Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stuck in India and struggling to eat, advice please!

Options
  • 10-06-2013 3:18am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 69 ✭✭

Hi all,

I am working in India for a bit and having an awful time. There is 15,000 people on site and not one toilet. People defacating and urinating in the river and really unsafe conditions.

The people are filthy and the food is absolutely disgusting. I should have brought some canned food like I usually do on travels to dirty countries but did not this time.

Has anyone any advice on what to eat over here besides curries? The salads are lethal so I can't eat those neither.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,252 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Poppadoms.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 69 ✭✭MagnusDamm

endacl wrote: »
    Poppadoms.

Something more substantial. They are not sufficient for a complete meal.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 wilsonsamuel

Yes, I have been to that country many times (was born there, lol) it all depends which part of the country you are? It seems that you are somewhere in deep in the countryside.

1. Milk (if you can eat dairy), BOIL IT a few times then consume it..
    2. Fruits, whatever you can get which can be peeled and eaten e.g. bananas
    3. Dry Fruits or Nuts are bit more safer and can be brought from some good retailers (packaged and all that stuff)
    4. Bottled Water
    6. Get Veggies boil them and eat them, you wont be harmed..
    7. Meat is best if you can eat curry, same goes for the fish
    8. Biscuits (Parle G and Britannia are the brand you can trust and are omnipresent)

Hopefully this may help

Please let me know which part of the county you are in, then I may be able to give you specific tips

Have a safe trip

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Vindaloo is pretty great, but I'd steer clear if you've to share a jax with 15k other lads

• Registered Users Posts: 10 wilsonsamuel

Popadums have a huge huge load of sodium, and is not good during hot summer days

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 294 ✭✭JD DABA

Rice is usually a safe bet.

Tell them the river god is angry at people shtting in the river.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 208 ✭✭Norfolk Enchants

I thought the food would be one of the best things about living in India. Is it the food that you dislike or is it the manner in which it is prepared?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,305 ✭✭✭April O Neill

JD DABA wrote: »
    Rice is usually a safe bet.

No it's not, B. cereus spores!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

Today 03:18
    MagnusDamm wrote: »
    Hi all,

I am working in India for a bit and having an awful time. There is 15,000 people on site and not one toilet. People defacating and urinating in the river and really unsafe conditions.

Today, 03:22

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=84996117&postcount=7

I drive from little Mills to Paypal if thats any good? Can you get to Little Mills in the mornings?

This working from home/teleworking carry on - i think you are missing the point

• Registered Users Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭Killer Wench

I'm still trying to work through how a place with no toilets has wi-fi? I am probably missing a huge part of the story.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭Dr.MickKiller

Order an English!

In a hot country, meat goes rancid pretty quickly. That's why they have curries, to disguise the taste.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,250 ✭✭✭✭Iwasfrozen

Order an English!

In a hot country, meat goes rancid pretty quickly. That's why they have curries, to disguise the taste.
    I thought they used curry as a preservative? Wouldn't it make more sense to salt the damn pork like we did?

• Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭Dr.MickKiller

Iwasfrozen wrote: »
    I thought they used curry as a preservative? Wouldn't it make more sense to salt the damn pork like we did?

Don't think there's any preservative in the spices. Here's a link regarding using spices to cover the taste:

http://www.four-h.purdue.edu/foods/India%20frame1.htm

I'd say salting stuff takes time to draw out the moisture, time that you don't have in a hot country.

I could be wrong but I can't think of many cured meats/sausages in really hot countries?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 128 ✭✭MrPoker

Op what kind of place is this where you are working? I'd gtfo out of there if I were you. That's no way to be living and potentially dangerous to your health. I can only imagine the pure filth of the place!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

You can get a decent omelette sandwich most places, also Thalis is alright, just rice and about 3 different curry with it.

Buy some vitamin tablets too.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

Go veggie. Eat only fruit that you peel yourself. Avoid salads and meat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,390 ✭✭✭clairefontaine

I'm still trying to work through how a place with no toilets has wi-fi? I am probably missing a huge part of the story.

Me too. Though a friend of mine posted pics on Facebook from the Masai desert, so I guess it's possible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,390 ✭✭✭IM0

If I was u Id be eating my own puke. recycling if you will.

at least you know everything that should be in it anyway, and you know no one has **** in it

• Registered Users Posts: 5,776 ✭✭✭up for anything

This thread seems to be to be a bit suspect in its intent and it strikes me that the OP must have a magic flying carpet. Sweden to India to Louth? :confused::confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,824 ✭✭✭Qualitymark

I should have brought some canned food like I usually do on travels to dirty countries but did not this time.

Go and buy some canned foods in a shop?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

No it's not, B. cereus spores!

You can't B. Cereus

• Registered Users Posts: 6,302 ✭✭✭positron

OP is clearly trolling and he think India-bashing is all vogue lately.

http://static.fjcdn.com/pictures/Troll_b52e0d_1219041.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 665 ✭✭✭johnwest288

Hi all,

The people are filthy and the food is absolutely disgusting. I should have brought some canned food like I usually do on travels to dirty countries but did not this time.

Has anyone any advice on what to eat over here besides curries? The salads are lethal so I can't eat those neither.

Thanks

Hate that OP. LOL and there was you thinking you would get a nasty hate filled racist thread going! 15,000 filthy people on site crapping in a river indeed!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

Hungry trolls are hungry...

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement