk or cycle you'll notice the absolute state of the place.

I wouldnt say that the whole country is like that there is plenty of places and communities that take pride in their town and they have them looking great but it does take a big effort from everyone which for the most part doesnt always happen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,390 ✭✭✭IM0

you mean the bitches?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 666 ✭✭✭A0

Weevil wrote: »
    I think our litter problem sums up what is wrong with this country. A minority of lazy, selfish b**tards ruining what should be a great country for the rest of us.

Right but not only Ireland...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,782 ✭✭✭KungPao

The council must have been working hard on the clean up after the hot spell...so much crap thrown around by gobshiites.

And today I saw a guy smoking beside a bin with an astray built in on top, while waiting for a bus. He finishes his smoke and just drops the butt on the ground. :confused:

Idiots.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

You should see Sandycove and the forty foot at the end of a hot day. Beer cans, cigarette packets, even dirty nappies.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,407 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

Got a piece of smashed beer bottle through the bottom of my foot when I was a child. It was covered by sand and some of it got forced up into the cut. I'd like to say it taught me the value of not throwing things all over the place but I was already putting things in the bin by then like anyone else as it was expected of me.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,782 ✭✭✭KungPao

You should see Sandycove and the forty foot at the end of a hot day. Beer cans, cigarette packets, even dirty nappies.

I saw a nappy in Bray over the weekend. Nicely taped up and placed carefully on a step.

I don't get it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,568 ✭✭✭Chinasea

http://voiceireland.org/general-news/urge-minister-hogan-to-adopt-a-depositrefund-system-for-bottles-and-cans/

There is a simple solution. Refunds for cans, plastic & glass bottles.

Deposit/Refund Systems:

In the Netherlands, the government charges a 25c deposit on all plastic bottles which has resulted in a 95% return. In Sweden, they have an 84% return for their bottles and Finland boasts a 92% return for plastic bottles as a result of their deposit/refund system.

Attached in the link is template letter to Minister Hogan asking him to bring it about.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,448 ✭✭✭crockholm

Chinasea wrote: »
    http://voiceireland.org/general-news/urge-minister-hogan-to-adopt-a-depositrefund-system-for-bottles-and-cans/

There is a simple solution. Refunds for cans, plastic & glass bottles.

Deposit/Refund Systems:

In the Netherlands, the government charges a 25c deposit on all plastic bottles which has resulted in a 95% return. In Sweden, they have an 84% return for their bottles and Finland boasts a 92% return for plastic bottles as a result of their deposit/refund system.

Attached in the link is template letter to Minister Hogan asking him to bring it about.

It works a treat here with returns, you have an extra 11 cents added on to your can/plastic bottle which is later redeemed,it also accounts for the "gentlemen of the road" being quite industrious,in that they will often go through rubbish bins for said treasure,something our own native tramps could well learn from.

Advertisement