Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Transport to Slane Castle from North Co. Dublin?

Options
  • 10-06-2013 8:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17

(Sorry if this has been posted before, I searched and couldn't find anything recent/relevant to this specific situation)

Hi all! My friend and I have got some temp work at Slane for Bon Jovi this weekend; Saturday-Monday.

The problem is, I don't know how I'll get there. It'll be long enough hours, possibly late. The concert buses are out, because I expect we won't be start and finishing as the concert itself does, and that does us nothing for Saturday-Monday.

We're both 18, and don't drive.

So, question time. Is there any viable method of public transport that can get us to Slane Castle from either Lusk or Raheny, in Dublin?
    (Btw Taxis are a no-no, we're on minimum wage)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,965 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

Try the 32 or 33 from Busaras but God knows about getting home; cadge a lift may be the best bet.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,243 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Cheaper if you buy in advance.

http://www.dublinbus.ie/en/News-Centre/General-News/Bon-Jovi-at-Slane-Castle-15th-June-2013/
    Bon Jovi at Slane Castle, 15th June 2013
    Friday, May 24, 2013

Dublin Bus will operate a shuttle service to the Bon Jovi concert at Slane Castle on Saturday 15th June. Buses will depart from Parnell Square West from 12 noon until 5pm and return to Dublin directly after the event.

Tickets are now on sale and are limited in supply. Customers are advised to book now to ensure their seat on the day.

A discounted price of €20.00 is available for tickets purchased in advance.

Tickets purchased on the day of the concert will cost €25.00

Tickets are currently available:
    - online from ticketmaster* at www.ticketmaster.ie
    - at all ticketmaster* stores
    - Dublin Bus, 59 Upper O’Connell Street
    - The Sound Cellar, Nassau Street.

*A service charge may apply when purchased from Ticketmaster

Customers can also get updates on Facebook, follow us on Twitter @dublinbusnews or call our customer service line on (01) 8734222, lines open from 08:30 - 18:00hrs (Monday to Saturday excluding bank holidays).

• Registered Users Posts: 17,542 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

Victor, the OP has already said that the concert buses are not an option.

Losty - Bus Eireann routes 32 or 33 no longer serve Slane at all.

OP - there are no other public transport services that would suit you for getting home that late other than the concert buses.

The only bus services on a normal day through Slane are:

Bus Eireann Route 188 from Drogheda to Trim:
    http://www.buseireann.ie/pdf/1284376007-188.pdf

Collins Coaches service from Dublin to Carrickmacross:
    http://www.collinscoaches.ie/images/Timetable011012.pdf

Information on Collins Service is here: http://www.collinscoaches.ie/index.php/dublin-commuter-service

• Registered Users Posts: 12,965 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

lxflyer wrote: »
    Losty - Bus Eireann routes 32 or 33 no longer serve Slane at all.

Apologies; had them in my head from an ex work colleague who lived there years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,664 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

To be honest, and I know this sounds harsh but.., you probably should have checked out how you'd get there and back before you accepted the job.

Anyway...... Any of your friends going OP that might be willing to hang on and give you a lift back? Anyone live nearby that you could stay with for the few nights? Maybe a B&B or something?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,309 ✭✭✭dowlingm

considering the unsocial hours and the location you'd think the employer would arrange transport but it's the land of Jobbridge now where it's not whether you're screwed, just how much.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭Peppa Pig

Why don't you just bring a tent? Pretend it's Oxegen.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,323 ✭✭✭JustAThought

Peppa Pig wrote: »
    Why don't you just bring a tent? Pretend it's Oxegen.

+ 1 to that!

From Raheny to SLANE? Are you mad!!!!

Try asking your employer -they might know of a pick-up for staff or have a camper or something. But you have to factor in the traffic home & early start too -it'll be hard working on no sleep!!!
    Have you considered renting a camper & driving & using " staff" parking?
    Probably be cheaper not to work tbh.

Maybe someone can give you a lift? -parents -and book a room to share & stay in locally? Still better option that commuting : (

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

Folks, the OP is 18 and doesn't drive. Hiring cars/vans/campers is not an option for him.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,664 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

To be honest given the circumstances and the distance/time involved, unless the OP or his mate knows someone locally they could stay with for a few nights or can afford a B&B, or unless a family member or friend can give them a lift, his best option is to call and apologise but explain they can't take the job because of the logistics.

Moral of the story: ALWAYS check out the commute before you apply for or accept a job.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17 Akiviri

Oh wow, thanks for all the replies guys!

A B&B for the night in the area costs almost as much as I'd make in a full day.

I'm going to have to call the employer and explain the situation, as Kaiser said.

Thanks everyone for the help, regardless! I really appreciate it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 764 ✭✭✭buttercups88

hey what time you need to be there at? I live in Rush and will be travelling to Navan on Sat, could drop you there if you want & there'll be buses going from fairly early out to slane (roads closed to general traffic)

• Registered Users Posts: 6 jamesyboy19

hi, do you know which roads exactly will be closed? i am trying to find out the best place to collect someone after the gig? does anyone know?

best place would be navan its as close you'll be able to get to slane id say. There'll be loads of buses going to navan from right outside the castle to navan

• Registered Users Posts: 6 jamesyboy19

thanks a million!is there a specific exit they should take from the venue to get busses to navan?

nope buses everywhere can't miss them :) but when you come out of castle walk to left in direction of navan till they find a bus (they might have to walk a while )

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Akiviri

Buttercups - that is an extremely generous offer, but to the job is for 3 nights, not just the night of the concert :/ Thank you very much though!

Thanks again, everyone. Unfortunately I won't be able to do this one, but the employer said they'll let me know if anything else comes up over the summer (not in Slane) so I'll have my fingers crossed!!

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Marka1986

Whats up, I'm doing the same work for that week and ive to travel from Dublin,
    I'm gonna be working security down there,
    I was gonna get somewhere to stay down there for the week,
    do you and your friend wanna do the same? Be cheaper for us??
    I can get in contact with you if you want, i'm not some weirdo or anything haha, just don't fancy travelling from Dublin to Slane everyday!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,509 ✭✭✭bennyl10

anyone here ahve any odea hwo much the 188 from slane to drogheda is?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,542 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

Service 188
    4.70 : Adult Single
    4.40 : Student Single
    3.00 : Child Single
    7.10 : Adult Day Rtn
    4.50 : Child Day Rtn
    8.20 : Adult Rtn
    7.50 : Student Rtn
    5.00 : Child Return
    33.50 : Adult 10 Jny
    30.00 : Student 10 Jny
    21.00 : Child 10 Jny

Use the fare finder on the Bus Eireann website:
    http://www.busfare.co.uk/eireann.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭hawkwind23

that service calls at Duleek.
    fare is about €3.50!!!
    is that not a bit expensive? its only one stop.

Advertisement