Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Suspected rapist buried alive with alleged victim !!

Options
  • 07-06-2013 12:01pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,579 ✭✭✭

Links here and here
    A suspected rapist and murderer has been buried alive in the grave of his alleged victim by enraged villagers, according to reports.

Santos Ramos, 17, had been identified by Bolivian police as a possible culprit in the death of 35-year-old Leandra Arias Janco.

More than 200 residents took the law into their own hands, reportedly seizing the teenager during the woman's funeral earlier this week and burying him alongside his victim.

The villagers in Colquechaca, in the Potosi district of Bolivia's southern highlands, then blocked a road to prevent police and prosecutors from reaching the area, according to an official.

A witness who would not be named said Ramos was tied up before being thrown into the open grave, which was then filled with earth.
    Lets be clear, he wasn't found guilty of anything........ he was murdered.

But IMO - IF he was proven guilty, I wouldn't have a problem with killing him......but burying him alive beside the victim seems ……well a little disrespectful to the victim.

So what does AH think ?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,390 ✭✭✭IM0

lol - but at the same time fuokin hell, he was only SUSPECTED :(

• Registered Users Posts: 20,416 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

Mob rule brings out the very worst in human nature.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

Sometimes people don't listen to the fact that the're only suspected victims. He could have been wrongly accused for all they knew.

If he was guilty, chuck him in a different grave. I have no problem with that.

• Registered Users Posts: 294 ✭✭JD DABA

And the next week theres irrefutable evidence that it was this other guy.

oops.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,428 ✭✭✭Talib Fiasco

How anyone could have the gut or the sanity to bury someone alive is beyond me. It's far worse than shooting or stabbing someone to death imo. And the fact he was never proven guilty or otherwise is disgusting. If he did do it then in fairness he doesn't deserve anything else but burying alive is a step too far.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,041 ✭✭✭Seachmall

If it turns out to be a different person will 40,000 others bury the 200 in the same grave?

And if those 40,000 get the wrong 200 80% of Bolivia's population will end up in that grave.

Doesn't seem like an efficient method of punishing people imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭conor2469

kneemos wrote: »
    Mob rule brings out the very worst in human nature.

He was also accused of throwing a ball out in front of a van and a little dog ran out after it and got run over.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,522 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

Disgusting behaviour from the mob. They're no better than the perpetrator and should all be prosecuted for murder.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,416 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

conor2469 wrote: »
    He was also accused of throwing a ball out in front of a van and a little dog ran out after it and got run over.

The local villagers are accused of burying someone alive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 341 ✭✭Hownowcow

Colquechaca, is a small town in the mountains of Bolivia. Most of it's population are indigenous groups. I suspect their idea of justice does not match what is generally accepted as such here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

"Innocent until proven guilty" is something which runs contrary to human nature really.

In evolutionary terms, it makes more sense for us to be wary/scared of someone who appears to be a danger, rather than give them the benefit of the doubt.

That is, in pure survival terms shunning someone who has been suspected of a transgression outweighs the downside of getting that wrong.

This is why accusations are so powerful and dangerous, especially in relation to violent and sexual crimes - because once the seed is sown, we have difficulty getting it out of our head - "No smoke without fire", etc. And exactly why false accusations should be treated as being nearly as serious as the crime itself.

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭conor2469

kneemos wrote: »
    The local villagers are accused of burying someone alive.

My god you're right!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,518 ✭✭✭stefan idiot jones

I have never been 'accused' of rape.

99.9% of the time the locals get the right culprit.

What's this estimation based on?

Regardless of whether they got the right culprit of not, it still doesn't make what they did fair or reasonable.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,518 ✭✭✭stefan idiot jones

What's this estimation based on?

Regardless of whether they got the right culprit of not, it still doesn't make what they did fair or reasonable.

Local knowledge.

I don't necessarily agree with certain punishments although like the prevoius poster said, certain cultures deal with certain crimes their own way.

The Pirelli necklace is a favourite of mine.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Link to story can not be found (a bit like the suspect in this case I gather)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,309 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

Another good reason not to identify suspects before a trial, I suppose
    As much as I want stronger justice in rape cases, even if he were found guilty, death penalty is just not on

• Registered Users Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭TheLastMohican

vicwatson wrote: »
    Link to story can not be found (a bit like the suspect in this case I gather)

Oh yes it can!

http://www.independent.ie/world-news/suspected-murderer-buried-alive-29326757.html

Must try harder Watson.
    Love and kisses,
    Sherlock

• Closed Accounts Posts: 423 ✭✭bacon n eggs

wow, all I can think of is my own 17year old how I would feel if it were him buried alive and I feel suffocated.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ColeTrain

Resident Evil 4 style village from the sounds of it.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/4/42/Resident_Evil_4_Ganado_village.png

• Advertisement

were they holding pitchforks ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,390 ✭✭✭IM0

Hownowcow wrote: »
    Colquechaca, is a small town in the mountains of Bolivia. Most of it's population are indigenous groups. I suspect their idea of justice does not match what is generally accepted as such here.

ah ok that explains it so. *turns to rest of thread* "right people put down the pitch forks, were dealing with savages here, not 'civilised' people"

*walks away with said pitchfork in hand*

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭desodon

I have grave concerns that the young lad could have been innocent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,425 ✭✭✭Festy

desodon wrote: »
    I have grave concerns that the young lad could have been innocent.

I see what you did there.

• Registered Users Posts: 790 ✭✭✭nucker

This is the problem with vigilante mobs, they tend to accuse someone on a basis of a rumour or a wrongful accusation, they tend to not want to listen to anyone before its too late

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

Nimrod 7 wrote: »
    Sometimes people don't listen to the fact that the're only suspected victims. He could have been wrongly accused for all they knew.

Yes, she could have been pretending she was dead…

• Registered Users Posts: 5,199 ✭✭✭muppetkiller

I wonder in a few days time will they dig it up again and bury him somewhere else.
    Going to your daughters/wife/sisters grave and thinking that the killer (Suspected) was in there too is a bit weird ?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,962 ✭✭✭✭dark crystal

I wonder what the crime rate is like in that region. Being burned or buried alive would seem like a pretty good deterrent to me...

I wonder what the crime rate is like in that region. Being burned or buried alive would seem like a pretty good deterrent to me...

Criminals don't generally think like that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭Kold

I have been twice. Not directly but twice I've been the man to take a woman home when they've been a f*cking state and afterwards been asked if I'd had sex with them the next day. A simple no has been enough but it's extremely upsetting that they even had that thought after I've gone out of my way to make them safe.

Advertisement