Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bank Employee Naps On Keyboard, Accidentally Transfers Millions

Options
  • 11-06-2013 9:45am
    Registered Users Posts: 757 ✭✭✭

An obviously tired German bank employee fell asleep on his keyboard and accidentally transformed a minor transfer into a 222 million euro ($293 million) order, a court heard Monday.
    The Hessen labour court heard that the man was supposed to transfer just 62.40 euros from a bank account belonging to a retiree, but instead "fell asleep for an instant, while pushing onto the number 2 key on the keyboard" -- making it a huge 222,222,222.22 euro order.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/06/10/bank-employee-naps-transfers-millions_n_3417123.html?utm_hp_ref=business

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,163 ✭✭✭✭danniemcq

makes a change from the millions of things usually transfered over keyboards....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,518 ✭✭✭stefan idiot jones

I'll PM him my bank details.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,943 ✭✭✭smcgiff

Think we can update heading to EX BANK EMPLOYEE

• Registered Users Posts: 9,959 ✭✭✭Degag

It must have been a very short sleep. It literally takes a second to enter 11 two's in a row while pressing down on a key...

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

Degag wrote: »
    It must have been a very short sleep. It literally takes a second to enter 11 two's in a row while pressing down on a key...

Hmmm, maybe banking software should block that. It's a very easy thing to do, even when awake. You don't need to hold a key pressed too long for it to happen.

The only thing is, wouldn't he have realised when he submitted the transfer? Or did he hit enter in his sleep too? :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭Big Knox

I find it very hard to believe that a Bank wouldn't have some kind of extra authorisation or security in place that kicks in once you go over a certain amount for transfers.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,163 ✭✭✭✭danniemcq

smcgiff wrote: »
    Think we can update heading to EX BANK EMPLOYEE

nope he is still employed,

The guy who approved the transaction was fired (but got his job back after going to court i believe)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,390 ✭✭✭IM0

{whisper} this didnt really happen {/whisper}

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,390 ✭✭✭IM0

snooze ye lose............or er gain

Advertisement