Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Handlebar Level Can Affect Sexual Health of Female Cyclists

Options
  • 11-06-2013 6:06pm
    Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,061 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Just a public service announcement.

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2012/07/120709121626.htm
    "Modifying bicycle set-up may help prevent genital nerve damage in female cyclists," Guess notes. "Chronic insult to the genital nerves from increased saddle pressures could potentially result in sexual dysfunction."

"There are a myriad of factors affecting women's sexual function. If women can minimize pressure application to the genital tissues merely by repositioning their handlebars higher, to increase sitting upright, and thereby maximize pressure application to the woman's sit bones, then they are one step closer to maintaining their very important sexual health," explained Irwin Goldstein, editor-in-chief of The Journal of Sexual Medicine.

If we get helmet laws should we also have laws to cover handlebars too ?
    Should we ban high heels ?
    Where will it end ?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

In the old days a woman bike tended to be of the sit up and beg variety (stop sniggering at the back) they still exist but are probably not considered sexy these days.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,390 ✭✭✭IM0

what are the chances of two posters over 40,000 coming after one another like that :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,059 ✭✭✭WilyCoyote

IM0 wrote: »
    what are the chances of two posters over 40,000 coming after one another like that :eek:

What can I say? They must have vibrators in their saddles or stitched into the gussets :D

correlation =\= causation

• Registered Users Posts: 16,156 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

Should we ban high heels ?

I thought high heels were good for women's sexual health?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭Remmy

IM0 wrote: »
    correlation =\= causation

Get your fancy science outta here this is serious.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭martinedwards

tilting the saddle downwards at the front might do the same..

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

I'll volunteer to put my hand on the saddle as they sit down to make sure they don't exert too much pressure down there:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 13,407 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

I suffer from chronic insults to my genitals.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,793 ✭✭✭Sir Osis of Liver.

Real ladies ride sidesaddle.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭corkgsxr

Real women take off the saddle

best username Ive seen for a long time :D

tilting the saddle downwards at the front might do the same..

but why let that scupper a horse**** piece of 'research' :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭FizzleSticks

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭gobnaitolunacy

mike65 wrote: »
    In the old days a woman bike tended to be of the sit up and beg variety (stop sniggering at the back) they still exist but are probably not considered sexy these days.

They weren't very strong structurally either, tended to wobble a lot without a crossbar.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,061 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

mike65 wrote: »
    not to you maybe

Advertisement