Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

BF4 Is Finally HERE!!!!!!!!!!!!! (PICS/VID)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,789 ✭✭✭grizzly

This should make smoke more useful. No more spotting through it...

X3oqqnN.png

• Registered Users Posts: 14,685 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

kevin2800 wrote: »
    does any know if reviews will be out tonight ?

gametrailers promised a review tonight. but thats US time.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,954 ✭✭✭AbusesToilets

Loving it so far

• Registered Users Posts: 12,300 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

woohoo! my key arrived!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,908 ✭✭✭mozattack

I played BFBC2 yesterday and I must say that BF4 is far more similar to that than BF3 - this probably isn't news but it felt so similar.

Funny that I was in a tank waiting for it to regen but it wasn’t “working”!. Hard to get used to that!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭heebusjeebus

Just saw the glowing review for BF4 on Gametrailers. Cant wait to jump into it this week.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,682 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

mozattack wrote: »
    I played BFBC2 yesterday and I must say that BF4 is far more similar to that than BF3 - this probably isn't news but it felt so similar.

Funny that I was in a tank waiting for it to regen but it wasn’t “working”!. Hard to get used to that!

Agreed.
    Its simple with BF4 they totally toned down the silly overly done suppression of BF3 thus leaving just the solid gun mechanics and a tad of suppression which is fine.
    BC2 had no suppression at all thus making it feel very similar,its still a brilliant game and does quite a few things better than BF3.
    Imho BC2 and BF3 had a baby and the result is BF4 :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,744 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

Reviews are in and are hitting between 75 & 95 with what we expect, single player story not great, multiplayer awesome.

Also little difference between pc and next gen versions in single player.

I did find the criticism from one reviewer that the enemy AI just hide behind stuff when you shoot at them an odd negative.

BF has single player ? :eek::eek::eek: ;);)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,789 ✭✭✭grizzly

Dcully wrote: »
    BF has single player ? :eek::eek::eek: ;);)

It the mode you use to test mapping your keys before multiplayer right?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 995 ✭✭✭iColdFusion

BF4 on X1 vs PS4 vs PC

Gah, waiting until the 22nd is going to be painful :(

BF4 on X1 vs PS4 vs PC

Can't wait to see what Jack Frags says re the XB1 and PS4 debate - think he will have a video later on same - couldn't say anything before the 29th.

Wierd one for me, looking forward to Friday but not overly so, kinda like going to the semi final with tickets for the final on the 29th November!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 3,090 Mod ✭✭✭✭ktulu123

Editing my first BF4 video now. Great first night playing. Few notes on the maps:

Operation Locker: Metro 2.0, cluster **** with 64 players. Suited to 32 with multiple flanking routes. A LOT better than Metro
    Paracel Storm: Awesome!! The boat combat on that map is class
    Zavod 311: Decent mix of infantry & tank combat centered around a tank building factory
    Flood Zone: Mayhem on top of the roofs after the levy breaks
    Golmud Railway: Huge open map, train cart is a capture point that moves towards your teams base. Great fun with scout helicopter on this map. I think each team also gets 6 tanks at the start
    Hanian Resort: Looks beautiful, not much time spent on it yet
    Rogue Transmission: Great craic, action under the dish is mental. Fun trying to fly helicopters under it
    Dawnbreaker: City map, seems to be good. Not much time played. The out of bounds area for jets will need to be changed

Can't wait to see what Jack Frags says re the XB1 and PS4 debate - think he will have a video later on same - couldn't say anything before the 29th.

He has multiple console videos with console footage out now. Think PS4 is meant to be better

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

For those not on VPNs, EU preload has opened finally.

ktulu123 wrote: »
    Editing my first BF4 video now. Great first night playing. Few notes on the maps:

Operation Locker: Metro 2.0, cluster **** with 64 players. Suited to 32 with multiple flanking routes. A LOT better than Metro
    Paracel Storm: Awesome!! The boat combat on that map is class
    Zavod 311: Decent mix of infantry & tank combat centered around a tank building factory
    Flood Zone: Mayhem on top of the roofs after the levy breaks
    Golmud Railway: Huge open map, train cart is a capture point that moves towards your teams base. Great fun with scout helicopter on this map. I think each team also gets 6 tanks at the start
    Hanian Resort: Looks beautiful, not much time spent on it yet
    Rogue Transmission: Great craic, action under the dish is mental. Fun trying to fly helicopters under it
    Dawnbreaker: City map, seems to be good. Not much time played. The out of bounds area for jets will need to be changed

How about destruction, is there much? I hear it is just like BF3 although I saw carnage in the Operation Locker map with walls blowing up everywhere etc.

BF4 on X1 vs PS4 vs PC

Could be a PS fanboy and proclaim victory (against Xbox1) but I stuggle to see any difference - at this level it is pure splitting hairs.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Could be a PS fanboy and proclaim victory (against Xbox1) but I stuggle to see any difference - at this level it is pure splitting hairs.

You wount see difference in videos. Looks like ps4 is running on 900p and xbox one is 720p. You will only notice it in real life and you will.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Yeah, 720p vs 1600x900, but overall, doesn't seem to be much difference - if you read the article, they actually state that the PS4's image quality is not good for the resolution, and that the XBone's picture is actually sharper.

All in all though, 40-60fps in 64 man multiplayer @ 720P 'High Settings' (as a Pc yardstick) with aliasing is not bad for a console at all, and an absolutely massive departure from current-gen Battlefield experience. Something like Call of Duty Ghosts in comparison won't offer the same sort of dramatic leap at all.

Yeah, 720p vs 1600x900, but overall, doesn't seem to be much difference - if you read the article, they actually state that the PS4's image quality is not good for the resolution, and that the XBone's picture is actually sharper.

All in all though, 40-60fps in 64 man multiplayer @ 720P 'High Settings' (as a Pc yardstick) with aliasing is not bad for a console at all, and an absolutely massive departure from current-gen Battlefield experience. Something like Call of Duty Ghosts in comparison won't offer the same sort of dramatic leap at all.

It looks sharper, because Xbox one version has issues with AA. Thats what AA does - smoothens the edges, to look more natural. PS4 can handle higher ress and more AA.

On the other hand AA is a matter of taste. As a PC gamer I choose to turn off AA and not only due to stupid performance hit. I just dont like bluriness that AA offers. I like it more " sharp " as people would put it.

• Advertisement

Watched a lot of Jack Frags PS4 footage and wow I am well impressed... I actually didn't expect it to look so good on PS4 so I am a little surprised.

On a side note, it looks like recoil has been increased too which is great.

He is some player in fairness, was dominating while using a controller which is no mean feat for someone used to k/m set-up.

Just had my first game of multiplayer and its awesome.
    Graphics are just excellent.
    Heres a few screenshots i took with fraps, all ultra except AA and HBAO, i dont need AA anyways @ 1920X1200, 60-100 fps solid for me.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/104923375@N06/10556529356/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/104923375@N06/10556595934/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/104923375@N06/10556550884/

• Registered Users Posts: 6,389 ✭✭✭jonski

Heres a few screenshots i took with fraps, all ultra except AA and HBAO, i dont need AA anyways @ 1920X1200, 60-100 fps solid for me.

What card you using these days Cully ?

edit : actually to hell with that question , I expect more from you Cully , give us your full system specs so we can get an idea of where we stand .

Also , don't have me to reprimand you again , think I have nothing better to do ?

http://www.flickr.com/photos/104923375@N06/10556529356/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/104923375@N06/10556595934/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/104923375@N06/10556550884/

Is optimisation a lot better since beta m8?

random question

can one play commander mode on their tablet while it's preloading I wonder?

How about destruction, is there much? I hear it is just like BF3 although I saw carnage in the Operation Locker map with walls blowing up everywhere etc.

Loads of destruction, a lot more than BF3 but not as much as BC2. Which is to be expected really. The reason Operation Locker is not **** like metro is because you can blast holes in walls etc. :)
    BlitzKrieg wrote: »
    can one play commander mode on their tablet while it's preloading I wonder?

Nope, you have to be rank 10 to play commander.

I'm running everything on Ultra with AA turned off at 1080p. I get 45-60fps while recording with Dxtory. Video will be up soon so ya can see what it looks like.

My Specs:

GTX 580sc
    i7 3770k @4.5
    16gb 1600Ram
    2xOCZ SSD's

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

I only played 10 hours of BF3 in total, and maybe another few hours on the 360 as well - max, maybe 20 hours overall. Not sure why, but I just didn't love BF3, especially compared to BF2, for the first time with a BF games in years. Super excited about BF4 though - anyone here who wasn't mad about BF3 either?

jonski wrote: »
    What card you using these days Cully ?

edit : actually to hell with that question , I expect more from you Cully , give us your full system specs so we can get an idea of where we stand .

Also , don't have me to reprimand you again , think I have nothing better to do ?

i5 2500K @ 4.4 GHZ
    MSI Twin Frozr GTX 660TI
    4GB Corsair Vengeance DDR
    Game installed to Crucial M4 SSD

[was going to get more ram as they recommended 8GB but i find that to be BS to be honest as its silky smooth for me with 4GB]

@ Shadowheath, its hard to know man because after the patch for beta i was getting 60-90 fps on ultra pretty much the same as i am with the full game.
    Its definitely 100 times better than the early days of the beta.
    Its buttery smooth for me and my card isnt high end anymore, its more than capable but definitely not top end.

My highlights from the first night playing. Watch in HD & full screen, there are LOADS of explosions :D Enjoy!

Would also love some help on the Reddits with this one! http://redd.it/1ph05g

Cheers!

• Advertisement

ktulu what is that song that plays at the end of all your videos?

also favourite map so far?

btw we might need a first impressions thread up soonish

Advertisement